Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 03-18-2021, 9:27 PM

Default Knife laws in California is so confusing

So I live in the Bay Area and wanted to carry an edc folding knife, but it seems like from city to city the law is different.

For example, Fremont you can not have a blade longer than 2in, but in Oakland it is no longer than 3in. Best yet, Pleasanton there are no law beside the state law.

Is that my understanding?
Old 03-18-2021, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Also concealed is another issue to take into account, non folding has to be open carry.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:22 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Not really a LEO question, so moved.

See the sticky, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=815906

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-19-2021, 4:54 AM

Thanks reading thru it.
Old 03-19-2021, 5:15 AM

Confusing by design.

Sounds like a great opportunity for an APP.
Old 03-19-2021, 7:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Confusing by design.

Sounds like a great opportunity for an APP.
In litigious California, strikes me as a bad idea.

Liability for incomplete or out of date info, even with disclaimers and sign-up/install agreements, seems too much risk.
Old 03-19-2021, 7:41 AM

I had no idea that local government has the power to regulate what size knife I carry. Typically I’m rolling with a 4 inch folder which is perfectly legal by California law had no idea about local BS

Dictated but not read, voice typing plus bad eyes equals typos

Voice typing will butcher whatever I was trying to say
Old 03-19-2021, 5:54 PM

Here's the kicker. Say you decided to get carry insurance (ie uscca) and you decided to defend yourself with your edc knife, your carry insurance will only cover you if it was a "legal" weapon for self defense. What's considered legal? ������.
Old 03-19-2021, 6:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBie123 View Post
Here's the kicker. Say you decided to get carry insurance (ie uscca) and you decided to defend yourself with your edc knife, your carry insurance will only cover you if it was a "legal" weapon for self defense. What's considered legal? ������.
As you've discovered, that can depend on whose jurisdiction you might be in.
Old 03-19-2021, 7:32 PM

Last year I tried to read and understand the California knife laws but quickly gave up. My EDC is a flip assisted Benchmade Vector 495 with a 3.6" blade. I live in LA County and am not sure what would happen if I was ever stopped by an LEO.
Old 03-19-2021, 8:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
Last year I tried to read and understand the California knife laws but quickly gave up. My EDC is a flip assisted Benchmade Vector 495 with a 3.6" blade. I live in LA County and am not sure what would happen if I was ever stopped by an LEO.
Likely nothing much - see the city and county code in the sticky at post 7, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...54&postcount=7

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 03-19-2021, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Likely nothing much - see the city and county code in the sticky at post 7, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...54&postcount=7
My flip assisted knife does not use a spring mechanism or other mechanical device so I should be okay there. I have been carrying it clipped inside my jeans pocket so nothing is visible except the metal clip.
Old 03-22-2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBie123 View Post

For example, Fremont you can not have a blade longer than 2in, but in Oakland it is no longer than 3in. Best yet, Pleasanton there are no law beside the state law.

Is that my understanding?
Interesting. I researched a few months ago and thought SF and Alameda counties were 3". If Fremont is really 2", you may as well have an automatic.
Anyone have a list for various cities if they can/do differ from their counties?
Old 03-22-2021, 8:49 PM

^ Both Fremont and Pleasanton are in Alameda County, which I believe is 3".
Can a city within a county have it own laws (Fremont: sorry 2" allegedly or Pleasanton: nah you can carry what you want allegedly)?
Old 03-22-2021, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
^ Both Fremont and Pleasanton are in Alameda County, which I believe is 3".
Can a city within a county have it own laws (Fremont: sorry 2" allegedly or Pleasanton: nah you can carry what you want allegedly)?
Yes; any jurisdictions below 'state' may create their own rules - no state pre-emption.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 03-23-2021, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Yes; any jurisdictions below 'state' may create their own rules - no state pre-emption.
So should the general "assumption" be the smaller the jurisdiction (size or population wise), the more important the knife laws?

City/town in Alameda County > Alameda County > CA state ?
Old 03-23-2021, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Just one more reason for me to give the whole Bay Area a wide berth...

Screw them and their ridiculous restrictions...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 03-23-2021, 7:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
So should the general "assumption" be the smaller the jurisdiction (size or population wise), the more important the knife laws?

City/town in Alameda County > Alameda County > CA state ?
I dunno.

So far as I am aware, absent a proximal crime, knife laws are not enforced much. I do think seeing a knife may be thought to establish a reason for a stop-and-talk.
Old 03-23-2021, 8:01 PM

Quote:
I dunno.

So far as I am aware, absent a proximal crime, knife laws are not enforced much. I do think seeing a knife may be thought to establish a reason for a stop-and-talk.
Yes, definitely a good point about knife laws and proximal crime.

The issues do seem a bit confusing and muddy, however.

I'm certainly not an expert or even that well informed, but my guess is a city or county can have more restrictive knife laws than the state, but it is a stretch to think that a city could have more lenient laws than the state.
Old 03-29-2021, 6:47 PM

I can't keep up with them. I carry what I want and don't commit crime.
Old 05-20-2021, 3:28 PM

They have to prove intent. Most LEO have to be educated on the penal code on the spot so if they dont know how can they prove I know.
Old 05-20-2021, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK LION View Post
They have to prove intent. Most LEO have to be educated on the penal code on the spot so if they dont know how can they prove I know.
Every knife carrying statute that i'm aware of in California has been written as a "General Intent" crime.

Please do not confuse "Intent" with having knowledge of the prohibiting statute.

To win a conviction for carrying an illegal knife, the only "intent" that has to be shown is that you intended to carry the knife, and that's most often done by showing that you carried the knife. There is no requirement for the prosecution to show that you were aware that such carrying was illegal.
Old 05-27-2021, 5:28 PM

Very Confusing indeed. So my question: I was looking at a basic Buck Squire pocket knife. It is a baby brother to the big Buck pocket knife. It only has a 2 3/4 inch blade. If I understand correctly, you cannot carry it concealed in your pocket in the folded position because the blade can be locked into position when you unfold it?

In other words, it sounds like any small folding pocket knife that has a blade that locks into position when opened cannot be carried concealed, even if the blade is in folded position while concealed.
Old 05-27-2021, 5:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGEP View Post
Very Confusing indeed. So my question: I was looking at a basic Buck Squire pocket knife. It is a baby brother to the big Buck pocket knife. It only has a 2 3/4 inch blade. If I understand correctly, you cannot carry it concealed in your pocket in the folded position because the blade can be locked into position when you unfold it?

In other words, it sounds like any small folding pocket knife that has a blade that locks into position when opened cannot be carried concealed, even if the blade is in folded position while concealed.
Only on school property - K-12 and UC, and that's not associated with concealed but with location.

Folded folder, length/locking irrelevant, is legal most places in CA, concealed or not - Los Angeles City and County have that 3" limit, and some other localities may; one has to look, one by one.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-28-2021, 4:32 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Another question, I see the Kershaw Cryo is on sale at a local Big 5 store in Los Angeles. The blade (witch locks open) is about 2.6 inches or so in length. The knife is what I was told is "assist open" and NOT a switchblade because you have to start it out by pushing a thumb stud or paddle on the back of the blade with a finger and "overcome resistance" to get it to the point where a spring or bar take over.

I imagine that they are California legal for concealed carry or Big 5 would not sell them, but do you know about concealed pocket carry of a Kershaw Cryo in Los Angeles?
Old 05-28-2021, 5:21 PM
Administrator

Generally 'assisted opening' knives are OK; I EDC a Kershaw that is AO, and did in CA.

Can't sell a switchblade inside CA (PC 21510), so the Big5 offering is almost certainly (allowing for the rare error) OK.

And again, LA City/County have that 3" limit, and the knife you describe seems to accommodate that.

- Marcus Aurelius