Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:29 AM

Default AK Bakelite/Polymer Mag Dimples ???

Good day everyone,

I hope I've posted this thread in an ok forum. I wasn't sure where this question should go. On nearly all military issued Bakelite and Polymer AK mags (for both 47 and 74 variants), I always see these dimples molded into the front edges of the magazine. They're never on surplus steel or the rare aluminum mags. And I have rarely if ever seen them on commercially produced mags.

My only thought is that they are some form of mounting point for a mag coupler. Anyone here able to confirm for me what these are for?

I've attached a pic for clarification if anyone doesn't know what I'm referring to.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mag Dimples.jpg (20.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by RobbRus; 10-13-2021 at 7:12 AM..
Old 10-14-2021, 9:22 AM

Anyone?
Old 10-15-2021, 9:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's due to the molding process. The Indents hold the front metal strap which is imbedded into the magazine during the molding process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:19 AM

Thank you very much. It's something I've always wondered about and this makes some sense. However, it doesn't explain why the other metal inserts don't have the little divets near where they are placed before being molded around them.

Have a good one
Old 10-17-2021, 11:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The metal mags don't have the reinforcing rib. The mag body is strong enough to handle the camming action when a mag is seated or removed.

On the polymer mags the rear catch doesn't have any camming action on it, so it doesn't need reinforcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.