Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 03-08-2017, 1:05 PM

Default Shooting gloves at Appleseed classes?

Is it frowned upon or encouraged?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2017, 4:02 PM

Neither: Use them if you're more comfortable.

Once the timed scoring starts, you'll have relatively limited time between stages to refill magazines. I find handling teeny little .22LR cartridges to be more cumbersome and slower with gloves, but use whatever works for you.

My personal first choice of protective gear, after eyes and ears and a floppy hat, would be a pad for my support elbow.
Old 03-08-2017, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

For standing, I make a fist and split my index and middle finger with the delta ring as an index. Since the weight of the rifle is resting on my knuckles, I use a shooting mitt. This one my Creedmoor Sports, specifically:

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...hooting-Gloves

But I also wear a regular leather+canvas work glove underneath.

For sitting and prone, I use an open finger shooting glove: https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...hooting-Gloves

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 03-09-2017, 3:29 AM

One emphasized area of firing the shot is trigger finger placement, notably not having the trigger finger against the stock contracting and making contact with it (and moving the rifle ever so slightly) just at the moment of firing.

Wearing a glove that adds much bulk on your trigger hand is going to make it more difficult to diagnose this particular problem that people have that they don't know they are doing.

One of the things Appleseed teaches is pointing out several small flaws, classic mistakes that people make which they don't know they are doing, so that you can self-diagnose when you go to the range next.

In this light, I would recommend not wearing a glove on your trigger hand the first time, get in the habit of "not dragging wood" and then when you know that you address the trigger properly every time, add a glove to that hand if you feel it will improve your shooting.

You'll note that both of the gloves Mr. Ocab listed above are for the non-trigger hand used to support the rifle and isolate the forend from your heartbeat, allow snug sling tension across the back of your hand without pain on long strings of slow-fire prone among other things.

bsut's point about gloved hands fumbling at reloading mags, or even poor sensitivity when attempting to do mag changes on the clock, should not be overlooked either.

Last edited by hardlyworking; 03-09-2017 at 3:40 AM..
Old 03-09-2017, 4:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCastle View Post
Is it frowned upon or encouraged?

Thanks.
You can probably get away with it if it's cold out, but otherwise you'll look like a tool. Might as well wear a chest rig.

Old 03-09-2017, 6:09 AM

I usually use a shooting coat and glove.
Weather shooting a .22 or M1.

Makes for a much tighter position.

No chest rig though. Don't even own one. That would be silly.

pg
Old 03-09-2017, 6:11 PM

Some are not getting it. Im not talking about tactical-testical gloves like mechanix etc. Im talking about a off hand creedmore glove.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-09-2017, 6:24 PM
CGSSA Leader

If you want to bring a hardback coat and an oven mitt, and shoot off-hand High Power style, you can. No big deal.

It's not what we usually teach to, since we stress shooter and not equipment, and we teach field shooting rather than precision. Most of us don't hunt or hike with any unusual gear... but if that's what you want to do, go right ahead. It isn't necessary to shoot a Rifleman score.

For everyone else, I keep Mechanix gloves in my go bag but rarely use them on the range -- it's just in case barrels are getting too hot to hold... I also dislike knee and elbow pads. These interfere with getting a solid position. Your elbows will be sore by the end of the class, but your body will learn.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 03-13-2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
If you want to bring a hardback coat and an oven mitt, and shoot off-hand High Power style, you can. No big deal.

It's not what we usually teach to, since we stress shooter and not equipment, and we teach field shooting rather than precision. Most of us don't hunt or hike with any unusual gear... but if that's what you want to do, go right ahead. It isn't necessary to shoot a Rifleman score.

For everyone else, I keep Mechanix gloves in my go bag but rarely use them on the range -- it's just in case barrels are getting too hot to hold... I also dislike knee and elbow pads. These interfere with getting a solid position. Your elbows will be sore by the end of the class, but your body will learn.
Rocketman,

This is the reply I was looking for, thank you.

One more, do you still suggest 400 rounds of ammo for each class. If I shoot a two day appleseed will that be 400 rounds each day?

Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2017, 8:34 PM
CGSSA Leader

Typically more like 150 on a first day and 250 or so on the second day.

It all depends. If you get gridded with some hard chargers who want to grind AQTs for hours, could be higher.

For a full weekend I'd bring a brick of 500 to be on the safe side, but we usually average about 400.

FYI in seven years of instructing I think I've had five students in hardback / oven mitt regalia, two of whom were instructors. It happens and it's welcome, but it's unusual.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 PM

When I expose myself to training in a discipline outside my usual favorites, I learn more and frustrate myself less if I immerse myself in that new discipline.
  • Though I'm an experienced driver and instructor in sports car racing, when I tried autocross I found I had a lot to learn, starting with switching off certain skills that served me well on the racetrack but not in the cones.
  • When I moved from powered airplanes into sailplanes, I had to ditch certain sloppy habits, for the reward of greater performance based on efficiency.
  • I'm certified to teach people how to ride their bicycles safely in traffic, but both road racing and mountain biking required almost completely separate sets of bike handling skills.
  • The rifle marksmanship fundamentals I learned and teach at Appleseed are largely transferable to other disciplines, from NRA High Power to 3-Gun to whatever. And those skills are largely transferable too. But I do best in each when I focus on its distinctives.
Yes, you can bring your Creedmor exoskeleton jacket and glove and hat with eye cover and blinders and your Les Tam sling to Appleseed, and shoot for score the way you're accustomed. But you might find you learn more of what's offered, if you strip your equipment to the bare fundamentals, immerse yourself in the very methodical teaching sequence, and focus on why the differences are different.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 PM

Woah now. This tread just go a little to out of bounds. All I wanted to do was wear a creedmore glove when shooting supported sling, my sling attachment point is really close to where my hand goes and having metal hardware smashing into the top of my off hand for a long period of time is not fun. Thats all.

That being said some people are replying in a way that suggests shooting .22LR. I wanted to shoot .223. Is the shoot at Burro this sunday a .22 only shoot?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2017, 2:19 PM

Didn't read on the sight that this was a .22 only class so I registered. See you all at burro on sunday. What range do you use for shoots?

Thanks Mike.
Old 03-14-2017, 2:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Get a shooting coat!

Way more useful than shooting gloves.
Old 03-14-2017, 4:51 PM
CGSSA Leader

Burro Canyon is not a .22 LR only range. Feel free to bring your .223. Bring your .22 as well in case the .223 goes down.

I do sometimes run a Rimfire KD event there, but this Sunday's class isn't one of them. That one is .22 LR only because centerfire won't arc enough in 100 meters for you to learn anything special.

Old 03-14-2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
Burro Canyon is not a .22 LR only range. Feel free to bring your .223. Bring your .22 as well in case the .223 goes down.

I do sometimes run a Rimfire KD event there, but this Sunday's class isn't one of them. That one is .22 LR only because centerfire won't arc enough in 100 meters for you to learn anything special.
Rocket,

Perfect. Thank you. Asking about the KD event was my next question.
Old 05-24-2017, 6:26 PM

Some folks find the glove helps with the sling hardware digging into the back of the hand (the hardware can be moved to a certain extent) also to help keep some rifle designs from being uncomfortable. As polygunner stated, he wears a glove and a jacket. For cold weather shooting...I like the fingerless gloves for my trigger hand. (just sayin')