Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2019, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJZ_Katsu View Post
I guess one question on 30300. Will that change in July? In its current state it sounds like I or a store can sell a box of ammo to my 19 year old friend, but July is when sellers have to start running checks, right?
CA PEN 30300 won’t change in 2019. However, CA State residents, since 1/1/2018, haven’t been able to legally sell directly to anyone unless they are, or go through, an ammunition vendor.
Quote:
(CA PEN) 30312.
(a) (1) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale of ammunition by any party shall be conducted by or processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.
(Some exceptions to Face-to-Face sales exist.)

You could sell up to 500 rounds a month, (CA PEN 30342 ) but all sales and transfers have to go through an ammo vendor for recording of the transaction.

On July 1, 2019, CA PEN 30352 and 30370 require ammunition vendors to get DOJ clearance before transferring ammunition.

Quote:
Also, someone told me that the DOJ announced yesterday it is changing the rule to prohibit FFL03s. Is there any veracity to that? I know how complicated it can be wading through any California law, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was confusion.
DOJ has put forth draft regulations for ammo purchases. The initial draft exempted any holder of a federal government firearms license from the background verification process. The newest update, put out this week eliminates the FFL03 exemption. This thread talks about it.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 04-19-2019 at 7:31 AM..
Old 04-19-2019, 12:33 PM

I don't see where it says "friends" in the penal code. I see an exemption for immediate family (Cal. Penal Code § 30312(c)) and that's it. Where in the penal code is the exemption for friends sharing ammo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
According to Gifford's Law Center you will still be allowed to freely "share" ammo with freinds and shooting partners. It says,

Proposition 63 will still authorize people to sell or share ammunition with their spouses, domestic partners, parents, grandparents, children, and grandchildren without going through a licensed vendor. It will also authorize people to freely share (but not sell) ammunition in person with friends and shooting partners, unless they have reason to believe that the ammunition would be illegally provided to a criminal or illegal user.
https://lawcenter.giffords.org/ammun...in-california/

So in your scenario you're just giving or sharing your box of .45 with your buddy and your buddy is just sharing his box of 9mm with you. You wouldn't need to go throw a licensed ammo vender.
Old 04-19-2019, 1:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverser View Post
I don't see where it says "friends" in the penal code. I see an exemption for immediate family (Cal. Penal Code § 30312(c)) and that's it. Where in the penal code is the exemption for friends sharing ammo?
Where in the Penal Code does it say you can’t share ammo with friends?

30312: “(a) (1) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale of ammunition by any party shall be conducted by or processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.”
And,
“(b) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur in a face-to-face transaction....”. See: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=30312

30306 (a)(b): You can’t transfer to prohibited persons or if you believe the ammo will subsequently be sold/transferred to a prohibited person. See: a) https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=30306.
Old 04-19-2019, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
IIRC The procedure posted by DOJ suggests one can get approved the same way DROS works - $19, I think, and a background check, and a long wait.

If one does have a gun in AFS, I believe the fee is $1 and a short wait, possibly instant check (which, if they can do for ammo, they can do for guns, but will they? Hah!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
A couple of small enhancements, if I may:

The check does cost $1 for an AFS entry or a holder of a COE. The system is supposed to respond within 60-90 seconds). That suggests a simple field comparison of DL and AFS data. If the dealer swipes the data strip on your DL and it doesn’t work, they have to manually enter the data. Any mis-Match will probably kick it back. (Firearms purchases get additional scrutiny from other data bases, like APPS).

I know I read in the legalese somewhere (sorry, I don't remember exactly where) that the 'instant' check first queries AFS for an entry matching the customer's information. If satisfied, it will then query the APPS database to verify the customer is not prohibited from possessing ammunition (or firearms).

It wouldn't be a very thorough check otherwise, as a person could have matching records in AFS, but currently prohibited from possessing ammunition due to a recent conviction, restraining order, etc.
Old 04-19-2019, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I know I read in the legalese somewhere (sorry, I don't remember exactly where) that the 'instant' check first queries AFS for an entry matching the customer's information. If satisfied, it will then query the APPS database to verify the customer is not prohibited from possessing ammunition (or firearms).

It wouldn't be a very thorough check otherwise, as a person could have matching records in AFS, but currently prohibited from possessing ammunition due to a recent conviction, restraining order, etc.
OOOOPS.

Good catch.
CA PEN 30370.
Quote:
(a) Commencing July 1, 2019, the department shall electronically approve the purchase or transfer of ammunition through a vendor, as defined in Section 16151, except as otherwise specified. This approval shall occur at the time of purchase or transfer, prior to the purchaser or transferee taking possession of the ammunition. Pursuant to the authorization specified in paragraph (1) of subdivision (c) of Section 30352, the following persons are authorized to purchase ammunition:
(1) A purchaser or transferee whose information matches an entry in the Automated Firearms System (AFS) and who is eligible to possess ammunition as specified in subdivision (b).
(2) A purchaser or transferee who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the department pursuant to Section 26710.
(3) A purchaser or transferee who is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing ammunition in a single ammunition transaction or purchase made pursuant to the procedure developed pursuant to subdivision (c).
(b) To determine if the purchaser or transferee is eligible to purchase or possess ammunition pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (a), the department shall cross-reference the ammunition purchaser’s or transferee’s name, date of birth, current address, and driver’s license or other government identification number, as described in Section 28180, with the information maintained in the AFS. If the purchaser’s or transferee’s information does not match an AFS entry, the transaction shall be denied. If the purchaser’s or transferee’s information matches an AFS entry, the department shall determine if the purchaser or transferee falls within a class of persons who are prohibited from owning or possessing ammunition by cross-referencing with the Prohibited Armed Persons File. If the purchaser or transferee is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm, the transaction shall be denied.
Old 04-19-2019, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
OOOOPS.

Good catch.
CA PEN 30370.
That from DeLeon's SB1235, which superseded parts of prop 63. Prop 63 called for an ammo purchase authorization valid for 4 years, at a cost of $50.

I often get confused as to which was which.
Old 04-19-2019, 6:44 PM

Thanks for sharing that. Interesting!

Quote:
Where in the Penal Code does it say you can’t share ammo with friends?

30312: “(a) (1) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale of ammunition by any party shall be conducted by or processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.”
And,
“(b) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur in a face-to-face transaction....”. See: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=30312

30306 (a)(b): You can’t transfer to prohibited persons or if you believe the ammo will subsequently be sold/transferred to a prohibited person. See: a) https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=30306.
Old 04-23-2019, 5:22 AM

I have a question. I want to sell some antique ammunition online out of state say on GB. Can I do that, as long as it leaves the state?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2019, 2:15 AM

If one has moved since purchasing a handgun how does one update their address to not be denied a purchase?
Old 05-05-2019, 9:16 AM

Default Coming Ammo Purchasing law in Ca.

Not sure how it is going to work.I have a 1943 30 cal carbine that was bought a long time ago.will i be able to buy Ammo for it.Or do i have to register it some how.I am sure it is not on any books.Bought legally but was a long time ago.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termy View Post
Not sure how it is going to work.I have a 1943 30 cal carbine that was bought a long time ago.will i be able to buy Ammo for it.
The 2019 implementation does not have any ammo 'type' restrictions - if you can find .30 carbine, you can have it transferred to you through a CA FFL.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-05-2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
The 2019 implementation does not have any ammo 'type' restrictions - if you can find .30 carbine, you can have it transferred to you through a CA FFL.
Are you saying that the current planned implementation of the law on July 1st 2019 does not match the ammo being purchased with the AFS history? From what I have read so far, it sounds like the system only checks if one has successfully completed DROS, then checks the ID against the "prohibited" list. Am I correct? Please advise. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2019, 3:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
Are you saying that the current planned implementation of the law on July 1st 2019 does not match the ammo being purchased with the AFS history? From what I have read so far, it sounds like the system only checks if one has successfully completed DROS, then checks the ID against the "prohibited" list. Am I correct? Please advise. Thanks.
That's not what I said in the post you quote, but what you wrote is correct with current law.

What you may have recorded in AFS is not any kind of limiting factor to what ammo you may purchase.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Old 05-05-2019, 4:47 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
That's not what I said in the post you quote, but what you wrote is correct with current law.

What you may have recorded in AFS is not any kind of limiting factor to what ammo you may purchase.
This.

One of the clauses in the original draft included a limitation that you could only purchase ammo for calibers that were registered to you.
That never made it into the final bill that passed the assembly/senate and was not a part of Prop-63.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-08-2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstrider View Post
If one has moved since purchasing a handgun how does one update their address to not be denied a purchase?
This might help.
"How much will it cost for the “ammunition eligibility check”?

There are two distinct types of ammo background checks

The “Standard” ammunition check will cost $1.00 and will apply to persons whose information- including current address- matches an entry in CA DOJ’s “Automated Firearm System” (AFS), and who are not on the DOJ list of “Prohibited Armed Persons.

”The “Basic” ammunition check will cost $19.00 and will likely be suited for persons who do not have a firearm listed in the AFS system, or those whose current address differs from their address for any gun listed in their name in the AFS system, or those who have undergone a legal name change (due to marriage, divorce or other reasons) that is different than their record(s) in AFS.

Alternately, a person purchasing a firearm may purchase ammunition at the same time and undergo one background check for the gun and ammunition at no additional cost beyond the firearm background check fees.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:31 PM

So the way to update one's address in the AFS system is by either

1) Buying a new firearm

2) Paying that $19 for the "one time background check" which in turn will update your address?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Default Ammo Purchase's via non-profit 501(c)3 CA Corporatoon

From reading this thread (as well as the updates to the PC), I was under the impression that since I belong to a CA Non-Profit Corporation involved in the Shooting Sports, the Corporation could buy ammo for it's members (as it is a very specialized type used in ISSF competitions) since very few vendors carry this type of Ammo. However, since Prop. 63 passed (and via the updates as outlined), it appears that this exception has since been "expunged". Therefore, since I have a FFL03 and a COE, can I buy ammo on behalf of our CA Non-Profit Corporation or should the Association get an Ammo Vendor's License (as from what I have been told (and have seen through other posts), it is not that difficult to get (and also a Re-Seller's license as well)).

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2019, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABerettaUser View Post
From reading this thread (as well as the updates to the PC), I was under the impression that since I belong to a CA Non-Profit Corporation involved in the Shooting Sports, the Corporation could buy ammo for it's members (as it is a very specialized type used in ISSF competitions) since very few vendors carry this type of Ammo. However, since Prop. 63 passed (and via the updates as outlined), it appears that this exception has since been "expunged". Therefore, since I have a FFL03 and a COE, can I buy ammo on behalf of our CA Non-Profit Corporation or should the Association get an Ammo Vendor's License (as from what I have been told (and have seen through other posts), it is not that difficult to get (and also a Re-Seller's license as well)).

Thanks!
PEN 30342
Quote:
(a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a valid ammunition vendor license shall be required for any person, firm, corporation, or other business enterprise to sell more than 500 rounds of ammunition in any 30-day period.
(b) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
Also, PEN 30352:
Quote:
(b) Commencing July 1, 2019, an ammunition vendor shall electronically submit to the department the information required by subdivision (a) for all sales and transfers of ownership of ammunition.
There doesn’t seem to be an exception for FFL03/COE.

Once you, or your organization have the Vendor’s License, you become subject to local business licensure activities, including reporting sales taxes.
Old 05-27-2019, 8:39 PM

Are there any sections of the law about the legality of my friends shooting my ammo and giving me twenty bucks for it, but don't take any home with them?

I am under the impression that paying for ammo that's shot on the premises same day is different from taking it home, but not sure if that means I can collect money from them after July 1st without going to the counter and paying a fee to the state.
Old 05-27-2019, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Are there any sections of the law about the legality of my friends shooting my ammo and giving me twenty bucks for it, but don't take any home with them?

I am under the impression that paying for ammo that's shot on the premises same day is different from taking it home, but not sure if that means I can collect money from them after July 1st without going to the counter and paying a fee to the state.
The Giffords, who wrote the Prop 63 language, said:
Quote:
Proposition 63 will still authorize people to sell or share ammunition with their spouses, domestic partners, parents, grandparents, children, and grandchildren without going through a licensed vendor. It will also authorize people to freely share (but not sell) ammunition in person with friends and shooting partners, unless they have reason to believe that the ammunition would be illegally provided to a criminal or illegal user.
And,
“(b) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur in a face-to-face transaction....”.

30306 (a)(b): You can’t transfer to prohibited persons or if you believe the ammo will subsequently be sold/transferred to a prohibited person.

What your friends want to do with their money is their business, but they can’t buy ammo directly from you.

But, you can share ammo with them.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Are there any types of license I can obtain that allow me to perform those transactions without running a background check on them? Or am I allowed to charge them to borrow my gun and give them ammo free with that?

A few ranges claim they can sell ammo for use on their range without running a check as long as it is all fired at that time.
Old 05-28-2019, 6:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Are there any types of license I can obtain that allow me to perform those transactions without running a background check on them? Or am I allowed to charge them to borrow my gun and give them ammo free with that?
Why not just charge your friends a “friendship fee”?

Or, you could get an ammo vendor license, but all licenses cost money, so it would cost you some cash to be able to sell ammo at cost.

Arguably, if you exchange money and ammo at the same time, you’re making a sale.
Quote:
A few ranges claim they can sell ammo for use on their range without running a check as long as it is all fired at that time.
All ranges can claim that...it’s in the statute.

You should, at a minimum, read the links attached to the blue code numbers in my previous post. You will find things like:
Quote:
(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of ammunition to any of the following:

(9) A person who purchases or receives ammunition at a target facility holding a business or other regulatory license, provided that the ammunition is at all times kept within the facility’s premises.
You may also learn other things about the law you’re trying to circumvent.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 05-28-2019 at 6:46 AM..
Old 05-28-2019, 7:04 AM

I'm going to be traveling, I should be able to buy all the ammo I want in NV or Utah?
Old 05-28-2019, 7:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madolive3 View Post
I'm going to be traveling, I should be able to buy all the ammo I want in NV or Utah?
You can, however, you cannot bring it back into this state.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM

I have several questions and hope I can gets answers and please don't tell me its been answered because I have looked but did not find it, I just need a little help that's all

1. What is the limit to buying ammo after 7-1-19..... how many rounds ???
2. Where do you get this license to buy ammo ?????
3. If you have a current CCW will that supersede the license to buy ammo ????? reason I ask this is I have purchased several hand guns and was asked by the FFL for my handgun safety certificate, its expired but he excepted my current CCW and said its supersedes the HSC
4. Do you need to be shown to own say a .380 to be able to buy that caliber ammo ?????
5. I moved a year ago and most of my hand guns have my old address, is that a problem but in the mean time I have purchased several hand guns with my new address along with my receiving new CCW ???????
6. What about rare ammo , there is only one manufacture in the country that sells ammo I need for my handgun and its in Georgia, is there limit to how much I can buy after 7-1-19 ??????? and going thru a FFL.
7. Are all bullets treated the same , say a .22 a 30-06 and .410 SG ???????????

I have always stated if you have a current CCW we should be except from the 10 day waiting period, they put us thru the ringer and we are one of the good guys.

This state is crazy, they need to understand the rules do not work and they only come up with these new rules and regulations for political gain and to make it look like they actuality care about the state and gun crime.

Ed

Last edited by edkel1; 06-04-2019 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: adding a thought
Old 06-04-2019, 10:47 AM

NRA and CRPA Hosting Webinar Regarding Upcoming California Ammunition Background Check Requirements:https://cc.readytalk.com/registratio...gn=wlbgg6ih9y8
Old 06-04-2019, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Everything you’ve asked about is in the previous posts, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkel1 View Post
I have several questions and hope I can gets answers and please don't tell me its been answered because I have looked but did not find it, I just need a little help that's all

1. What is the limit to buying ammo after 7-1-19..... how many rounds ???
No limit.
2. Where do you get this license to buy ammo ?????
No license needed. ID check at point of sale takes effect on July 1, 2019, will cost $1.00, IF you are in AFS.
3. If you have a current CCW will that supersede the license to buy ammo ????? reason I ask this is I have purchased several hand guns and was asked by the FFL for my handgun safety certificate, its expired but he excepted my current CCW and said its supersedes the HSC.
The CCW doesn’t provide exemption from the ID check. The HSC statutes provide an exemption for CCW holders. CCW also exempts you from the Safe Handling Demonstration
4. Do you need to be shown to own say a .380 to be able to buy that caliber ammo ?????
No.
5. I moved a year ago and most of my hand guns have my old address, is that a problem but in the mean time I have purchased several hand guns with my new address along with my receiving new CCW ???????
Your address as used in the most recent purchase will be reflected in the AFS during the ID check. ETA: See following post on changing address in AFS.
6. What about rare ammo , there is only one manufacture in the country that sells ammo I need for my handgun and its in Georgia, is there limit to how much I can buy after 7-1-19 ??????? and going thru a FFL.
Again, no limit, but, purchases from out-of-state must come through an ammo vendor for transfer to you. An exception is made for holders of FFL03 + COE.
7. Are all bullets treated the same , say a .22 a 30-06 and .410 SG ???????????
”Bullets” are reloading components and aren’t controlled by this law. Finished ammunition is controlled, regardless of caliber.

I have always stated if you have a current CCW we should be except from the 10 day waiting period, they put us thru the ringer and we are one of the good guys.
The Courts have ruled against your opinion.

This state is crazy, they need to understand the rules do not work and they only come up with these new rules and regulations for political gain and to make it look like they actuality care about the state and gun crime.
What makes you think they don’t understand all of that?

Ed

Last edited by Dvrjon; 06-04-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Old 06-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Default AFS Address Update through CFARS

Previous discussions focused on how one can buy ammunition when one has moved from the address in AFS recorded during their last firearm purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstrider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
So the way to update one's address in the AFS system is by either

1) Buying a new firearm

2) Paying that $19 for the "one time background check" which in turn will update your address?
Quote:
Yes.

Current law does not require that one owns any guns at all, or have any in AFS, or have any of the same caliber, or have an up-to date address in AFS.

It will, eventually, be 'easier' if you do have a gun listed in AFS, but there is an alternate path that is supposed to work if you do not.
Quote:
This is a bit of a sticky issue. The statute says:
That leads me to believe that, if one has moved since one’s last purchase, one will not be approved.
Quote:
Urg. Looks that way - thanks for the detail, I had forgotten.
I’ve been looking around for an answer to this, and it lies in another regulatory package already submitted for OAL review.
Quote:
§ 4351. Purpose.
(a) Commencing on or before July 1, 2019, an individual shall be able to electronically update one or more AFS records through the California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) to match his or her current name, date of birth, address, and California Driver License, California Identification Card, or military identification number
So, if you are in AFS, but have moved since your last firearm purchase, you will be able to update the address information through CFARS. However, this still provides no relief to folks who are not in AFS and pay the $19 for a single-purchase authorization.

(It’s also interesting to see that the first draft, in the Privacy section, indicated DOJ was using the CA PEN 11106 authority to collect ID information for ammunition sales. That’s been deleted, as it would be contrary to the purposes of PEN 11106 and the AFS.)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Default Folloow-up to 06/09/19 LA Times Article

Hello,

This is in regards to the article "Sales of Ammo surge as ID law nears" in the 06/09/19 LA Times (Section B, Page 1) and there was one paragraph that I took note about:

"The Legislature approved a bill (SB 1235?) the preempted parts of Newsom's initiative to create a less complicated screening process that would provide immediate clearance for each purchase for those buying ammo, doing away with the four-year permit"

Furthermore, under SB 1235, certain groups were exempted (i.e. Non-Profit California Corporations for Shooting Sports) from these provisions as well as ranges that have memberships (i.e. Triple BBB, Redlands, and others, etc.) do not need to run background checks on their members buying ammo. However, as noted earlier in these threads, these provisions have "vanished".

Therefore, what provisions were overridden by SB 1235 (as we had been relying on this) and which ones were not?

Thank you.

Last edited by LABerettaUser; 06-10-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Old 06-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABerettaUser View Post
Therefore, what provisions were overridden by SB 1235 (as we had been relying on this) and which ones were not?

Thank you.
SB 1235 impacted 3 sections of Proposition 63:
-Amended Prop 63 language for CA PEN 30352. This language conformed to changes in CA PEN 30370.
-Added CA PEN 30370. This requires, after 7/01/2019, that ammo background checks be electronic.
-Deleted Prop 13 language for CA PEN 30370. This had established the “Ammunition Purchase Card”.

All other Prop 13 provisions remain in place, including the magazine confiscation which is held in abeyance due to court challenges.
Old 06-10-2019, 8:56 PM
Administrator

Michel & Associates will have an on-line seminar; from email today :
Quote:
Big changes to California ammunition law are taking effect on July 1, 2019.

Do you know what's required to obtain ammunition?

Join us for a free live webinar explaining the new ammunition purchasing laws that will take effect on July 1, 2019. Background checks will be required of anyone purchasing or receiving ammunition from a firearm dealer or ammunition vendor. The free webinar will cover DOJ's various methods of conducting these checks, the seller’s obligations, and the status of the CRPA lawsuit challenging these new laws.

The webinar is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. PDT on Wednesday, June 26, 2019, and it is expected to run for approximately 1.5 hour.

If you are unable to attend, don't worry. A recording will be saved and posted to CRPA's website later that day.

Should you wish to attend the live webinar, be sure to register in advance, as space is limited.
Old 06-10-2019, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Michel & Associates will have an on-line seminar; from email today :
Pardon the cynicism, but, what will take 1.5 hrs? This is pretty straight forward.
Old 06-10-2019, 9:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Pardon the cynicism, but, what will take 1.5 hrs? This is pretty straight forward.
... he says, in the 270th post in this thread.

I suspect they know their prospective participant capabilities.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 06-11-2019, 5:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
... he says, in the 270th post in this thread.
Which started 18 months ago.

Remove the dupes and the editorial comments (“Cali s***s”, etc.) and you’re down to a half dozen central issues.

Since the statute has been in place for a while, the Jun 26 date may give them access to the finalized regulations.
Old 06-11-2019, 5:57 AM
Calguns Addict

DOJ dropped new emergency Identification Requirements for Firearms and Ammunition Purchases and Eligibility Checks regs yesterday.

They appear to address the “Federal Limits Apply” CA DLs.

The Finding of Emergency cites the Real ID and AB 60 debacle.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 06-11-2019 at 6:01 AM..
Old 06-11-2019, 9:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Remove the dupes and the editorial comments (“Cali s***s”, etc.) and you’re down to a half dozen central issues.
mea culpa, haven't swept in here for a while - 38 deleted.

Central issues are limited; fearful imagination less so.
- Thomas Sowell

Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
mea culpa, haven't swept in here for a while - 38 deleted.

Central issues are limited; fearful imagination less so.
No worries. If folks didn’t litter so carelessly, the janitors wouldn’t be scrambling. Sort of a virtual “Whack-a-Mole” (apologies to PETA) on meth and acid....
Old 06-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Default Timing of "LGS orders for me" re 7/1

Apologies, should have posted this here to begin with.

If I have LGS order ammo for me to be picked up in store, what is the applicable deadline to stay clean here.

Do I have to pick it up from gun store by 7/1 or they just need to receive it in the door via UPS or whatever by 7/1?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
Apologies, should have posted this here to begin with.

If I have LGS order ammo for me to be picked up in store, what is the applicable deadline to stay clean here.

Do I have to pick it up from gun store by 7/1 or they just need to receive it in the door via UPS or whatever by 7/1?
Quote:
(a) Commencing July 1, 2019, the department shall electronically approve the purchase or transfer of ammunition through a vendor, as defined in Section 16151, except as otherwise specified. This approval shall occur at the time of purchase or transfer, prior to the purchaser or transferee taking possession of the ammunition. Pursuant to the authorization specified in paragraph (1) of subdivision (c) of Section 30352, the following persons are authorized to purchase ammunition:
That seems to say you have to transfer NLT 30 Jun 2019.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
That seems to say you have to transfer NLT 30 Jun 2019.
Thanks!