Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 06-17-2019, 7:16 AM

Default Appleseed Rainbow, June 15-16

I just wanted to share my experience from the recent Appleseed in Rainbow, CA in case it is useful to others thinking about attending an Appleseed event there. I had a great experience. The team running the event is very organized. They have a very good set up to make the range area and break area comfortable. The volunteer instructors are very passionate about marksmanship and the history of the revolution. The ratio of instructors to students was very good, we had 5 instructors to 17 students, lots of personal attention and support. There were also 2 volunteers helping with admin duties. The range itself is very nice and conveniently located to the 15 freeway.

I learned a lot about positional shooting and using the sling that I can integrate in my practice so that I can improve. I have a couple of recommendations based on observations from the weekend that I would give to folks who are considering going. First try to have your rifle as sorted out as you can. Your scope or sights set up and zeroed and your cheek weld and eye relief set up as well as you can. The instructors will help with all of this if you can't get it set up yourself, but it will make the weekend run smoother if you can. Second, maybe spend a couple extra dollars on ammo. I don't know if there were many ammo related malfunctions but I did see a few folks using the cheaper bulk ammo and that seems like a recipe for frustration to me. Maybe CCI mini mags or Standard Velocity, it won't break the bank but it may increase your confidence with less failures.

Thank you to all my fellow shooters, and especially to the awesome Appleseed volunteers for a great weekend.
Old 06-17-2019, 3:38 PM

Your observations and helpful hints are right on target! Glad you had a great time.

Hope you plan on heading back out with a few friends.
Old 06-17-2019, 3:49 PM

Good suggestion. I really like the team at Rainbow, and am planning on going again this year. I didn't know they just had an event this past weekend. In any case, thanks to the team for putting on such a great event for us SoCal folks.
Old 06-17-2019, 9:13 PM

https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?...ate=California

Here's the link for the schedule for the rest of the year.
Old 06-18-2019, 5:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I couldn't make the shoot this month, but as a member of the Rainbow Appleseed team, this kind of feedback is great to hear.

Definitely agree that getting your rifle dialed in ahead of time will save you some time and sometimes frustration.

Malfunctions can be the most difficult thing to deal with on the line for a shooter. Whether ammo-related, or rifle-related, a failure outside of yourself is extremely frustrating. Especially when your scores are getting higher. When you're on track to your first rifleman score, and your rifle jams, or have a misfire, it can drive you crazy. So anything that can be done to avoid these is vital. I have seen issues caused by cheap ammo, but more often by dirty rifles. Even right after the rifle was supposedly cleaned between days 1 and 2.

Anyway, glad you had a good time, we have 1 more event at Rainbow this year: Oct 19,20. There are currently 9 spots left, get your spot while you can.

https://goappleseednow.org/?event=ra...ber-19-20-2019
Old 07-15-2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post
I couldn't make the shoot this month, but as a member of the Rainbow Appleseed team, this kind of feedback is great to hear.

Definitely agree that getting your rifle dialed in ahead of time will save you some time and sometimes frustration.

Malfunctions can be the most difficult thing to deal with on the line for a shooter. Whether ammo-related, or rifle-related, a failure outside of yourself is extremely frustrating. Especially when your scores are getting higher. When you're on track to your first rifleman score, and your rifle jams, or have a misfire, it can drive you crazy. So anything that can be done to avoid these is vital. I have seen issues caused by cheap ammo, but more often by dirty rifles. Even right after the rifle was supposedly cleaned between days 1 and 2.

Anyway, glad you had a good time, we have 1 more event at Rainbow this year: Oct 19,20. There are currently 9 spots left, get your spot while you can.

https://goappleseednow.org/?event=ra...ber-19-20-2019
I just looked last night and down ti two spots.

Im debating on grabbing one of those spots, or doing the Vegas shoot.

One question though; my wife wants to come with me again, but doesn't want to shoot this time. Can she come and assist or just watch? Would she still need to pay the range fee?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 4:50 PM

Another tip I will add.

If shooting a 10/22, user a dry lube or very lightly oil your rifle.

I think I over oiled the rifle my wife was using. It jammed up on her and was full of grime.

She was shooting Aguila and normally I can shoot 300+ rounds of Aguila without seeing any accuracy changes or any issues with cycling

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk