Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-22-2021, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default Software Defined Radio

I’ve had a SDR dongle for a while now.. the idea seemed cool and it was cheap. I played with my Dongle for a while and then put it away.. anyways, I got the bug again and pulled out the ol Dongle this weekend..

I figured out how to get the ADS-B plane data and got the program to track planes in the area.. it’s cool, but you can only stare at random planes for so long..

Anyways, what are some other cool things (for a beginner) that can be done with that SDR? I also use it to listen to HAMs and local PD/Fire..

I want to get the hackRF but figured before I shell out $300, I’d use the cheaper ones and really figure them out.
Old 08-22-2021, 3:36 PM

This looks interesting.
Old 09-16-2021, 8:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ping cell phones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgseanp1 View Post
I’ve had a SDR dongle for a while now.. the idea seemed cool and it was cheap. I played with my Dongle for a while and then put it away.. anyways, I got the bug again and pulled out the ol Dongle this weekend..

I figured out how to get the ADS-B plane data and got the program to track planes in the area.. it’s cool, but you can only stare at random planes for so long..

Anyways, what are some other cool things (for a beginner) that can be done with that SDR? I also use it to listen to HAMs and local PD/Fire..

I want to get the hackRF but figured before I shell out $300, I’d use the cheaper ones and really figure them out.

I have a sangean WiFi internet radio which streams global stations including police for major US cities. Its also my Radio Clock.

Hear crazy stuff on PD band.
Old 09-19-2021, 7:37 AM

I used Arduino Uno and a Hamshield to make a set of gate alarms for a farm. The farm is so far off-grid and so huge that there was really no other way but radio to make it work. Added an inline amplifier to make it powerful enough as the Hamshield only does about .5w. When the gate is opened by someone/something that shouldn't be opening it, a connection is made and the Hamshield boots up in about 2 seconds and sends a verbal alert telling us which gate has been opened.
Old 09-27-2021, 2:04 PM

You could play with TPMS sensors and other signals.

Check out the RTL-433 project on GitHub. I used it as the basis to make a car tracking technology that can used fixed/mobile 'checkpoints' as a proof of concept several years ago.