Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-27-2021, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Nice old sporterized Krag -

looks like it's wearing an old scope and mount.
Can't tell from the pics if it's in .30-06, .30-40 or one of the foreign calibers.

Safety catch may be twisted or jammed, bolt could have been reassembled incorrectly and become wedged/stuck in the closed position.
Seen a Mauser G98 that took some gentle work to tease it open.

Obviously there's way to make sure there is not a cartridge in the breech, just saying, lol.

Only advice would be not to use force until all other avenues of reason have been explored, firearms are strange things, they can withstand enormous force from one angle and be permanently damaged by small energy in another.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2021, 8:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Krag rifle it's safety flag is up turn the safety to the left, and that should unlock the bolt handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 07-27-2021, 8:53 AM

Good stuff- thanks. I'd just found it by searching the partial designation and here you guys beat me to it. Worth anything?
Old 07-27-2021, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

It would be worth a lot more if it hadn't been drilled and tapped. I might also add that it is a 1898 Krag but has a cut down 1896 rifle stock that has had a pistol grip inletted. Most likely with an 1898 marked receiver it is a cut down rifle and worth maybe $300-$350 tops. If it was one of the very rare 1898 Krag carbines and still in original condition it would be worth upwards of $3500.

All Dumocraps suck balls.

Last edited by highpower; 07-27-2021 at 9:28 AM..
Old 07-27-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
It would be worth a lot more if it hadn't been drilled and tapped. I might also add that it is a 1898 Krag but has a cut down 1896 rifle stock that has had a pistol grip inletted. Most likely with an 1898 marked receiver it is a cut down rifle and worth maybe $300-$350 tops. If it was one of the very rare 1898 Krag carbines and still in original condition it would be worth upwards of $3500.
Just a ray of sunshine you are.... Seriously- thanks. My brother got it and I'm seeing what I can find out and cleaning it up for him.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
Nice old sporterized Krag -

looks like it's wearing an old scope and mount.
Can't tell from the pics if it's in .30-06, .30-40 or one of the foreign calibers.

Safety catch may be twisted or jammed, bolt could have been reassembled incorrectly and become wedged/stuck in the closed position.
Seen a Mauser G98 that took some gentle work to tease it open.

Obviously there's way to make sure there is not a cartridge in the breech, just saying, lol.

Only advice would be not to use force until all other avenues of reason have been explored, firearms are strange things, they can withstand enormous force from one angle and be permanently damaged by small energy in another.

Good luck.
Thank you- I moved the safety flag you mentioned and was able to open the breech.
Old 07-27-2021, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Thank you- I moved the safety flag you mentioned and was able to open the breech.
Yes, I presumed that you had tried the safety, and it was still locked up.

Safety catches are usually quite obvious, it is true. However on 100 year old firearms, what seemed obvious then, is less so now.

I have a push button safety (FBP) on the cocking handle on one of my MP40's - and it gets em every time - we've had experts from Taran tactical on set thinking it was broken, stunt guys and gun guys alike all stumped.
And the MP40 was made for the "regular" army, not even crack troops, lol!

So, don't feel bad.
Old 07-28-2021, 7:01 PM

The scope Mount resembles the “Stith” mount on my Savage 99 that has a Lyman Alaskan scope in it. The scope Mount on the Krag might be important. Krag are great rifles.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:48 AM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

If the bore is good, that is a great find. And that scope and mount might be worth as much as the rifle itself. Is the scope marked for maker? Is it optically clear?

Ask about that on the "optics" forum at www.24hourcampfire.com. Lots of expertise there. There is also a book specifically on US scopes, sights and mounts, with suggested values. Can't remember the title, but somebody here will.

A good Krag is a great rifle. LOTS of misinformation on the i-net about them; for example you will hear that they have a weak action compared to Mauser-type rifles. They don't--it's been proven by blow-up tests in labs. Their big locking lug plus their safety lug is as strong as most of the contemporary rifles, meaning bolt rifles up to the end of WWII, with the possible exception of the Arisakas and the Pattern 14 and US 1917 "Enfields."

The .30-40 ctg. has been criticized also--"too weak, too hard to feed in automatic weapons." Actually it approximates the ballistics of the 7.62x51mm NATO/.308 WCF when similar bullets are loaded. Too weak for ya?

And it fed very well in the few Browning US and Maxim machine guns that made and were tested for it--it's failures in the M1909 Benet/Mercie "Machine Rifle" were mostly due to untrained troops, not to the gun nor cartridge. (You can't put the feed strip in upside down or backwards in a Hochkiss-type MG and expect it to kill a bunch of Villistas).

The "rimmed ctg. in machine guns failure" is a lot of hooey. Wait, didn't the Spitfire's EIGHT Browning .303s work perfectly well when the bird was inverted, twisting and turning and pullin' many Gs? Ask the Luftwaffe. And ask the Wehrmacht if the rimmed .303 worked reliably in the Bren, a gun originally designed for rimless 8x57s.

I think the demise of the Krag and the .30-40 was mainly due to the faster loading time of the Mauser-type actions with stripper clips....and some of the earliest smokeless powders tended to eat the chamber leades and rifling of contemporary steel. We fixed that but not in time to save the Krag from a bad reputation.

That's my story/rant and I'm stickin' to it.

Enjoy your Krag!

Last edited by Mike A; 07-30-2021 at 10:53 AM..