Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2019, 6:14 PM

Default PPT firearms purchase where current owner never DROS'd

Hey guys, I've got an odd situation. I've got an opportunity to purchase a revolver from an older gentleman at a really good price. The guy bought it from an estate sale 15-20 years ago, but never registered the gun in his name. The gun is still listed in the original owner's name from when that guy bought it in 1980. Its not listed as stolen, and I have every reason to trust the current owner's word. Is there any way to legally transfer the revolver to me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2019, 6:16 PM

go to local LGS and do a ppt , your done.
Old 08-28-2019, 6:46 PM

Thanks, I wasn't sure if there was some rule that the person listed on the DROS had to be the seller. Didn't know if there used to be different rules about PPT not needing a DROS back in the day.
Old 08-28-2019, 8:37 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

No problem, go DROS it!

Guns do not have to be in the CA system to be sold in a PPT in CA.

Old 08-31-2019, 3:32 AM

What if the gun to be private party transferred were in the system to another name past when a FFL and DROS was required to tranfer between private parties? Could that be proof that the seller was party to a prior illegal transfer and set the seller up for trouble?
Old 08-31-2019, 3:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Only check during dros is if stolen. Go do the ppt . Never been asked to prove ownership of any firearm. Never heard of it either.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok55 View Post
What if the gun to be private party transferred were in the system to another name past when a FFL and DROS was required to tranfer between private parties? Could that be proof that the seller was party to a prior illegal transfer and set the seller up for trouble?
It could be but not necessarily.

Imagine a scenario where a guy (Guy A) bought a gun in CA via DROS. Later that guy moves out of state, say to Nevada. He sells the gun in a legal parking lot transaction in Nevada to a Nevada resident (Guy B), no paperwork, all legal.

Guy B laters move to CA and decides to sell the gun rather than register it, which is a perfectly legal option.

In that case we have what you describe, a PPT DROS from a seller that CA does not have on file as the last buyer. Big whoop. It was all legal, and because it is a very real and legal possibility, the DROS will go through.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-31-2019 at 10:19 PM..
Old 09-01-2019, 8:08 AM

Hypothetically in the scenario above, say the current owner (guy B) was a continuous resident of CA for the entire period of the gun being in the database and it is post 1991. Although the database isn't a true record of ownership, it seems that if the DOJ wanted to push it, the current owner/seller (guy B) could be showing the DOJ proof that he participated in an illegal transfer. Guy B would be putting himself and possibly Guy A in potential jeopardy just by trying to sell the gun legally now. The question is does DOJ actually push that or are they happy just to get things right now?
Old 09-01-2019, 10:12 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok55 View Post
Hypothetically in the scenario above, say the current owner (guy B) was a continuous resident of CA for the entire period of the gun being in the database and it is post 1991. Although the database isn't a true record of ownership, it seems that if the DOJ wanted to push it, the current owner/seller (guy B) could be showing the DOJ proof that he participated in an illegal transfer. Guy B would be putting himself and possibly Guy A in potential jeopardy just by trying to sell the gun legally now. The question is does DOJ actually push that or are they happy just to get things right now?
On average, CA-DOJ seems to be acting to get things 'registered'. A new AG may choose to allocate resources differently.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-03-2019, 9:48 PM

I literally just went through this scenario. I bought 2 revolcers via PPT. One was in the system the other was not. The one that was not in the system got delayed (not sure why but the gun in the system was approved). That was the only issue encountered. After 30 days it went undetermined. Check with the FFL before you go there what their policy is on delivering to undetermined DROS. The seller did not get contacted by DoJ.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:33 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg&p View Post
I literally just went through this scenario. I bought 2 revolcers via PPT. One was in the system the other was not. The one that was not in the system got delayed (not sure why but the gun in the system was approved). That was the only issue encountered. After 30 days it went undetermined. Check with the FFL before you go there what their policy is on delivering to undetermined DROS. The seller did not get contacted by DoJ.
I have bought handguns via PPT from new residents, handguns that were never in the system, and the DROS goes through.

Guns not being in the system are probably not the reason your DROS was delayed. DOJ being a screwball government organization, coupled with the numerous ways paperwork can go wrong, are the more likely reason.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-03-2019 at 10:38 PM..