Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 08-03-2019, 7:55 AM

Default Would you get a Glock factory slide cut or buy a fancy new slide...

What would you do? Would you get your factory slide cut (RMR cut, front serrations, and deepen rear serrations), or buy one of the fancy already cut slides i've seen videos of? Who would you get the work, or new slide, from? If this doesn't work out, that's a huge financial loss, and possibly a loss of life if the work is really bad, or the new slide is less reliable. (If you have an answer and don't need to hear any more from me, you don't have to read the rest of this. It's just about how important reliability is to me and how my vision is going).
I figured asking Gunsmiths about slide work would be a good start. I'm not very smart, but I'm told removing any material from the factory slide changes the functionality of the gun, even if I won't be able to tell. The more that gets removed, the more the functionality changes, eventually requiring internal changes. I absolutely don't want that. From what I'm told, the Glock is one of the most reliable handguns in the world, and I think when people say that they mean "as built from the factory". I've take two pistol classes, and every Glock that had lots of internal work had at least one malfunction, most had more. While my boring factory Glock never missed a beat, but I did miss a S ton of my targets. Haha. I just can't see like I used to and I'm hoping the optic can add a few more years to my shooting joy.
That being said, the most important thing to me is to have a reliable gun. That is why I've owned my G19 for so long without getting any slid work done. I'm nervous that it will changes something, or lesson the reliability somehow. I have 2 Glock 19s, with almost 1,000 rounds through each, without a single malfunction. I'm so happy with that, but my eyes are going faster than my shooting skill can keep up, so I need an optic and I don't know the best way to go about it.
Thank you so much for any advice you can give.
- jerdog3
Old 08-03-2019, 9:01 AM

I bought a Zev cut slide for my 19 three years ago, several thousand rounds later, no regrets, no problems.
PS-gave the slide to my son who built his own 19 with it!!

NRA Life Member 45+ yrs
CRPA Life Member 45+ yrs
Navy Pilot Retired
Old 08-03-2019, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodblder View Post
I bought a Zev cut slide for my 19 three years ago, several thousand rounds later, no regrets, no problems.
PS-gave the slide to my son who built his own 19 with it!!
Great info. I will take a look at Zev
Old 08-06-2019, 6:00 PM

Brownells sell several slides too at affordable prices.
Old 08-06-2019, 6:35 PM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Get a Brownells slide. A little more than having your slide sent in to be cut and refinished, but you’ll also have your original still
Old 08-06-2019, 6:51 PM

OP- how many gunfights have you been in the past twenty years?

If none, I wouldn't worry so much about your so-called 'reliability'. I am sure that you know how to clear a malfunction so I say go the least expensive route unless money is no object.

Last edited by savoirrangefaire; 08-06-2019 at 6:55 PM..
Old 08-06-2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoirrangefaire View Post

If none, I wouldn't worry so much about your so-called 'reliability'. I am sure that you know how to clear a malfunction so I say go the least expensive route unless money is no object.
This is honestly the first time I've ever heard, or read, someone say, "don't worry about reliability." Thanks for the advice. Haha.
Old 08-07-2019, 2:09 AM

Quote:

That's my problem. Having been in only two gun fights in the last 40 years, I have been focused on reliability and accuracy all these years! Never once putting costs of the weapon in the 5 five reasons for purchasing a weapon.

Justbthinknof all the money you will save!
But you will have to put up with a Glock that may or may not fire IF you ever need it to defend your life or the life of a loved one. But hey, you will have a few extra bucks in your pocket.

Hell, based on the advice above, sell your 19, grab a beat up old high point and bank some decent cash. Go to Amazon, buy a cheap red dot and some gorilla glue. It will be fine.

OP, buy a quality slide, and test the heck out of it. If you have issues, find a great gunsmith who understands upgraded Glocks.

I have a Guccie Glock 34. Milled slide, RMR, suppersor height night sights. trigger. stippling etc...........

Accurate at 35 yes, but it does take some getting used to with the RMR. But I don't carry it, only a range toy. Perhaps a IDPA pistol. My Stock 19 is my daily, and I know what you mean, the old eyeballs just ain't what they used to be.
Old 08-07-2019, 3:53 AM

I also about a zev. Love it. To do those cuts and an rmr is maybe the same price as just buying one.

Plus the zev is just ninja mall good lookin
Old 08-07-2019, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
That's my problem. Having been in only two gun fights in the last 40 years, I have been focused on reliability and accuracy all these years! Never once putting costs of the weapon in the 5 five reasons for purchasing a weapon.

Justbthinknof all the money you will save!
But you will have to put up with a Glock that may or may not fire IF you ever need it to defend your life or the life of a loved one. But hey, you will have a few extra bucks in your pocket.

Hell, based on the advice above, sell your 19, grab a beat up old high point and bank some decent cash. Go to Amazon, buy a cheap red dot and some gorilla glue. It will be fine.

OP, buy a quality slide, and test the heck out of it. If you have issues, find a great gunsmith who understands upgraded Glocks.

I have a Guccie Glock 34. Milled slide, RMR, suppersor height night sights. trigger. stippling etc...........

Accurate at 35 yes, but it does take some getting used to with the RMR. But I don't carry it, only a range toy. Perhaps a IDPA pistol. My Stock 19 is my daily, and I know what you mean, the old eyeballs just ain't what they used to be.
Thank you Old Marine! Great advice! I'll be trading out my Glock for a less expensive high point ASAP. Haha.
But seriously, really good response! Thank you.
Old 08-07-2019, 6:16 AM

Default Would you get a Glock factory slide cut or buy a fancy new slide...

I went through the same issue earlier this year: either mill my original G17 slide or build a new slide from scratch. Having the original milled would have been cheaper, but I wanted to keep the original slide intact and have a second one (in case I didn’t like the RMR setup)

I was able to build it cheaper than planned waiting for sales and cheaper like new parts on the Classified here.

I’ve only had time to put 100 rounds through but so far so good being reliable using factory parts and an alphawolff slide.

Old 08-07-2019, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I went through the same issue earlier this year: either mill my original G17 slide or build a new slide from scratch. Having the original milled would have been cheaper, but I wanted to keep the original slide intact and have a second one (in case I didn’t like the RMR setup)

I was able to build it cheaper than planned waiting for sales and cheaper like new parts on the Classified here.

I’ve only had time to put 100 rounds through but so far so good being reliable using factory parts and an alphawolff slide.

Great info, and great looking gun! Thank you for the info. I am so torn between a new already milled slide, or send mine in. I do agree that having the original slide just in case is a good idea. That was my thought before I took the pistol, where every single Clock that had an aftermarket slide, barrel, or trigger failed at some point. Having said that, I've heard people say they've never had a problem with aftermarket parts because Glock makes their guns with such loose tolerances.

But thanks to people like you, and this site, I can get some good feedback, except for the guy that said since I haven't been in a gunfight in the past 20 years that reliability doesn't matter. The crazy things some people say. Haha.
Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2019, 8:46 AM

Not all of us are Marines. Nor are many of us Marines who have been involved in gunfights. Get real.
Old 08-07-2019, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Not all of us are Marines. Nor are many of us Marines who have been involved in gunfights. Get real.
I don't understand what you mean. When you tell someone not to worry about a gun's reliability because they haven't been in a gunfight in the past 20 years, you should expect 100% of "gun people" to criticize you. Former military or not, when you tell someone, "you know how to clear a malfunction" implying that in a gunfight the average gun owner should just "slap and rack" and get back into the fight is ludicrous! People die very quickly in gun fights, and I hear they are very stressful. You are not just giving bad advice, you are giving people dangerous advice that can get them, or others, killed.
If you look at all my posts (not many at 110) since I joined in 2015, none of my advice could get anyone killed. You have half the amount of posts, and just joined this year and already given advice that could get someone killed. But since many of us aren't Marines, we should just "get real." Haha.
My advice to you is to change your calguns name and distance yourself from your terrible post. But I'm sure you will do with my advice what I'm doing with yours. Haha.
Be well, and get yourself a reliable gun!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:30 AM

I'm just not overly fearful. I don't get into gunfights every day, if I were a cop I'd be more concerned about reliability but not absurdly so. Have fun, whatever your choice, but stop the fretting, please. JMHO.

Last edited by savoirrangefaire; 08-07-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Old 08-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I'm just not overly fearful. I don't get into gunfights every day, if I were a cop I'd be more concerned about reliability but not absurdly so. Have fun, whatever your choice, but stop the fretting, please. JMHO.
You are correct. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I shouldn't get so sensitive. I do apologize. It's just that, like you JMHO, I put reliability above all else, except in a very few circumstances. I couldn't imagine grabbing my gun in a moment of need, and hearing click instead of BANG! . But to each their own. Be well!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Mine was done by ATEi.

I'm very happy with it.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 08-07-2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanze View Post
Mine was done by ATEi.

I'm very happy with it.
Looks great!
Old 08-07-2019, 9:15 PM

I would say just buy a slide. If you don't like the RMR thing you can always sell it and return to original. A lot of the guys I shoot with could not adjust to using an RMR. It took me a lot of rounds downrange to get use to using one.
Old 08-08-2019, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJeds44 View Post
I would say just buy a slide. If you don't like the RMR thing you can always sell it and return to original. A lot of the guys I shoot with could not adjust to using an RMR. It took me a lot of rounds downrange to get use to using one.
That is great to know. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Bought a complete unused G17 slide w/barrel w/plans to have it milled/coated and a Trijicon RM01 3.5 MOE installed by Suarez Intl but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Cost for the slide was $400 and $800 (current est) for the mods.

About the same or a little less than buying a pre-milled slide/barrel set up 2nd hand. So, it's kind of a wash in terms of price unless you want your slide to be set up a specific way (I do) then buying your own slide and modifying it would probably be the better choice.

Last edited by sgt1372; 08-08-2019 at 10:17 AM..
Old 08-08-2019, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Bought a complete unused G17 slide w/barrel w/plans to have it milled/coated and a Trijicon RM01 3.5 MOE installed by Suarez Intl but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Cost for the slide was $400 and $800 (current est) for the mods.

About the same or a little less than buying a pre-milled slide/barrel set up 2nd hand. So, it's kind of a wash in terms of price unless you want your slide to be set up a specific way (I do) then buying your own slide and modifying it would probably be the better choice.
I didn't think about buying another Glock factory slide and getting that one milled. Great idea! Thank you!
Old 08-10-2019, 12:42 AM

Money wise....it isn't worth it to mill out your glock slide. If you just add front serrations and do a rmr cut with refinishing....you're pushing past 300 dollars. Then you have the wait time...the uncertainty of something getting messed up, etc...

The only positive to milling out your slide is some companies, such as atei, will do a custom fitting of your rmr to your slide. The fit ends up being super tight and it makes for a more reliable rds mount...but with that said...its just an added benefit and not soemthing necessary. Plus they have fitted that specific rmr to your slide and another rmr may not fit.

Right now, Brownells is making a beast of a slide and they can be had for 160-170-180 dollars.... You really can't beat that.

If you're willing to pay a bit more...zev also makes good stuff....you'll be looking at 500 with those but still worth it.

I personally have played with both and the brownells slides can't be beat. They are 100% reliable slides...same as the zev. The only difference i can tell is the zev serrations tend to be fancier but at the end of the day, when bullets start flying...a serration is a serration....

My take on it...buy whatever you think is best regardless of the money spent....realistically speaking....this stuff is going to last you a lifetime...so you can't go wrong either way.
Old 08-10-2019, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog3 View Post
Thank you Old Marine! Great advice! I'll be trading out my Glock for a less expensive high point ASAP. Haha.
But seriously, really good response! Thank you.
Dibs on your boring factory glock..........
Old 08-10-2019, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJeds44 View Post
Question for you, on a side topic.

Do you have to "readjust" going from iron sights to Red Dot and back again?

New to the RMR thing, having a bit of difficulty going back and forth.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I didn't think about buying another Glock factory slide and getting that one milled. Great idea! Thank you!
BTW, I've got 3 G17s (a Gen 2, 3 and 4) w/different sight setups and other non-permanent mods but I didn't want to buy yet another G17.

So, I just bought another slide to mod later for a RMR race set up.

It's pretty easy to resell a modified slide/barrel/sight combo by itself (as long as it's not too "weird" and the price isn't too high) because of the extra cost of the frame, the often undesirable (to the buyers) frame mods and the need to DROS the transaction.

So, it was a much better idea IMO to buy an additional slide to do the RMR mod with rather than dedicate one of my 3 G17s to the project.

Last edited by sgt1372; 08-10-2019 at 5:38 PM..
Old 08-10-2019, 1:00 PM

I would just go with an aftermarket slide. As others have said, by the time you pay for the milling, etc you are pretty close to the cost of a new one or in some cases more. I built up these two G17's for my son and daughter. I haven't mounted the RMR on my daughters pistol yet though.

IMG_0070.jpg
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-10-2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisjohnson View Post
Money wise....it isn't worth it to mill out your glock slide. If you just add front serrations and do a rmr cut with refinishing....you're pushing past 300 dollars. Then you have the wait time...the uncertainty of something getting messed up, etc...

The only positive to milling out your slide is some companies, such as atei, will do a custom fitting of your rmr to your slide. The fit ends up being super tight and it makes for a more reliable rds mount...but with that said...its just an added benefit and not soemthing necessary. Plus they have fitted that specific rmr to your slide and another rmr may not fit.

Right now, Brownells is making a beast of a slide and they can be had for 160-170-180 dollars.... You really can't beat that.

If you're willing to pay a bit more...zev also makes good stuff....you'll be looking at 500 with those but still worth it.

I personally have played with both and the brownells slides can't be beat. They are 100% reliable slides...same as the zev. The only difference i can tell is the zev serrations tend to be fancier but at the end of the day, when bullets start flying...a serration is a serration....

My take on it...buy whatever you think is best regardless of the money spent....realistically speaking....this stuff is going to last you a lifetime...so you can't go wrong either way.
Great info! Thank you for taking the time to give me some good advice.
Old 08-10-2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
Dibs on your boring factory glock..........
Haha!
Old 08-10-2019, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHavasu View Post
I would just go with an aftermarket slide. As others have said, by the time you pay for the milling, etc you are pretty close to the cost of a new one or in some cases more. I built up these two G17's for my son and daughter. I haven't mounted the RMR on my daughters pistol yet though.

Attachment 826532
Beautiful guns, and lucky kids! Thank you!
Old 08-11-2019, 3:13 AM

Quote:
What would you do? Would you get your factory slide cut (RMR cut, front serrations, and deepen rear serrations), or buy one of the fancy already cut slides i've seen videos of? Who would you get the work, or new slide, from? If this doesn't work out, that's a huge financial loss, and possibly a loss of life if the work is really bad, or the new slide is less reliable. (If you have an answer and don't need to hear any more from me, you don't have to read the rest of this. It's just about how important reliability is to me and how my vision is going).
I figured asking Gunsmiths about slide work would be a good start. I'm not very smart, but I'm told removing any material from the factory slide changes the functionality of the gun, even if I won't be able to tell. The more that gets removed, the more the functionality changes, eventually requiring internal changes. I absolutely don't want that. From what I'm told, the Glock is one of the most reliable handguns in the world, and I think when people say that they mean "as built from the factory". I've take two pistol classes, and every Glock that had lots of internal work had at least one malfunction, most had more. While my boring factory Glock never missed a beat, but I did miss a S ton of my targets. Haha. I just can't see like I used to and I'm hoping the optic can add a few more years to my shooting joy.
That being said, the most important thing to me is to have a reliable gun. That is why I've owned my G19 for so long without getting any slid work done. I'm nervous that it will changes something, or lesson the reliability somehow. I have 2 Glock 19s, with almost 1,000 rounds through each, without a single malfunction. I'm so happy with that, but my eyes are going faster than my shooting skill can keep up, so I need an optic and I don't know the best way to go about it.
Thank you so much for any advice you can give.
- jerdog3
Couple things for you to consider. I, too, was considering the same things. Apart from an act of God, I plan on sending a stock slide to ATEi, original gunsmith of the “Roland Special” who got connected with “Roland” AKA Chuck Pressburg through...Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts. ATEi did work on all the Magpul instructor Glocks in the mid to late 2000s, where Steve Fisher was teaching. ATEi even sells the” Roland Special” package or you can buy a new gun with the package pre-constructed for ~$2,400. If you send a gun, you specify which enhancements you want done.

The other option is to buy an aftermarket slide. There’s a bunch out there but I’d go with Agency if this is the route you want to go, since it seems like Agency ambassadors put the most rounds through guns... Steve Fisher, Aaron Cowan, John Dufrane etc.

The last option would be keep your factory slide and buy a another identical Glock factory side to send to ATEi (or Agency), but I’d send it to ATEI...they seem like a mi frills kinda shop...it is the home of the Roland, afterall. This option would give you the best of both worlds-giving you a stock slide (maybe throw a fiber and adjustable rear on it) while also giving you a slide for a MRDS.

Edit: I believe Overwatch Precision now sends their slide to ATEI. Another great option (I hear) is Ben at Boresight. I know CarryTrainer Mickey is a huge fan. I get most of my info from PrimaryAndSecondary.com FWIW

Last edited by Mawl-er7^; 08-11-2019 at 3:18 AM..
Old 08-11-2019, 3:24 AM

The Brownells slides look great for under $200 naked, they also still have some grey Zev Dragonflies in stock for a very Calguns "three fiddie"
Old 08-11-2019, 5:22 AM
Calguns Addict

If I were a betting man (and I am), I’d bet that savoirrangefaire and the old troll/character actor SoCalEnthusiast are one and the same.

Old 08-11-2019, 5:25 AM
Calguns Addict

OP, the Brownells RMR cut slides are currently on sale: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod107977.aspx

The factory slide completion kits are currently out-of-stock https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod108557.aspx, but if you don’t want to wait, you could get an after-market kit: https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod105805.aspx

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 08-11-2019 at 5:35 AM..
Old 08-11-2019, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawl-er7^ View Post
Couple things for you to consider. I, too, was considering the same things. Apart from an act of God, I plan on sending a stock slide to ATEi, original gunsmith of the “Roland Special” who got connected with “Roland” AKA Chuck Pressburg through...Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts. ATEi did work on all the Magpul instructor Glocks in the mid to late 2000s, where Steve Fisher was teaching. ATEi even sells the” Roland Special” package or you can buy a new gun with the package pre-constructed for ~$2,400. If you send a gun, you specify which enhancements you want done.

The other option is to buy an aftermarket slide. There’s a bunch out there but I’d go with Agency if this is the route you want to go, since it seems like Agency ambassadors put the most rounds through guns... Steve Fisher, Aaron Cowan, John Dufrane etc.

The last option would be keep your factory slide and buy a another identical Glock factory side to send to ATEi (or Agency), but I’d send it to ATEI...they seem like a mi frills kinda shop...it is the home of the Roland, afterall. This option would give you the best of both worlds-giving you a stock slide (maybe throw a fiber and adjustable rear on it) while also giving you a slide for a MRDS.

Edit: I believe Overwatch Precision now sends their slide to ATEI. Another great option (I hear) is Ben at Boresight. I know CarryTrainer Mickey is a huge fan. I get most of my info from PrimaryAndSecondary.com FWIW
Thank you so much Mawl-er7^!
This is what I love about the Calguns community. This kind of advice and insight! Thank you so much. I will look at ATEI vs Agency, and maybe flip a coin about whether to send in my slide or buy a factory slide to send in.
But since I have to keep saving up to make any of this happen, everyone can still feel free to add to this post. I'm still so nervous about spending this kind of money and finding that my gun is no longer reliable. I'm clearly looking for someone to say what everyone wants to hear about their gun purchase, "I have the same gun set up the same way and have thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction." Haha! Please someone say that about a Glock 19 RMR setup. Haha!
Old 08-11-2019, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
If I were a betting man (and I am), I’d bet that savoirrangefaire and the old troll/character actor SoCalEnthusiast are one and the same.
Haha! I don't gamble anymore, and I bet you $5 you can't make me. Haha.
Why do some people feel better when spewing negativity? I'm more of a hippy who wants to spread love to all...all guns. I really love guns! Haha. People too, but guns are more reliable. Haha.

And about the Brownells slides, I really have to look into those. If they are reliable, they may be the best deal in town! Thank you!
Old 08-11-2019, 8:06 AM

I sent my G23 slide over to Slide Werks Engineering. Was a good price and the outcome was exactly like the pics of his work. He also does a Military/Veteran discount if you ask about it.

https://www.slideworkseng.com/glock-1

Last edited by RHSth4; 08-11-2019 at 8:09 AM.. Reason: Added a photo of mine.
Old 08-11-2019, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHSth4 View Post
I sent my G23 slide over to Slide Werks Engineering. Was a good price and the outcome was exactly like the pics of his work. He also does a Military/Veteran discount if you ask about it.

RHSth4, your slide looks great! SWE seems to be very reasonably priced too. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? I know when I get a new gun, or accessory, I usually don't have the money to shoot for a long time after. Haha.
Old 08-11-2019, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHSth4 View Post

Where’s the optic cut?

Old 08-11-2019, 9:18 AM

Yea I've had it done for over a year now put thousands through it since having the work done. Have not had any issues with it. Very pleased with his work.
Quote:
RHSth4, your slide looks great! SWE seems to be very reasonably priced too. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? I know when I get a new gun, or accessory, I usually don't have the money to shoot for a long time after. Haha.
Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk