Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2017, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default Bonetti Road back to being patrolled by US Forest Service

Took the nephews up to Bonetti this morning for a little training, and got a visit by a very friendly Forest Service officer. He was just doing a "compliance check", not on the firearms, but just making sure we weren't shooting up an old TV or the live trees.
Had a brief chat, and he wished us a good day and went on his way, no worries. I noticed at least one other forest service vehicle up there, and when we left, one (couldn't tell if it was the same one from earlier) stationed right at the entrance.

First time in quite a while since I've seen one up there. I thought only the EDSO patrolled that area... is that still the case?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:21 PM

I'm a relatively new shooter and haven't been because I haven't spent time in finding it, but moreso because I've read lots of things it usually being filled with idiots with guns doing idiot things (unsafe, tons of littering, etc).

I guess I'll have to find it now.
Old 12-31-2017, 5:48 AM

Unfortunately, most California public ranges have "idiots with guns doing idiot things (unsafe, tons of littering, etc)".
Old 12-31-2017, 9:15 AM

I don't think I ever saw SO up there but have seen USFS personnel occasionally for years
Old 12-31-2017, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

This is good news.

A few years back, that USFS guy would have been Ken Marcus, and he would have done everything he could have to find something to charge you with, including checking your guns, searching your person and vehicle, and telling you some B.S. to try to scare you from coming back.

Fortunately for us, or unfortunately for our southern brethren, that scumbag was transferred to socal two years back.

I never mind encountering a friendly LEO in the back country. In fact I look forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
This is good news.

A few years back, that USFS guy would have been Ken Marcus, and he would have done everything he could have to find something to charge you with, including checking your guns, searching your person and vehicle, and telling you some B.S. to try to scare you from coming back.

Fortunately for us, or unfortunately for our southern brethren, that scumbag was transferred to socal two years back.

I never mind encountering a friendly LEO in the back country. In fact I look forward to it.

Haha, I remember the pirate4x4 threads... glad I never came across him.
Old 12-31-2017, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This is good news.

Agreed.
And if it keeps the knuckle-head factor down, I'll bring them cookies. It takes surprisingly few turds to ruin the punchbowl for everyone.
(though the knuckleheads tend to leave their brass)
Old 01-01-2018, 6:08 AM

I had read that Mormon Emigrant Trail was closed so no access to Bonetti. Apparently not the case.
Old 01-01-2018, 7:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8Guns View Post
I had read that Mormon Emigrant Trail was closed so no access to Bonetti. Apparently not the case.
Mormon Emigrant trail doesn't get plowed, so at it's southern end it won't be passable. That is a lot further down towards 88, everything before that is generally accessible.
I have learned to call the gas station in Pollock Pines before I head up and ask if it is clear, if I intend to drive through. I made the mistake once of trying to get through to 88 in the spring and making it 9/10ths of the way, only to be stopped by a wall of snow.

Old 01-02-2018, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Mormon Emigrant trail doesn't get plowed, so at it's southern end it won't be passable. That is a lot further down towards 88, everything before that is generally accessible.
I have learned to call the gas station in Pollock Pines before I head up and ask if it is clear, if I intend to drive through. I made the mistake once of trying to get through to 88 in the spring and making it 9/10ths of the way, only to be stopped by a wall of snow.

Yikes! That would make for a long day. Thanks for the info on Mormon Emigrant ; that's good to hear. Maybe I'll put on my long johns and head on up.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:04 AM

Any news whether Mormont Emigrant trail is closed right now? I know it snowed last week for 1 day but it's been sunny lately right?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2018, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latebraker View Post
KEN MARCUS continues his assault on law abiding citizens but can be stopped with your help.

Please forward any complaints, incidents, witnessed harassment or any other information you may have on this individual to my PM.
Didn't he get transferred to SoCal a while back?
Old 01-31-2018, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post
He no longer serves this area.
Old 01-31-2018, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
Agreed.
And if it keeps the knuckle-head factor down, I'll bring them cookies. It takes surprisingly few turds to ruin the punchbowl for everyone.
They seem to leave lots of trash too. A frame for targets or a steel tank is one thing, bottles and old appliances is trash.
Old 01-31-2018, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawndog View Post
They seem to leave lots of trash too. A frame for targets or a steel tank is one thing, bottles and old appliances is trash.

I agree too. If this helps keep the area nice I'm all for it.

For the record this is not new. I am up there almost weekly. I see the rangers often. Occasionally they stop and ask what kind of targets I'm using. Then they leave. No harassment or weapon checks. And every time they tell me, "We are just making sure everyone is not shooting up live trees or shooting t.v.'s" or something similar to that. Most interaction are less then one minute.

Usually I offer them to try out a few guns on my steel targets. As of yet NONE of them have taken me up on the offer.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latebraker View Post
KEN MARCUS continues his assault on law abiding citizens but can be stopped with your help.

Please forward any complaints, incidents, witnessed harassment or any other information you may have on this individual to my PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
He no longer serves this area.
Marcus' actions got the ElDo sheriff to pull law enforcement authority from the Forest Service rangers in the area. That got settled when Marcus got transferred to the furthest Southeast corner of California (Glamis), but he continues his BS there.
Quote:
HOTSKI2
Group:Members
Member No: 27745
Posted January 8, 2016 (edited)
Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of being contacted by the USFS LEO Ken Marcus while enjoying your vacation in Glamis?

This LEO has been serving in Glamis during the heavy holidays, and is known for his shakedown, abusive, scare tactic approach that is completley unnecessary while making "contact" with our friends and families in Glamis.

A couple years back, the Sheriff of El Dorado County in Northern California got so fed up with the USFS LEO treatment of visitors and local residents, he motioned to deny the USFS agencies ability to enforce law within the county moving forward.

USFS LEO Ken Marcus was named in several columns as the main individual the people's complaints were about.

Please google USFS Ken Marcus and you will find that this is exactly the type of LEO that we do NOT need contacting our Glamis friends and families.

If you have complaints regarding this officer, please report them!

Below is just one link regarding the issues with this LEO, be sure to read the peoples comments further down the link, and read on all the others when you Google him.

He thrives on bringing misery to the people of Glamis and other BLM areas.

Have your BLM ISDRA rules and regulations link ready when he shows up in your face, and remind him that treating people poorly on BLM lands wont be tolerated.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/...eo-ken-marcus/

How does this clown survive?
Old 02-05-2018, 8:03 PM

I'm wondering the same thing as the above poster, is this area currently accessible (by car) given the light winter we've had?
Old 02-05-2018, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Still at it too

What a douche canoe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 9:10 AM

God this place has been more crowded this year than I've seen in ten years. If I don't get there at the crack of dawn I've had to resort to my worse "hidden spots" and even then multiple people are driving by looking for a spot. The one upside is that my spot was cleaner than I had seen it in a while.

Watch out for two MONSTER potholes... They look to be about a foot deep.

From here on out I'll probably camp the night before.
Old 02-13-2018, 6:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j15w View Post
God this place has been more crowded this year than I've seen in ten years. If I don't get there at the crack of dawn I've had to resort to my worse "hidden spots" and even then multiple people are driving by looking for a spot. The one upside is that my spot was cleaner than I had seen it in a while.

Watch out for two MONSTER potholes... They look to be about a foot deep.

From here on out I'll probably camp the night before.
People post its location all the time on websites like this. You can literally find it on a google search.... are you surprised?

People can’t keep a good thing quiet.
Old 02-13-2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
People post its location all the time on websites like this. You can literally find it on a google search.... are you surprised?

People can’t keep a good thing quiet.
I've seen people just parked on the side of the road shooting into nothing on my last two trips!
Old 02-14-2018, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

Bonetti is just one of several good areas to shoot at up there. Remember Bonetti is basically just basically the beginning of the forest.
Old 03-25-2018, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Marcus' actions got the ElDo sheriff to pull law enforcement authority from the Forest Service rangers in the area. That got settled when Marcus got transferred to the furthest Southeast corner of California (Glamis), but he continues his BS there.

How does this clown survive?
Your sheriff can shut him down if he wants too. Send all complaints to that person, and photocopies to the BLM district office that has juridiction over Glamis. A binder cull of complaints should cure that a-hole. You can also send a copy of the complaint to the USDA (U.S Dept of Agriculture) administrator in Wash. D.C.
Old 03-31-2018, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Face book would be good for this to get all the complainants located. Guys like this just won’t get it until he’s cruising a Walmart lot one night getting propositioned by the beat to crap RV dwellers for half a Lincoln as a security guard. Even then I bet he puffs out his chest and works it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j15w View Post
I don't think I ever saw SO up there but have seen USFS personnel occasionally for years
The Forest Service Leo's have always patrolled Bonetti, there just are not enough of them to have them there as often as they should be. SO is also up there but very infrequently. stopped and talked with one early in the am about a week ago. wish they would spend more time as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
Agreed.
You will never get rid of the knuckle-head factor on Bonetti. Best we can do is educate those that will abide by the rules, and clean-up after or report those that will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
I agree too. If this helps keep the area nice I'm all for it.

For the record this is not new. I am up there almost weekly. I see the rangers often. Occasionally they stop and ask what kind of targets I'm using. Then they leave. No harassment or weapon checks. And every time they tell me, "We are just making sure everyone is not shooting up live trees or shooting t.v.'s" or something similar to that. Most interaction are less then one minute.
I am on Bonetti more than most, about 4 times in the last week alone, though I never have used the shooting areas which may seem odd. I am one of the first to get up there as the snow melts and get all the downed trees off the road. I am also working to get a large group together with others to clean as many of the shooting areas up on May 19th.
anyone is welcome to attend.

we need the help to keep the area open.
Old 05-21-2018, 1:10 PM

Regarding targets, the website for Eldorado National Forest says paper targets only. Is this enforced? No ar500 steel? Other national forest websites say steel is ok as long as it is “intended for shooting.”
Old 05-21-2018, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaux Getty View Post
Regarding targets, the website for Eldorado National Forest says paper targets only. Is this enforced? No ar500 steel? Other national forest websites say steel is ok as long as it is “intended for shooting.”
I shoot there often with ar500. The rangers have stopped by and checked me out more then a few times. Never had an issue. They just wanted to make sure I had a backstop, wasn't shooting trees or shooting up old t.v.'s.

It's been on the site for years but I've never seen or heard of it enforced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2018, 5:25 PM

Is the area reasonably accessible with a car?

I'd like to take a rifle out there, and yes, I will leave the place cleaner than I found it.
Old 05-22-2018, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansysinatra View Post

I'd like to take a rifle out there, and yes, I will leave the place cleaner than I found it.
Yes accessible by car.

Exactly my point earlier. Here is one person who responded they're going presumably because this thread. For every one that responds, there is 10+ that don't.

The internet can really ruin good things. This was directed at the lurkers, not at you mansysinatra. Same concept of people blowing stuff like SSE up on forums.
Old 05-22-2018, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansysinatra View Post

The only time you can't reach it in your average honda civic is during the winter. They don't plow the road. From Early December to early March it can be difficult to access because of that snow. So basically during the winter keep an eye on the weather reports.

Additionally if you check this camera http://www.slyparkweathercam.com/ and you can see snow on the shore of the lake or fresh snw in the trees then you will need a 4x4 to access Bonetti. The lake is only about 200 feet lower in elevation from Bonetti as best I can tell. I'm fortunate enough to have a Jeep with a locker so I can access it pretty much all year.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 05-22-2018 at 6:45 PM..
Old 05-22-2018, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
Yes accessible by car.

Exactly my point earlier. Here is one person who responded they're going presumably because this thread. For every one that responds, there is 10+ that don't.

The internet can really ruin good things. This was directed at the lurkers, not at you mansysinatra. Same concept of people blowing stuff like SSE up on forums.
And it will only get worse as the bay area tranny's flood in