Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Default Decently Priced FFL Around Roseville

Hi, I'm looking for a decently priced FFL that does transfers around the Roseville area. Even a countertop would do(I actually prefer countertop FFLs). I don't mind driving up to 30 mins I just don't want to pay some ridiculous $75+ fee. I'd like to find somebody that I can go to all the time who doesn't get offended at doing online transfers. I need something pretty quick.
Old 12-04-2018, 2:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasjd23 View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a decently priced FFL that does transfers around the Roseville area. Even a countertop would do(I actually prefer countertop FFLs). I don't mind driving up to 30 mins I just don't want to pay some ridiculous $75+ fee. I'd like to find somebody that I can go to all the time who doesn't get offended at doing online transfers. I need something pretty quick.
Nice. Glad to see you support FFL's in California. Do you have any idea what it takes to stay open in this state?
Old 12-05-2018, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Nice. Glad to see you support FFL's in California. Do you have any idea what it takes to stay open in this state?
Yep. I'll support the ones like my old one from before I moved (under $30 for as many as he could fit on a single form) who don't gouge "because California."

Anyways, I found a non-inflated one in the area through Brownells.
Old 12-06-2018, 3:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
People are often cheap and they don't value service, nor what all it takes to deal with it. that is why no service places are the norm today, like Walmart. When all the FFLs decide that they have had enough and move out of CA or choose to not be in business any more, then it will be interesting to see what the reaction is, as well as the cost.

Quote:
Yep. I'll support the ones like my old one from before I moved (under $30 for as many as he could fit on a single form) who don't gouge "because California."
Quite clearly that FFL didn't value his time and effort. It takes more time and effort for each firearm. It isn't gouging when you consider the time and effort, as well as all the expense to be a FFL in CA.

Quote:
Anyways, I found a non-inflated one in the area through Brownells.
Nice. Non-inflated? It is that type of attitude which is annoying in a customer. Perhaps FFL should demand $15/hour. I have wondered how people would react to having to pay by the hour, then they might get a surprise when they get billed for ALL the time, but there is also the overhead of dealing with things like sales tax, inspections, etc.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-06-2018, 5:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
People are often cheap and they don't value service, nor what all it takes to deal with it. that is why no service places are the norm today, like Walmart. When all the FFLs decide that they have had enough and move out of CA or choose to not be in business any more, then it will be interesting to see what the reaction is, as well as the cost.

Or when California decides that you need to have an actual store front in order to sell firearms in this state. There was a bill that would have made it impossible for table tops to exist but didn't pass. With Newsom coming in all bets are off on whats possible. I find it hard to believe that people don't actually take into account the actual cost of owning a store front business in this state with employees.
Old 12-06-2018, 5:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Or when California decides that you need to have an actual store front in order to sell firearms in this state. There was a bill that would have made it impossible for table tops to exist but didn't pass. With Newsom coming in all bets are off on whats possible. I find it hard to believe that people don't actually take into account the actual cost of owning a store front business in this state with employees.
They don't care because they don't see it. Even home based, which time is limited, the costs to operate as a FFL is expensive with all the required permits and licenses, which are not free, and the most expensive is insurance. It takes a lot of transfers before hitting the break even point. The expenses are worse with a B/M with rent and everything else.

In a short period of time there could be far fewer FFLs and those that remain might just up the fees due to the new hassles.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-06-2018, 8:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
They don't care because they don't see it. Even home based, which time is limited, the costs to operate as a FFL is expensive with all the required permits and licenses, which are not free, and the most expensive is insurance. It takes a lot of transfers before hitting the break even point. The expenses are worse with a B/M with rent and everything else.

In a short period of time there could be far fewer FFLs and those that remain might just up the fees due to the new hassles.
Yep! And for those reading and doubting Kemasa, this isnít a scare tactic. Newsom will be bearing down on everything to make all our lives miserable and expensive in the gun world!
Old 12-06-2018, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

Shooters Pro Shop 106 N Sunrise cross street of Douglas. Right next door to Squeeze Inn Burgers
Old 12-07-2018, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Not that you're probably still on this thread but I curious as to what you consider as "decently priced"?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. Rbt. Heinlein
Old 12-07-2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke8319 View Post
Not that you're probably still on this thread but I curious as to what you consider as "decently priced"?
Still here. Just not replying to everyone else because I didn't post to argue about the business aspects of running an FFL. Around $30 or under before DROS and tax. I found a couple that were well within that range.
Old 12-07-2018, 1:45 PM

The gun range on WATT in north highlands, I canít quote a price because itís been a while but I believe itís about what you stated.
Old 12-07-2018, 1:46 PM

https://thegunrange.biz
Old 12-08-2018, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Still here. Just not replying to everyone else because I didn't post to argue about the business aspects of running an FFL. Around $30 or under before DROS and tax. I found a couple that were well within that range.
You might want to consider the cost of gas and your time to travel round trip to some out-of-the-way place that might offer what you consider "reasonable" DROS fee's.
It all adds up...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. Rbt. Heinlein
Old 12-08-2018, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You might want to consider the cost of gas and your time to travel round trip to some out-of-the-way place that might offer what you consider "reasonable" DROS fee's.
It all adds up...
People don't tend to add up all the costs. They will spend $10 in gas to save $1. If the cost of the transfer if the most important thing, then traveling will make him happy to get a lower fee, even if it really doesn't save any money, plus trying to convince people doesn't tend to work.

Old 12-08-2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
People don't tend to add up all the costs. They will spend $10 in gas to save $1. If the cost of the transfer if the most important thing, then traveling will make him happy to get a lower fee, even if it really doesn't save any money, plus trying to convince people doesn't tend to work.
Simple logic at its best
Old 12-08-2018, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Simple logic at its best
Yep, but often people don't do the math. People will spend a lot to buy a new vehicle which gets better fuel economy, but not do the math to see if it makes sense. If they pay $20k extra, that is a lot of gas that could have been paid for, then there is the higher insurance to factor in as well. The closer the fuel economy gets, the longer it takes to pay for it.

If you get 20 mpg and gas costs $3/gal (yeah, I know, but it is an easier number to use), it costs $0.15/mile in gas. At 60 mpg, it costs $0.05/mile in gas, so you save $0.10/mile. To break even just looking at gas, if the increased cost is $20k, that is 200k miles. The 60 mpg is a bit high and the $20k is likely low, but you get the idea. So does it make sense to spend more for a more fuel efficient vehicle?

Old 12-08-2018, 6:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I’ve seen people in one of our stores come in and price shop and literally come back 3 hours later to buy a gun after they shopped 3 other stores to save $20. The time and gas and effort is mind boggling.

Last edited by taperxz; 12-09-2018 at 8:16 AM..