Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2019, 8:17 AM

Default Sale of RAW

I have a Colt HBAR Mk 3 that I want to take to an FFL in Nevada and have them sell for me.
How do I clear the weapon from my name with CAL DOJ and notify them of the Legal sale without causing myself legal problems?
The gun was registered in 2000 and I retain the DOJ letter with the gun.
Old 08-31-2019, 9:09 AM

The form you need is BOF 4546 "notice of no longer in possession " I used this form when I turned over three frames that I voluntarily registered. I'm pretty sure it can be used for your RAW. Someone smarter then me will be along shortly to confirm or provide better guidance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2019, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

I would keep the lower since it's a pre-2000 RAW. You can sell the upper and other parts easily enough without any hassle, in state or out of state.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:40 AM

You can send in the no longer in possession, but any firearm that is in your name in AFIS, will not be removed.

If the firearm is sold to someone out of state, that person will not be in AFIS. It will always show as you were in possession of it. Just no longer in possession.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
You can send in the no longer in possession, but any firearm that is in your name in AFIS, will not be removed.

If the firearm is sold to someone out of state, that person will not be in AFIS. It will always show as you were in possession of it. Just no longer in possession.
^^^THIS^^^

There is no method for you to disassociate your name from a record in the Automated Firearm System. However, the submission of the "No Longer in Possession" form will append the record with the information that you informed DOJ that you were no longer in possession.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Hotel California - you can check in, but you can never leave...
Old 09-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't expect too much $$ for it.
Old 09-01-2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Don't expect too much $$ for it.
This is correct. Now if you had an SP1.....
Old 09-01-2019, 7:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is correct. Now if you had an SP1.....
Yep...Poverty Pony Arms has killed the AR market. Great for new buyers, hell on resale prices.
Old 09-02-2019, 6:16 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 201 View Post
I have a Colt HBAR Mk 3 that I want to take to an FFL in Nevada and have them sell for me.
How do I clear the weapon from my name with CAL DOJ and notify them of the Legal sale without causing myself legal problems?
The gun was registered in 2000 and I retain the DOJ letter with the gun.

Also note that, in order for the Notice of No Longer In Possession (BOF 4546) to be processed by CA DOJ BOF, you will need all of the following:
1. Transferee's name.
2. Transferee's address.
3. Out-of-state FFL dealer's name.
4. Out-of-state FFL dealer's contact info (address, phone number, etc).
5. Out-of-state FFL dealer's FFL #.
6 Copy of the bill-of-sale or out-of-state FFL dealer's transfer paperwork.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-03-2019, 8:00 PM

By the way what is so great a pre-2000 RAW?
Old 09-03-2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201 View Post
By the way what is so great a pre-2000 RAW?
No bullet button nonsense. Also, before January 2017, any 30 round mags you had acquired with your pre-2000 RAW were grandfathered. Judge Benitez' ruling reset things, but that has to survive CA9, so who knows?
Old 09-16-2019, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
^^^THIS^^^

There is no method for you to disassociate your name from a record in the Automated Firearm System. However, the submission of the "No Longer in Possession" form will append the record with the information that you informed DOJ that you were no longer in possession.
OK, what happens with regard to my featured AR pattern rifles now that I have removed the BBs and installed standard mag releases? According to my understanding of CADOJ regulations, they are no longer the rifles I registered. So do/may I send them a no longer in possession form?
Old 09-16-2019, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Also note that, in order for the Notice of No Longer In Possession (BOF 4546) to be processed by CA DOJ BOF, you will need all of the following:
1. Transferee's name. Unknown
2. Transferee's address. Unknown
3. Out-of-state FFL dealer's name. None, such nonsense is not required in ID
4. Out-of-state FFL dealer's contact info (address, phone number, etc). See above
5. Out-of-state FFL dealer's FFL #. See above
6 Copy of the bill-of-sale or out-of-state FFL dealer's transfer paperwork. See above.
Note, the transfer took place in the local Walmart parking lot.
Old 09-16-2019, 7:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
Hotel California - you can check in, but you can never leave...
Might as well keep it if they think you will always own it. Consider your registration as another form of criminal record here.
Old 09-16-2019, 9:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
OK, what happens with regard to my featured AR pattern rifles now that I have removed the BBs and installed standard mag releases? According to my understanding of CADOJ regulations, they are no longer the rifles I registered. So do/may I send them a no longer in possession form?
Ah, I always like a mischievous approach to some of the dumb stuff in California's laws.

The concept of "Manufacturing a new weapon from an old weapon" is currently untested in California courts (the federal Fourth Circuit has issued an opinion supporting the theory).

But the conventional wisdom is that it's not smart to "Poke the Bear." Submitting the NIP form on your old rifles would likely invite a lot unwanted attention on the manufacture of your new rifles.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
4. Out-of-state FFL dealer's contact info (address, phone number, etc). See above
6 Copy of the bill-of-sale or out-of-state FFL dealer's transfer paperwork. See above.
So other than bragging that you have escaped the asylum, is there a point you're trying to make?
Old 09-16-2019, 11:57 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Quote:
Since you moved to another State and are no longer a CA resident...

If you submit a Notice of No Longer in Possession, the only thing you need to do is indicate that you are no longer a CA resident, indicate what State you moved to, the date you established residency in that State, and a copy of your valid new State's DL/ID.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).