Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 08-12-2019, 9:01 AM

Default El Dorado National Forest Dispersed Camping

Does anyone have a good spot they are willing to share? The campground we usually go to has been getting too crowded and I want to get away (or as a backup site). Requirements are easy access to water for swimming and no more than a 1/4 mile walk from the vehicle.

Looking around Icehouse, Union Valley, maybe up to Loon Lake. Have 4WD but no rock crawling.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Sierra County is great.Anywhere long the Yuba river should meet your needs.My favorite spot is Wild Plum campground outside of Sierra City.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 AM

We used to do a lot of camping at or by Stumpy Meadows. That area is unrecognizable to me now after the fire a few years ago. You can find some good camping spots right on the Rubicon river.
Old 08-12-2019, 1:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by spegull03 View Post
Does anyone have a good spot they are willing to share? The campground we usually go to has been getting too crowded and I want to get away (or as a backup site). Requirements are easy access to water for swimming and no more than a 1/4 mile walk from the vehicle.

Looking around Icehouse, Union Valley, maybe up to Loon Lake. Have 4WD but no rock crawling.
All of those are great location but they are decently popular as well. If you are up for a drive try Upper Blue Lake; although that too has had more traffic over the years. If they havn't gated Forestdale rd at the Y of camp I just drive upto the "Lost Lakes" right above the area and bivoc. Just be aware the PCT goes right through there so you will see backpackers take breaks or camp at the lake too. I've never had an issue.
Old 08-19-2019, 1:59 PM

As an update our normal spot was open (no reservation site) so we didn't end up needing a backup, but it's walk in and with two kids the loadout is getting to be a bit much. One other family was there the first night watching YouTube videos on full blast but they left the next day. I cant stand the sound of generators when camping.

Off 88 seems like a good location to scout, we are trying to stay within 1:30 of home (El Dorado Hills)