Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2016, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Might be best to apply and get rejected then to not apply at all.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

I suppose this would come down to how they would treat "good faith to register" and if that would be different than not registered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2016, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbbt View Post
I have a cheap electric engraving tool. I use it in my tools but also used it on my lower. Worked perfect I am just not an artistic person so unfortunately it wasn't the best looking

Did that get it to meet the ATF specs for engraving? .005 deep, 1/16 text size or larger, etc.?

Old 12-08-2016, 8:53 AM

I made sure it did when I did the engraving. But I gave them the pics and my application is back updated from incomplete to processing

Old 12-08-2016, 9:18 AM

Read AB 857
It states there are exemptions to the new law.

29181. Section 29180 does not apply to or affect any of the following:

(a) A firearm that has a serial number assigned to it pursuant to either Section 23910 or pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Part 1 of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(b) A firearm made or assembled prior to December 16, 1968, that is not a handgun.

(c) A firearm which was entered into the centralized registry set forth in Section 11106 prior to July 1, 2018, as being owned by a specific individual or entity if that firearm has assigned to it a distinguishing number or mark of identification to that firearm by virtue of the department accepting entry of that firearm into the centralized registry.

(d) A firearm that has a serial number assigned to it pursuant to Chapter 53 of Title 26 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(e) A firearm that is a curio or relic, or an antique firearm, as those terms are defined in Section 479.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

I don't temember if it was exemption A or C , but if you go read the federal codes it describes manufactures, importers " or anyone who makes a firearm" AKA maker, it tells them what and how your firearm needs to be marked with.

So many of us, are following these Federal guidelines and marking our firearms so we fall into the exemption of A or C, therefore the new law as proposed in AB857 does not apply to us.

You can go follow the legal paper trail as many of us have and see what conclusion you come to as well

But as far as registration, if you build an assault weapon, it will have to be registered as such, featureles, no registration.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Can't sue , unless affected. It also shows proof of ownership

-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 12-08-2016, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety View Post
Can't sue , unless affected. It also shows proof of ownership

Had some father/son transfers to do as well so submitted them all together. Let's see what happens

Old 12-12-2016, 3:56 PM

Ok need to google up a link to the volreg site.
Old 12-12-2016, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwry13 View Post
New to the forums. I'm having issues understanding these new laws. Would the locking block count as the insert for a Polymer 80 PF 940 frame?

Negitive. Firearms need to be serialized to ATF specs.

Locking block does NOT suffice. Insert needs to be visible on the from outside, so the serial number engraved on it can be read.
Old 12-12-2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
I made sure it did when I did the engraving. But I gave them the pics and my application is back updated from incomplete to processing

Did you send pics with a sled or empty magwell? Mine just came back asking for pictures.

Old 12-12-2016, 7:20 PM

For a AR pistol, is there a max length the barrel and/or overall length the pistol can be?

Asked another way, can I throw an upper with a 16 inch barrel on a pistol? As long as I don't put a butt stock and buffer tube that accepts a butt stock, it would be okay?
Old 12-12-2016, 8:10 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
For a AR pistol, is there a max length the barrel and/or overall length the pistol can be?

Asked another way, can I throw an upper with a 16 inch barrel on a pistol? As long as I don't put a butt stock and buffer tube that accepts a butt stock, it would be okay?
If the OAL is greater than 26" or the barrel is over 16" but it lacks a buttstock, it becomes a Title-1 "Other" same as a pistol-grip shotgun or a stripped lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-13-2016, 6:15 AM
retired Goon

Quote:

Under CA laws...

If the firearm has a barrel length of 16" or greater, then it is legally not a "handgun".

In order to be considered a "handgun", the barrel length must be less than 16".

There is no maximum overall length requirement for "handguns" under CA laws/regulations.
There is minimum overall length requirements in order to meet the single-action revolver and single-shot pistol exemptions to CA unsafe handgun laws.

Therefore...
Under CA laws, installing a 16" barrel upper on an AR receiver will make it a "long gun", not a "handgun".

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-13-2016 at 6:18 AM..
Old 12-13-2016, 7:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
If you make a semi-auto centerfire rifle with a fixed 10 round magazine that can not be removed without dissembling the firearm's action from an "80% receiver", then it is not considered an assault weapon.

Since it is not an assault weapon, it can/does not need to be registered as an assault weapon during the 2017 grace period (01-01-2017 to 12-31-2017).

However...

Starting 01-01-2019, all home built firearms need to be marked and any unmarked home built firearm will be illegal to possess.

If the home built firearm is not marked by 06-30-2018, then the owner will need to apply to CA DOJ for approved/provided marking information. This process will register the home built firearm as a non-assault weapon with CA DOJ.

If the home built firearm is marked before 07-01-2018, then the owner/maker can legally mark the firearm with whatever information they want (as long as it meets BATFE marking requirements). This will not register the home built firearm with CA DOJ.
thank you for clarifying this. I have been confused since this crap was signed into law with all the threads regarding it. it's hard to keep up. engraving is not an issue since many places can do it for us with minimal effort and the cost isn't that bad.

again thank you.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-13-2016, 2:32 PM

I found an engraver to engrave the information onto my lower, but I am confused on the serial number part.

I want to register it to DOJ and get a serial number from them. What paperwork do I need to send in to get this number?

Or Do I just put in my own number?

I know the last day to have it registered is dec 31st, 2016 in order to keep it as an assault weapon.

I am looking to build an ar-15

How long is the process and what are the steps.

The 80% has not been milled out yet.

Thanks ahead of times guy!
Old 12-13-2016, 2:37 PM

^^^ Ugh.

It's as if people don't bother to read 7 page threads, or a page of 700 other threads explaining all of this.
Old 12-13-2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicor View Post
Did you send pics with a sled or empty magwell? Mine just came back asking for pictures.

Sorry for the delay, that asked me specifically for a pic of the magazine either by itself or in the magwell. So I threw a 10 rounder shorty in the magwell and took a pic

Old 12-13-2016, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Under CA laws...

If the firearm has a barrel length of 16" or greater, then it is legally not a "handgun".

In order to be considered a "handgun", the barrel length must be less than 16".

There is no maximum overall length requirement for "handguns" under CA laws/regulations.
There is minimum overall length requirements in order to meet the single-action revolver and single-shot pistol exemptions to CA unsafe handgun laws.

Therefore...
Under CA laws, installing a 16" barrel upper on an AR receiver will make it a "long gun", not a "handgun".

Thank you Quiet and Cokebottle for the quick responses.
Old 12-13-2016, 6:19 PM

I'm thinking of buying 80% lower, just machine it and engrave before 7/1/2017. My final goal is futureless build, but I have no real urgency in building it completely before 7/1/2017....

1) Can I do that?
2) Do I have to buy 80% lower before 12/31/2016 if the plan is featureless or, who knows, maybe it will get stuck in just machined state for extended time (well beyond 7/1/2107)?
Old 12-13-2016, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
I'm thinking of buying 80% lower, just machine it and engrave before 7/1/2017. My final goal is futureless build, but I have no real urgency in building it completely before 7/1/2017....

1) Can I do that?
2) Do I have to buy 80% lower before 12/31/2016 if the plan is featureless or, who knows, maybe it will get stuck in just machined state for extended time (well beyond 7/1/2107)?
Assuming you mean "featureless build" and not "futureless build" (not making fun just clarifying), then (1) yes and (2) no.
Old 12-13-2016, 8:15 PM
Señor Member

Yep... Two (really three) things are changing.

One impacts only featured builds without fixed magazines.

2nd is that you must register (not AW registration, just regular rifle/pistol registration... you CAN NOT assemble an AW next year (nor now))

3rd is that if you have not already engraved and serialized your 80% prior to July 2017, the DOJ will assign a serial number to you....

But there's the catch mentioned above.
Apparently the DOJ has been rejecting VolReg submissions, effectively forcing us into the new system.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-13-2016, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, that asked me specifically for a pic of the magazine either by itself or in the magwell. So I threw a 10 rounder shorty in the magwell and took a pic

Ok thanks

Just submitted pics. I did both sides of the pistol, up close or engraving then an up close pic of the mag riveted to accept 0 rounds

Old 12-13-2016, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Assuming you mean "featureless build" and not "futureless build" (not making fun just clarifying), then (1) yes and (2) no.
Sorry, yes featureless..

And in the situation above, is it really necessary to buy lowers BEFORE 12/31/2016?
Old 12-13-2016, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Yep... Two (really three) things are changing.

One impacts only featured builds without fixed magazines.

2nd is that you must register (not AW registration, just regular rifle/pistol registration... you CAN NOT assemble an AW next year (nor now))

3rd is that if you have not already engraved and serialized your 80% prior to July 2017, the DOJ will assign a serial number to you....

But there's the catch mentioned above.
Apparently the DOJ has been rejecting VolReg submissions, effectively forcing us into the new system.
Guys here can be wrong: http://www.80percentarms.com/pages/faq but they "If you engrave a serial number of your choosing into your completed 80% lower prior to Jul 1, 2018, you will not be affected by this law and you do not need to notify any government agency that you built a firearm."
Old 12-13-2016, 8:38 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Sorry, yes featureless..

And in the situation above, is it really necessary to buy lowers BEFORE 12/31/2016?
If you are going featureless (or fixed magazine, or single shot, or bolt action, or any other form that is exempt from AW regulations) then you can buy and build an 80% in 2025 if they don't ban them.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2016, 8:38 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Guys here can be wrong: http://www.80percentarms.com/pages/faq but they "If you engrave a serial number of your choosing into your completed 80% lower prior to Jul 1, 2018, you will not be affected by this law and you do not need to notify any government agency that you built a firearm."
They are probably correct.

Quote:
Old 12-14-2016, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicor View Post
Ok thanks

Just submitted pics. I did both sides of the pistol, up close or engraving then an up close pic of the mag riveted to accept 0 rounds

Perfect, I was going to do that but I went out and bought a stubby 10 rd magazine just to play it super safe. But nothing wrong with you're way

Old 12-14-2016, 7:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
oh and I have serial number just for mine. it will be very offensive as well.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 12-14-2016, 8:11 AM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

I'm more concerned of the transferring/selling portion. 80% milled out w/serial #'s--is a no-go: 1-1-2019

However, if I Volreg them before, I can? I know people have been denied, but that was for AR pistols. I'm just talking about a stripped lower, not in any configuration.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 AM

Default Can someone check this article for me?

After doing some research, I wrote this blog post about 80% lower receivers and registering them in California. Just wanted to make sure my information is correct before I send it out.

Can you guys make sure that I am correct and critique it for me. What other information should I add?

Here is the link to the blog post.

https://www.bullseyebishop.com/blogs...-in-california

Let me know! Thanks ahead of time guys
Old 12-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Calguns Addict

I sent the DOJ a question, telling them I need to be on the centralized registry before 1-1-17, so that I can register these firearms as RAW as per SB880 without having to change the SN due to AB857 for being a home build.

Their answer (I am paraphrasing):

"You cannot register a firearm under SB880 early"

I think I need to call.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleallday View Post
After doing some research, I wrote this blog post about 80% lower receivers and registering them in California. Just wanted to make sure my information is correct before I send it out.

Can you guys make sure that I am correct and critique it for me. What other information should I add?

Here is the link to the blog post.

https://www.bullseyebishop.com/blogs...-in-california

Let me know! Thanks ahead of time guys
Aside from pistols, why is it necessary to vol-reg an 80 completed into a rifle? No such requirement exists prior to 2016 and the new laws do not change that until 2018. if you want to reg as an AW in 2017, you need to possess the completed rifle on 12/31/2016 but the completed rifle need not be vol-reg'd right?
Old 12-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
Aside from pistols, why is it necessary to vol-reg an 80 completed into a rifle? No such requirement exists prior to 2016 and the new laws do not change that until 2018. if you want to reg as an AW in 2017, you need to possess the completed rifle on 12/31/2016 but the completed rifle need not be vol-reg'd right?
I just called. I'll respond to this later, but short answer for now is you are correct. If you are worried about AB857 and SB880 only, whether you want to comply with one, the other, or both, your deadline is not 1-1-17 in any of those three cases, but a little bit later.

except for possession of course. posession by 1-1-17 is mandatory, but as far as "proof", gov registration, etc, 1-1-17 is not the due date. We have more time.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:37 AM

Well the thing is a lot of people been asking me about registering their 80% because of the low inventory of lower receivers being pushed out by gun stores and ffl dealers.

Its harder to find and as the time goes by the window of opportunity will be slimmer.

If you want to have an AR with features( an assault rifle after jan 1st 2017) you should have your receiver done by that time, if not the whole gun.

From my understanding, you can register just the receiver after its milled out.

Let me ask you this, how do they know youve built it before 12/31/2016? Honer system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post

Last edited by mikeleallday; 12-14-2016 at 11:44 AM..
Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 AM

Default Looking forward

Looking forward to your reply white rabbit! I also tried calling, but I kept getting machines.

They make it super hard to get information. Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I just called. I'll respond to this later, but short answer for now is you are correct. If you are worried about AB857 and SB880 only, whether you want to comply with one, the other, or both, your deadline is not 1-1-17 in any of those three cases, but a little bit later.

except for possession of course. posession by 1-1-17 is mandatory, but as far as "proof", gov registration, etc, 1-1-17 is not the due date. We have more time.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure all these builds are futureless. Between now and 2021 all semi-auto's will be banned.

I hope I am wrong.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry if I am missing something....

Is it correct to say that one would be in compliance with the law (based on what is known now) with a featureless completed 80% build without required engravings up to July 2018 ?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 12-14-2016, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleallday View Post
Looking forward to your reply white rabbit! I also tried calling, but I kept getting machines.

They make it super hard to get information. Thanks !
So, bottom line, is "the centralized registry" is any registry.

So your 80%:

Must be on a centralized registry by July 1 2018:

29181. Section 29180 does not apply to or affect any of the following:

(c) A firearm which was entered into the centralized registry set forth in Section 11106 prior to July 1, 2018, as being owned by a specific individual or entity if that firearm has assigned to it a distinguishing number or mark of identification to that firearm by virtue of the department accepting entry of that firearm into the centralized registry.

They don't care, as long as it's "registered".

Law kicks in July 1 2018:

Commencing July 1, 2018, prior to manufacturing or assembling a firearm,..... (etc)

So your due date for an 80% is 7-1-2018. Period. You want to make an 80% on 6-1-2018? you are GTG, you can assign your own serial number, and if it is on a centralized registry by 7-1-2018, you are done.

The process to do that of course is TBD. As I have said in a previous page, my 80%'s have been rejected (submitted mid November) for Firearm Ownership Report because the regulations are not written yet.

EVERY 80 is affected of course. If you miss the 7-1-2018 date, you are still GTG, you just have to have a serial number assigned by the DOJ, and whatever regulations yet to be written ($100 fee? each? etc? who knows)

------------------------

OK, so that is 80's. Bring in the AWB and the date is slightly different:

SB880: Any person who, ...to December 31, 2016, inclusive, lawfully possessed an "assault weapon" blah blah...readily removed from the firearm with the use of a tool ... shall register the firearm before January 1, 2018, but not before the effective date of the regulations adopted pursuant to paragraph (5)

So If you have an 80% in your possession, built as a functioning rifle, legal config (bullet button), self serialized, and unregistered:

Becomes AW on jan 1.
Needs to be registered between reg release and 1-1-2018
At which point you are on a centralized registry, and before 7-1-2018.
Thus are covered.

So, your true date is: ownership of a built-out 80% in a legal condition today, regardless of being "on a list" or not. 100% of 80's have to be "on a list" by 7-1-2018 whether AW, single shot, bolt action, break action, pulse-laser with 40 watt range, you have to be on a list. after 7-1-18, you are still GTG but you can't use your own SN.

If that 80 is assault-y after 1-1-17, you have to register as AW and can ignore 857 because you'll be covered by 880. After AW reg, you will be "on a list", and exempt from AB857.

----------------------------------

Of course you can't build a bullet button 80 after 1-17 any more than a non-80. or any AW. you have ot have it in possession 1-1-17. period. Just.... undocumented is OK.

(insert joke about undocumented rifles, maybe a good joke about undocumented rifles having an anchor pistol)

-------------------------

Disclaimer: all this info comes from a phone call at the DOJ, and has all the legal weight of a verbal discussion from a guy who answers the phone at the CaDOJ. Accept this information at your own risk.
Old 12-14-2016, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

SO, if you are on the featureless bandwagon, you have till 7-1-2018 to get "on a list"

If you want an AW, you better have a BB rifle "in your possession" by whatever needed circumstances within the next 15 days. You'll have to register it as an AW before the end of 2017, and you'll be "on a list"

If you want to be "off list", too bad. Better hide it, bury it in the back yard, or live in rural CA where noone checks or cares. Or get 857 repealed at which point you can go featureless (or not semi auto) and be off list.

Even repealing 880, your 80% has to be on a list, or buried in the back yard (because of AB857).
Old 12-14-2016, 8:16 PM

On 12/7 I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLibertate View Post
I've submitted a similar registration as the OP on Sunday afternoon. ...

My registration attempt is a little more unusual in that it is for a 2011 single shot pistol home built from an 80%. [2011 is a double stack 1911 derivative]. I submitted photos of the assembled pistol showing the engraving, one with the break action open with the barrel against a tape measure [demonstrating SSE2 compliance], a copy of the original receipt showing I purchased an 80% along with a break action upper from an 07-FFL (Limited-10 Machining) who is selling the completed single shot pistol as well [no zip gun issues], and the manufacturer's info on the break action upper.
Today the postman brought me a letter from the DOJ telling me that this pistol is now registered!! That is less than two weeks to handle my application.

Oh Happy Days!

So here is proof that an 80% SSE2 VolReg does occasionally get approved.
Old 12-15-2016, 4:24 AM

If you're using CRIS, and you must select "U S" as the make, does that need to be engraved on the lower?