Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-17-2021, 1:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Bad Ace Tactical no drill scope mount

I recently put a no drill Bad Ace Tactical scope mount on my 7.62mm #4 Lee-Enfield. It also got a repro cheek rest attached to a replacement butt from Century to keep the original unmolested. The whole set up works pretty darn well. I recommend the mount which is cheaper directly from the manufacturer in Canada than from Amazon who also sells it. When I bought it from Canada it was delivered by Amazon!

They give a military discount too.

https://www.badacetactical.com/colle...ll-scope-mount

Old 10-18-2021, 11:53 AM

Nice! That's an interesting scope mount. Steel base with aluminum rail. And I'm envious of that 7.62 action.

I was looking at the mount on the page below. One observation: It looks like you have some placement options for the pic/weaver rail? From how you have your scope mounted so far back in the rings, it seems like you could shift the rail a little farther forward and then center the rings a little better. And/or move the scope a little farther forward if that's your desire.

https://www.badacetactical.com/produ...ll-scope-mount

But of course if you like where your scope sits now, eye relief wise, then it doesn't matter. You might be better off with less of it cantilevered forward, since aluminum is going be more flexy than steel would be.

FWIW, I have on of the Fultons mounts on my #4. Made in England. One-piece steel machining. It's said to be the best of the NGS mounts since, it's certainly the stiffest. However, these are very expensive and I had to think about it for a long while before finally deciding to buy one. And like most aftermarket LE scope mounts, it's bye-bye rear sight. From what I see, you could still have at least the smaller rear flip sight with your mount. Nice to have a backup sight.

Not my mount below; just a pic I found of an older one. The newer ones like mine have a full set of cuts along the top.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:11 PM

Here's an interesting pic from that same page I linked. Do you think it's possible to run the mounting rail out that far forward and still have a stable mount? Is so, this is kinda cool for sure. It's a better position for a scope base anyway, for most scopes I think, and we can see that the rear ladder sight remains in place.

Old 10-18-2021, 3:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
Here's an interesting pic from that same page I linked. Do you think it's possible to run the mounting rail out that far forward and still have a stable mount? Is so, this is kinda cool for sure. It's a better position for a scope base anyway, for most scopes I think, and we can see that the rear ladder sight remains in place.

Unfortunately with the scope mounted you might not be able to remove the bolt unless the
scope is far enough forward to allow the sight to stand vertically.

The Fultons mount looks like a copy of the S&K mount that is on my Long Branch.

I took the rifle and a #4 Mk2 .303 to the range today. i had to re-sight the scoped #4, putting a different butt on the rifle changed the POI dramatically, it was shooting over a foot high at 100 yds. This target is the last 3 rounds of 7.62 for the day. The other patched holes are from the .303 shooting a variety of Yugo Mk 8 and Mk7 ball as well as my handloads. I had 3 rounds of FNM 82 7.62mm ball left so I put them into the .303 target. Not bad! This was 100 yds with a rest.

This is the .303, an unwrapped #4 Mk 2 PF Irish contract rifle. Supremely accurate with BT Mk8 rounds except I can no longer make the iron sights work for me.

Last edited by smle-man; 10-18-2021 at 6:29 PM..
Old 10-18-2021, 6:54 PM

Nice shooting. I'll bet it was fun. My #4 ('49 Faz) has a very nice bore and a Huber trigger. I mounted a Vortex Diamondback 2-8x 32mm HP scope on it but have yet to sight it in. Very nice glass though and not 'too much scope' for this rifle. I have a lot of handloads to try, using SMKs and Hornady HPBTs. I'm very curious to see how close together I can get them to land.

I also have a '42 Lithgow. Fun rifle to shoot. I fitted a new buttstock too it a few years ago because the original was kind banged up a maybe just a little too short for me. Tried a Huber trigger in it as well but couldn't get it adjusted to my liking. So I went back to the factory trigger, which actually isn't bad at all.

I've seen the S&K mounts and a few others. I even tried one kind for a while; forget which mfr. Didn't like them though. Too short and a little taller than I want. I don't want the scope sitting way back over the stock.

This Fulton mount seemed like a near perfect solution for me, being a little lower and definitely with more reach out front than anything I'd seen before. And it being all steel, when that wedge on the bottom is drawn up into the space under the charger bridge to lock it down, man, the mount and receiver may as well be welded into one piece of steel. I don't have any interference issues between the scope and bolt handle. Not the scopes I tried so far.

https://www.fultonsofbisley.com/fire...eld-rifles-sr2

The S&K is a similar design though, that looks to be the case. I can't say which came first. Fultons of Bisley has been in the guns business for over 100 years, but I don't know when they started making these mounts for the Lee-Enfields. Below you can see them side by side, so to speak. Can't say if the S&K is a current model. the Fulton has the Weaver cuts. They've since gone to Picatinny style cuts. It's nice.

Old 10-18-2021, 8:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

very pleasant backyard you have there in the tarheel state...
Old 10-19-2021, 4:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post
very pleasant backyard you have there in the tarheel state...
Thanks! It's a bit of work to maintain but it is worth it. 1.5 acres that backs up to a sizable pond with geese, turtles, and catfish.
Old 10-19-2021, 8:05 AM

I like the other rifles too. Very nice collection.