Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-22-2021, 7:43 AM

"Well, I'll just go in and see if they have one...just to check it out" I told myself as I drove past the gun store. I had been reading about the Sig Sauer P365 with Romeozero optic recently but I read about lots of new and interesting things so it wasn't exactly an object of pursuit for me.

The Glock 43 is my every day carry piece. It's easy to conceal even with a just a T-shirt and therefore, easy to not leave behind as I head out the door but I digress. So there behind the glass at the gun shop sat the very gun I was curious about. The guy at the counter was friendly and handed it across the counter.

Dang, what was there not to like? The grip felt natural in my hand, like it belonged there. It's the same size as the Glock 43 I'm used to. The red dot optic was easy for my aging eyes to acquire a target and 12+1 rounds was 6 extra rounds without a re-load compared to my Glock.

It didn't help that I had a pocket full of cash. What would you do? Well, I'll just say I don't regret that it came home with me. The red dot optic is a game changer for me and my first time shooting it did not disappoint.

I'll still carry the Glock when doing outside chores around the property (mountain lions) but for trips into town, the Sig P365XL it is.
Old 08-22-2021, 8:18 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I just got my Shield Arms S15 magazines and metal release for my G48... Still some testing to do here, but 100 rounds so far (115 WWB fmj) through it and absolute perfection. Before I call it as my new EDC I want to see a couple hundred rounds of 124 HST go through it, but honestly with these mags this is a game changer.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-22-2021, 8:26 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Back on topic.

People are mentioning many off roster guns as their favorite carry piece.

What are favorite ON ROSTER guns for carry?
You can buy an off roster gun in CA, I bought many. So you have to pony up $1,000 for a G48 there or something, BFD. In the overall scheme of things, your life and the lives of your loved ones, an extra few hundred bucks shouldn't make one iota difference if you cannot find a good EDC on the roster. Just my opinion of course.

FWIW, here in Tennessee 90% of the time I have carried a G19 Gen 3 I got in CA back in 2008. It's got nothing to do with rosters or money, it has everything to do with carrying the gun you can do so confidently and competently.

Old 08-22-2021, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I just got my Shield Arms S15 magazines and metal release for my G48... Still some testing to do here, but 100 rounds so far (115 WWB fmj) through it and absolute perfection. Before I call it as my new EDC I want to see a couple hundred rounds of 124 HST go through it, but honestly with these mags this is a game changer.
Yeah, the G48 conceals nicely even under just a t-shirt, gives a full grip, and a 4" barrel, shoots nice and soft,, and the Sheild Arms magazines give 15 + 1 rounds, in a package thinner than a Glock 19, what's not to love.

They also make a red dot capable version if that's your thing.
Old 08-22-2021, 9:37 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
Yeah, the G48 conceals nicely even under just a t-shirt, gives a full grip, and a 4" barrel, shoots nice and soft,, and the Sheild Arms magazines give 15 + 1 rounds, in a package thinner than a Glock 19, what's not to love.

They also make a red dot capable version if that's your thing.
I was going to get the MOS, but honestly Robert I am a simplicity kinda guy when it comes to this kind of thing and I think a nice set of Tru-Glo sights and I'll call it good.

Carrie fell in love with this last night when I showed her, I'm going to let her shoot it when she gets home from work this evening and if she shoots it well I'll get another one and maybe I'll get the MOS on that one just for the sake of having it even if I don't put an optic on it.

I didn't think the G48 shot quite is nice as the G19, but after a couple magazines I was on point with it. I need to find some 124g HST for it... I have a ton of practice ammo but I only have one box of 9mm SD ammo I can find and I don't really want to blow through it until I can find some replacement. Being a Glock I don't anticipate any issues, but with aftermarket mags and hollowpoints coupled with my CCW gun I want to feel 100% confident in the combo.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I was going to get the MOS, but honestly Robert I am a simplicity kinda guy when it comes to this kind of thing and I think a nice set of Tru-Glo sights and I'll call it good.

Carrie fell in love with this last night when I showed her, I'm going to let her shoot it when she gets home from work this evening and if she shoots it well I'll get another one and maybe I'll get the MOS on that one just for the sake of having it even if I don't put an optic on it.

I didn't think the G48 shot quite is nice as the G19, but after a couple magazines I was on point with it. I need to find some 124g HST for it... I have a ton of practice ammo but I only have one box of 9mm SD ammo I can find and I don't really want to blow through it until I can find some replacement. Being a Glock I don't anticipate any issues, but with aftermarket mags and hollowpoints coupled with my CCW gun I want to feel 100% confident in the combo.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat, I've shot slide mounted red dots on competition guns and don't see a huge advantage, especially if you're not practicing a lot,, and the disadvantage of having to rely on back up sights after you've stopped practicing with them when the dot dies for whatever reason is reason enough FOR ME to stick with good old reliable iron sights.

The rest of you all, don't bother telling me why dots are better for you, I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything. If you like dots, use them. If not, don't, makes exactly no difference to me.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:11 AM

I like to carry my g43 i like the slimness and the compact of it.Sure it aint for everyone but its what I prefer.Second choice was gonna be a shield but nothing was in stock over the winter when i bought so i picked up the 43 for 500 bucks.

Was considering the 48 as well it was a third pick but hard to find in stores here at time too now they are available.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:24 AM

My wife likes her Taurus G3c 9mm. Smaller grip in diameter than a Glock but fits in her hand. She wanted a thumb safety.

She hasn’t carried outside of the home yet or carried loaded. She’s still practicing her draw for finger placement and as the muzzle comes to horizontal, thumb safety drops to ready. The the reverse as lowered and holstered

She wants it to be fluid in muscle memory. I’ve told her carry once comfortable and confident.

I carry a 17 or 21. Have both OWB and IWB holsters. I’m a bigger guy so printing isn’t an issue with a 2x shirt if I opt to conceal

99% of the time I OC
Old 08-22-2021, 10:34 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
The rest of you all, don't bother telling me why dots are better for you, I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything. If you like dots, use them. If not, don't, makes exactly no difference to me.
We lose track of that on Calguns quite often, and I am probably guilty of this somewhere along the line. I see it happening in this thread, people get butt hurt because they disagree. Paul Harrell always states that in his videos, or at least he did (I haven't watched in a while)... this is not about YOU, this is what works for ME. I think people struggle with the concept for whatever reason. Even the title of the thread "The perfect carry gun?" I'm not sure if people missed the "?" in the title. It's a question, not a statement. The way I see it is something like this: "This might be the perfect carry gun I have found for me to date, and here are the reasons why... how about you?"

I can carry what I want here, and open carry is legal pretty much everywhere so if other people were not a consideration then my answer would probably be my G20 carried on a drop leg holster or maybe my HK45 Tactical. In any event if gunfire is eminent then a compact 9mm stuffed in my pants wouldn't be my first choice right? I'm wearing a vest with several mags, a combat knife, and a set of handcuffs if we're heading into urban battle.

"The perfect carry gun in society, like when we want to be a little more discreet" Well at this point for me it is the G19, but it may soon be a G48 based on the availability of 15 round magazines in a slimmer profile. That doesn't mean I think your 365, Shield, Hellcat, or .22 Lifecard sucks, it's just not the perfect gun for me at this point.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Was an early adopter for the G48 and S15 mag combo. Great combo. That said faster on shot timer for a G19 so went back to G19 carry. A few days a year I will carry a P365XL
Old 08-22-2021, 10:48 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
99% of the time I OC
Do you OC visible B.J.F.? Or with a cover garment, so kind of like CCW/OWB/OC? In the cooler months here I'll OC with my t-shirt tucked in, but wearing like a Carharrt shirt-jac. So my weapon isn't really hidden, but not fully exposed either.

Out on the road on the bike I'll wear the drop-leg totally open in most states, easy draw from the bike... and I am pretty much just stopping for gas or grabbing a bite to eat and not mingling with the public too much. Besides it gets some great looks and thumbs-up from travelers so it's fun it that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by static2126 View Post
Was an early adopter for the G48 and S15 mag combo. Great combo. That said faster on shot timer for a G19 so went back to G19 carry. A few days a year I will carry a P365XL
That's downright interesting. Where was the time lost on the G48? Do you mean like total time going through a mag, or time in getting the first aimed shot?

Old 08-22-2021, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We lose track of that on Calguns quite often, and I am probably guilty of this somewhere along the line. I see it happening in this thread, people get butt hurt because they disagree. Paul Harrell always states that in his videos, or at least he did (I haven't watched in a while)... this is not about YOU, this is what works for ME. I think people struggle with the concept for whatever reason. Even the title of the thread "The perfect carry gun?" I'm not sure if people missed the "?" in the title. It's a question, not a statement. The way I see it is something like this: "This might be the perfect carry gun I have found for me to date, and here are the reasons why... how about you?"
Yeah, there's a lot of confirmation bias to some people's inquiries. My take is; I can't tell you what the perfect carry gun for you is. I can't tell you which gun is going to feel best in your hand. I can't tell you which gun you're going to shoot best. I can't tell you any of these things, because so much of it is personal preference. What I can tell you is what works for me, and why. What you do with this info is completely up to you. I make no claims of being an expert, and my feelings aren't hurt (too much...) if my advice/feedback is ignored.

Quote:
I can carry what I want here, and open carry is legal pretty much everywhere so if other people were not a consideration then my answer would probably be my G20 carried on a drop leg holster or maybe my HK45 Tactical. In any event if gunfire is eminent then a compact 9mm stuffed in my pants wouldn't be my first choice right? I'm wearing a vest with several mags, a combat knife, and a set of handcuffs if we're heading into urban battle.
Yeah, here in AZ, the only restrictions on carrying as long as you're legally able to possess the gun are schools, government buildings, and private businesses that post the proper signage and comply with the legal requirements set forth in the law for restricting gun carrying people in their business. And quite frankly, if I'm carrying concealed correctly, nobody's going to know. I don't see the need for more than one carry gun, though I have a few others that can be pressed into carry duty if necessary, particularly a Ruger SR9 and a Colt Cobra (the new ones, not one of the originals), and a Sig P230, though it's bigger than the Glock 48, and holds half as many rounds, in a lesser caliber (.380 ACP), so the odds of it being carried are pretty slim.

Quote:
"The perfect carry gun in society, like when we want to be a little more discreet" Well at this point for me it is the G19, but it may soon be a G48 based on the availability of 15 round magazines in a slimmer profile. That doesn't mean I think your 365, Shield, Hellcat, or .22 Lifecard sucks, it's just not the perfect gun for me at this point.
Yup.
Old 08-22-2021, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiddi View Post

For me it's the Sig p365 and the Glock 43.

Conceals nicely on me and shoots pretty good for sub compacts.
While I happily have carried a G43 for years, I am well ready to replace it with a P365.

The g48 is a fine pistol, but a g43 or P365 are better carry choices for me...

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/...sig-sauer-p365

A Hellcat would also make a fine second choice...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 08-22-2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Do you OC visible B.J.F.? Or with a cover garment, so kind of like CCW/OWB/OC? In the cooler months here I'll OC with my t-shirt tucked in, but wearing like a Carharrt shirt-jac. So my weapon isn't really hidden, but not fully exposed either.

Out on the road on the bike I'll wear the drop-leg totally open in most states, easy draw from the bike... and I am pretty much just stopping for gas or grabbing a bite to eat and not mingling with the public too much. Besides it gets some great looks and thumbs-up from travelers so it's fun it that regard.

That's downright interesting. Where was the time lost on the G48? Do you mean like total time going through a mag, or time in getting the first aimed shot?

Yes I do OC completely visible for everyone to see. CCW at certain times in a IWB holster.

Iíve had people take pictures with me. In Tombstone, Iíve had motherís gather up their children and walk to the other side of the street. In most cases itís a positive experience for someone vs negative

My OC rig is a level 2 retention, IWB has a thumb break strap
Old 08-31-2021, 6:47 AM

For me, carry means concealed, so I prefer that they be small.

Hellcat and P238 are what I rotate between.
Old 08-31-2021, 8:05 PM

My perfect carry is a G27 (40 S&W) it also has a 9MM barrel and magazines. I just installed night sights this past weekend. I'm good with the no safety, caliber switch-over, and nothing fancy design. No safety either. That token safety trigger thing is not a safety (nor do I need a mechanical one). Perfect in my book. With good fit and no brainer pull the trigger kind of self protection.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:01 PM

I've had a CCW in CA since 2004 or so.

I've carried a G26, G19, G17, G30, HK45C, Colt Commander, Colt Officer's model, Springfield Professional, P2000SK, S&W 642, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, I can't even remember what else.

I've carried a basic HK USP9C every day for over a year now. It's the sweet spot for me. Either in a VM2, or a JM Custom Kydex OWB.

While the PPS is a fantastic single stack 9mm, the best I've tried, the USP is what I've settled on. Mine is an LE model with factory night sights.

I carry OWB, IWB, in a fanny pack while running, in a backpack, etc. etc. and this is the pistol that I like for 100% of those carry methods.