Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-04-2021, 5:13 PM

Default Emergency Communication on Bureau of Land Management

Having never being target shooting on BLM land, I assume cell phone coverage is non-existent. Analog radio seems to be the best option? I have Ham license taking my Baofeng handheld in case of emergency out in the middle of nowhere. Some prep before I go, try to find nearest repeater, for example on carlaradio.net is linked repeater system I find Greenfield System 4 seems closest to Panoche Hills. Or 2-meter simplex on 146.520, but I never get any response even at home on that frequency. If anyone has experience at Panoche Hills or other feedback appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-05-2021, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

Amateur Radio isn’t a dedicated emergency service and isn’t being monitored by law enforcement or EMTs. Most repeaters are not monitored for long lengths of time during the day, so I would expect a response time between “hours” and “days” of trying before you can get a hold of someone. That kind of delay isn’t good in a real emergency.

I would suggest a PLB or SPOT device for that. They are dedicated emergency devices that go directly to first responders. If you go PLB, make sure to register it and keep the registration (free) current every 2 years. SPOT has a subscription service (costs money) that has to be kept current. Both SPOT and PLBs are satellite based communicators. They are used for life-and-death emergencies only, not for when you break an axle and have to walk to town.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=60SAjMXezFo

Ham radio is great for reaching out to random folks around the world, but always keep in mind that ham radio is “hobby radio”. There is an emergency services aspect to the hobby, but that is done in conjunction with law enforcement where plans are set up ahead of time and generally the nets are being run out of an emergency operations center during an event large enough to cause failure of primary communication systems. That kind of interoperability only happens during a large scale emergency where primary systems are overloaded or failed.

That said, ham radio is quite useful when you go out with a group and want to communicate with your group. I use ham radio for non-emergency messages while camping to the folks in town that know were I went, such as “having fun, staying an extra day”. I tend to use Winlink email over HF for that. I also use it for checking in with base camp, and being able to listen for other experienced folks in the area.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12

Last edited by unusedusername; 03-05-2021 at 7:47 AM..
Old 03-05-2021, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

We always file a flight plan and leave the info with someone at home. Detailed lats/longs with a route taken etc. ETA at home will be noted. Phone # of closest ranger station at destination.
Basic boon docking 101 kinda stuff.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 03-05-2021, 3:41 PM

The inReach garmin system will get you to the AF dispatch. Air Force will relay the distress call to the local county. You can have a SOS text that will send out your UTM coordinate. We are testing those in SAR.
Old 03-06-2021, 2:24 AM

Yes, checkout the Garmin inReach (two-way satellite communication.)

https://youtu.be/4CkTyJKsQNM

Old 03-06-2021, 5:52 AM

Inreach works well when I don’t have cell. You can also use it to contact anyone you want, but just for help. Strong recommendation of out by yourself. Costco sold them last year and service can be purchased monthly for like $16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2021, 9:52 PM

Check hear for repeaters: https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeate...hp?state_id=06

My budget safety net is to have the "Find my phone" feature enabled that way my wife can check on my location from home and if my behavior seems out of ordinary she can call search & rescue. If I have the presence of mind to do so I can remove the battery causing myself to "disappear" at a specific location - gioving them a good place to start a search.

Last edited by ChuckD; 03-07-2021 at 9:56 PM..
Old 03-08-2021, 3:06 PM

As part of my "flight plan," I'll leave instructions saying that: if I'm not heard from by such-and-such a time, I'll be transmitting/monitoring HAM freq. 123.456, or CB or FRS/GMRS channel x at the top of each hour...
This gives potential rescuers a place to start, absent cell service.
Old 03-12-2021, 2:26 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz74 View Post
Having never being target shooting on BLM land, I assume cell phone coverage is non-existent. Analog radio seems to be the best option? I have Ham license taking my Baofeng handheld in case of emergency out in the middle of nowhere. Some prep before I go, try to find nearest repeater, for example on carlaradio.net is linked repeater system I find Greenfield System 4 seems closest to Panoche Hills. Or 2-meter simplex on 146.520, but I never get any response even at home on that frequency. If anyone has experience at Panoche Hills or other feedback appreciated, thanks!
The San Benito County Amateur Radio Association (SBCARA) has 3 linked repeaters covering the county. The Call Mountain repeater covers most of Panoche.

https://sbcara.org/freq/