Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 5:06 PM

Default San Francisco school gun free zones

I heard that San Francisco has a gun free zone for 5-mile radius from any school, which effectively makes it impossible to concealed carry in SF.

But i tried to Google about it today, but could not find any information on it, other than a state-wide 1000ft radius gun free zone from schools. Anyone know where i can find this info?
Old 09-02-2019, 5:10 PM

I hope God takes good care of San Francisco. They deserve it.
Old 09-02-2019, 5:12 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Fake news. And people with CCW are exempt from the 1000 foot zone.

Old 09-02-2019, 5:40 PM

Might want to double check the facts because in california a lot of laws are illegal in all likely hood and especially in SF but until someone challenges it in court those laws stand no matter how much they might fly in the face of the Bill of rights or the constitution of this country.
Old 09-02-2019, 6:06 PM

Can't say if reported 'law' is real, but can attest to fact that it would effectively rule out weapons in city/county of San Francisco. SF is basically the pencil eraser on a pencil-shaped peninsula. It is approximately a 7x7 mile area.

Five miles? Would overlap every square foot of The City.

Sincerely,

Born in the USA
(specifically San Francisco, California)
Old 09-02-2019, 6:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What SF would really benefit from is a 5 mile radius **** Free School Zone.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 09-02-2019, 6:29 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by baekacaek View Post
I heard that San Francisco has a gun free zone for 5-mile radius from any school, which effectively makes it impossible to concealed carry in SF.

But i tried to Google about it today, but could not find any information on it, other than a state-wide 1000ft radius gun free zone from schools. Anyone know where i can find this info?
No, SF does not have a 5-mile school zone. The SFUSD used to have a map of their GFSZ, properly accounting for the shapes of their school properties, but that seems to have gone away.

The one here - https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/in...-school-zones/ - looks like a re-publishing of one I created years ago; it's 'wrong' since it is just circles centered on street addresses, but it's representative.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-02-2019, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Fake news. And people with CCW are exempt from the 1000 foot zone.
Pardon my ignorance. Laws keeps changing.

Is this true?

Thought gun had to be unloaded...gun and magazine locked in container within 1000 ft of school.
Old 09-02-2019, 7:00 PM

Default San Francisco school gun free zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet4lifeOC View Post

Is this true?

Thought gun had to be unloaded...gun and magazine locked in container within 1000 ft of school.

Truth. See penal code for exemption.

626.9 PC (Sub Section (c) 5)

(5) When the person holds a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 26150) of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6, who is carrying that firearm in an area that is not in, or on the grounds of, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, but within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of the public or private school.

Last edited by awiner; 09-02-2019 at 7:04 PM..
Old 09-02-2019, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Is this true?

Only on school grounds/property. LTC holder's still exempt from 1000' GFSZ.
Old 09-03-2019, 6:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
Truth. See penal code for exemption.

626.9 PC (Sub Section (c) 5)

(5) When the person holds a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 26150) of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6, who is carrying that firearm in an area that is not in, or on the grounds of, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, but within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of the public or private school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Only on school grounds/property. LTC holder's still exempt from 1000' GFSZ.
I pick up my son from high school.

I don't go onto school grounds, but park outside the school.

If you look at the attached picture...on the bottom left...you'll see a white line where there's a cutout for parents to park or drop off their students. cutout runs parallel to street and sidewalk and fits about 5 cars.

Screenshot_2019-09-03-07-30-12-1.jpg

So I park there to pick up my son. It's not on school grounds.

I guess I've been wrong this while time. I would in the past...unload...separate magazine from handgun...and locked them up in the same hard case.

Hated doing it for fear of bullet setback.

Also, it says grades 1 to 12, so private/public colleges aren't covered under the 1000 feet rule?

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-03-2019, 6:55 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Also, it says grades 1 to 12, so private/public colleges aren't covered under the 1000 feet rule?
1000' zone only applies to K-12 schools. [PC 626.9(e)(4) and 18 USC 921(a)(25)]

There is no zone for college/university.
However, while on college/university property, in order to legally possess firearm/ammunition, the person needs written permission from the college/university president/dean or their designated representative. [PC 626.9(h)&(i)]

18 USC 921
(a) As used in this chapter—
(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

Penal Code 626.9
(e) As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(4) “School zone” means an area in, or on the grounds of, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of the public or private school.
(h) Notwithstanding Section 25605, any person who brings or possesses a loaded firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or administration by, a public or private university or college, that are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it is with the written permission of the university or college president, his or her designee, or equivalent university or college authority, shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for two, three, or four years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a university or college shall post a prominent notice at primary entrances on noncontiguous property stating that firearms are prohibited on that property pursuant to this subdivision.
(i) Notwithstanding Section 25605, any person who brings or possesses a firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or administration by, a public or private university or college, that are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it is with the written permission of the university or college president, his or her designee, or equivalent university or college authority, shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 for one, two, or three years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a university or college shall post a prominent notice at primary entrances on noncontiguous property stating that firearms are prohibited on that property pursuant to this subdivision.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-03-2019, 7:47 AM

Dang, i guess it was just another FUD/fake news

Thanks for the info, all. Also didnt know CCW are exempt from the 1000ft rule
Old 09-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baekacaek View Post
Dang, i guess it was just another FUD/fake news

Thanks for the info all. Also didnt know CCW are exempt from the 1000ft rule
s

Dude...ridiculous laws get enacted so often that it's hard to remember them. Being senseless and illogical doesn't help either.
Old 09-04-2019, 7:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

SF did declare the NRA a domestic terrorist organization. Y'all better turn yourselves in before they find you.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
SF did declare the NRA a domestic terrorist organization. Y'all better turn yourselves in before they find you.

Ridiculous indeed

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/0...-organization/