Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-31-2018, 8:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Post San Jose PD CCW info

The main advantage of living in a city that issues is you get "two bites at the apple": you can apply with your city's PD. If you're denied, you can then try again with the Sheriff's Office.

San Jose PD issues. Under "Records", there's a column on the left side that's title "Related Information". One of them is "CCW Procedures" (Besides us gunnies, does the average resident know what "CCW" stands for?) That takes you to a page with the following:

Quote:
CCW - License To Carry a Concealed Weapon

Carrying a Concealed Weapon
San Jose Police Department’s Good Cause Statement

In support of legislation enacted in CA Senate Bill 610 passed on September 1, 2011 and effective January 1, 2012, we have listed the San Jose Police Department's Good Cause Statement below.

Good cause shall exist if [1] there is convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life or of great bodily injury to the applicant, his (or her) spouse, or dependent child, [2] which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and [3] which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and [4] which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm.

I added the numbers in brackets to the above statement re. GC to make it clear all of the conditions that must be present simultaneously for your GC to pass. It's basically CA AG John Van de Kamp's 1970s opinion on GC. Depending upon how tightly/loosely it is interpreted, it would be either dark or light red on the CA CCW GC map.

To get a GC determination you have to have a $150 psych eval + pay a $20 application fee. If your GC passes, you have to pay another $80 for permit processing to get your CCW.

Under Records, and then under just "Public Safety Permit Fee Schedule" (I had to reformat it since I can't do tabs.)

Quote:
CONCEALABLE FIREARMS

Permit to Carry Concealed Weapon
Per State Law
State Fee added upon CCW approval

Initial Application
$150 for psychological screening & initial processing fee of $20
For Psychological screening & Initial processing fee.

Permit Processing
$80
Upon passing all elements of CCW permit

Renewal
$25
For processing and committee review

Amendments
$10
For issuing State Permit and thumbprint

*City Fees are in addition to applicable State of California fees (PC 26185 & PC 26190) (State Fees are 90 Day Employment $71.00, Standard CCW $93.00, Judicial $115.00, Reserve $137.00)
From: http://www.sjpd.org/records/fees_pub...ty_permits.asp

Last edited by Paladin; 09-01-2018 at 1:34 PM..
Old 08-31-2018, 8:54 PM

Thats Crazy how the Fee's Fee's just add up...pshhhh
Old 08-31-2018, 9:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Santa Clara Co. city PDs re. CCWs

The main advantage of living in a city that issues is you get "two bites at the apple": you can apply with your city's PD. If you're denied, you can then try again with the Sheriff's Office.

The Town of Los Gatos/Monte Sereno PD issues CCWs

Unfortunately, there's no info re. their GC standard. Probably very restrictive.

Quote:
Concealed Carry Permits (CCW)

The Chief of Police is given the statutory discretion to issue a license to carry a firearm to residents within the community (Penal Code § 26150; Penal Code 26155).

In order to qualify for a license to carry a firearm, the applicant must meet certain requirements, including:
(a) Be a resident of the Town of Los Gatos/Monte Sereno Police Department (Penal Code §26150; Penal Code § 26155).

(b) Be at least 21 years of age (Penal Code § 29610).

(c) Fully complete an application that will include substantial personal information. Much of the information in the application may be subject to public access under the Public Records Act.

(d) Be free from criminal convictions that would disqualify the applicant from carrying a firearm. Fingerprints will be required and a complete criminal background check will be conducted.

(e) Be of good moral character (Penal Code § 26150; Penal Code § 26155). The applicant shall provide at least three letters of character reference.

(f) Show good cause for the issuance of the license (Penal Code § 26150; Penal Code §26155).

(g) Pay all associated application fees. These fees are set by statute and may not be refunded if the application is denied.

(h) Provide proof of ownership or registration of any firearm to be licensed.

(i) Be free from any psychological conditions that might make the applicant unsuitable for carrying a firearm (Penal Code §26190).

(j) Complete required training (Penal Code § 26165).

The application process for a license to carry a firearm shall consist of two phases. Upon the successful completion of each phase, the applicant will advance to the next phase until the process is completed and the license is either issued or denied.

If there are questions regarding the application process, contact Sergeant Kalipo Kauweloa at KKauweloa@LosGatosCA.gov or by telephone at (408) 354-6848.
From: https://www.losgatosca.gov/2197/Conc...ry-Permits-CCW

Last edited by Paladin; 09-01-2018 at 1:29 PM.. Reason: making it for all SC Co cities
Old 09-01-2018, 7:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Campbell PD issues and had information https://www.ci.campbell.ca.us/522/Permits

Quote:
Permit: Concealed Weapon (CCW) (New)
Police Fee: $370
Municipal Code: State Law
City Council Approval: No
Application & Instructions: CCW Application (embedded link) Contact Police Administrative Sergeant: 408-866-2717

Permit: Concealed Weapon (CCW) (Annual Renewal)
Police Fee: $56
Municipal Code: State Law
City Council Approval: No
Application & Instructions: CCW Application (embedded link) Contact Police Administrative Sergeant: 408-866-2717
Cupertino uses the Sheriff's Office: https://www.cupertino.org/our-city/d...eriff-s-office

No info on Gilroy PD website:
http://www.cityofgilroy.org/151/Police-Department

No info on Los Altos PD website:
https://www.losaltosca.gov/police/page/forms-permits

Los Altos Hills uses the SO:
http://www.losaltoshills.ca.gov/222/Public-Safety

No info on Milipitas PD website: http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/milpit...tments/police/

No info on Morgan Hill PD website:
http://www.morgan-hill.ca.gov/129/Police

Mountain View PD issues CCWs and had this minimal info: https://www.mountainview.gov/depts/p...fo/permits.asp

Quote:
Concealed Weapons Permits
Contact: 650-903-6344 and ask to speak to the sergeant who handles CCWs.
Form: CCW Permit
An embedded link takes you to a .pdf of the standard state CCW app form, plus some pages of info re. who can't possess a handgun per state and federal laws. The weird thing is the last 4 pages are LASO CCW policy info and LASO approved CCW trainers info.
See: https://www.mountainview.gov/civicax...px?blobid=7279

No info on Palo Alto PD website: https://www.cityofpaloalto.org/gov/d...ol/default.asp

Saratoga uses the SO:
https://www.saratoga.ca.us/195/Sheriffs-Office

No info on City of Santa Clara's PD website.
http://santaclaraca.gov/government/d...ice-department

No info on Sunnyvale PD website: https://sunnyvale.ca.gov/government/safety/default.htm

Last edited by Paladin; 09-01-2018 at 3:17 PM..
Old 09-09-2018, 3:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

bump
Old 09-13-2018, 10:56 PM

I live in San Jose... can I go through Los Gatos or Campbell? Those are both nearby

Last edited by Imperius; 09-13-2018 at 11:15 PM..
Old 09-14-2018, 10:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperius View Post
I live in San Jose... can I go through Los Gatos or Campbell? Those are both nearby

You can try but I highly doubt they will issue you a permit.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 09-14-2018, 10:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just as you can only apply to the SO of the county of your residence, so also you can only apply to the PD of the city, if any, of your residence.

At least that's what the law says.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Just as you can only apply to the SO of the county of your residence, so also you can only apply to the PD of the city, if any, of your residence.

I tried applying to Monterey County for a non-resident 90 days work permit. They denied me. They said I didn’t qualify the residency requirement and told me to apply to Santa Clara. Why would any anti CCW PD or SO issue to a non-resident when they won’t even issue to their own? Monterey is shall issue. I’m referring to the PD and SO of the Bay Area.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 09-15-2018, 7:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
I tried applying to Monterey County for a non-resident 90 days work permit. They denied me. They said I didn’t qualify the residency requirement and told me to apply to Santa Clara.
This does not make any sense. You can't get a 90 day work permit from your own SO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
Why would any anti CCW PD or SO issue to a non-resident when they won’t even issue to their own? Monterey is shall issue. I’m referring to the PD and SO of the Bay Area.
Many IAs do not issue the 90 day business permits even though they can.
Old 09-23-2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:

Do you know if SJPD issues a little more leniently than the Santa Clara SO?
Old 09-23-2018, 8:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Do you know if SJPD issues a little more leniently than the Santa Clara SO?
The first post in this thread is re. SJPD's CCW policy, so you know they're very restrictive too. I numbered all the qualifications required and they ALL must be met.

If you have a very good GC (e.g., stalker who's been reported to the police and restraining order granted or you carry lots of cash due to your business and have been attacked in the past (and reported)), then I'd go for it. Apply first with SJPD and if you're denied (and denied after appealing your initial denial), apply and do the same with Santa Clara SO. (I'd wait until after the Nov 6th election re. SCSO: If Smith wins, apply whenever you're done with SJPD. If she loses, apply after January w/Hirokawa.) See the advice I gave phdo in post #731 and following at:https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...352799&page=19

In another thread, IIRC the main Santa Clara Co. CCW Info thread, I went back 4 years and could not find a single applicant who's app wasn't dependent upon us winning Peruta. IOW, we're all operating off of ignorance re. SCSO/Smith's issuance practices. Similarly, I don't recall anyone in the past 4 years saying they applied with SJPD.

So, you place your bets, you take your chances -- or not.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-23-2018 at 9:02 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 5:58 AM

Default Morgan Hill PD

This is my first post here, but thought I'd add that Morgan Hill does do CCW processing. I emailed the chief a while back and got this reply:

"We issue permits; however, the process requires the showing of good cause. Please contact Lisa Cardenas, copied here, for more information."
Lisa's email is Lisa.Cardenas@morganhill.ca.gov

I don't know what constitutes GC with them, but I'll be filing for one this week.

Jon
Old 11-06-2018, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMorganHill View Post
This is my first post here, but thought I'd add that Morgan Hill does do CCW processing. I emailed the chief a while back and got this reply:

"We issue permits; however, the process requires the showing of good cause. Please contact Lisa Cardenas, copied here, for more information."
Lisa's email is Lisa.Cardenas@morganhill.ca.gov

I don't know what constitutes GC with them, but I'll be filing for one this week.

Jon
Given the horses *** gun law that was just passed in Morgan Hick I wish you good luck. According to the draft of the ordinance that I saw you need a permit to shoot a BB gun in your backyard.
Old 11-06-2018, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
Given the horses *** gun law that was just passed in Morgan Hick I wish you good luck. According to the draft of the ordinance that I saw you need a permit to shoot a BB gun in your backyard.
Well that's encouraging
Any links available for this?

EDIT: Found the info on this

Thanks

Last edited by JonMorganHill; 11-06-2018 at 7:46 AM..
Old 12-04-2018, 5:31 PM

I'm also preparing to apply for CCW with the Morgan a Hill police department.

As Jon noted above, they require a showing of good cause. Per their emailed requirements, they define good cause as:

You must show good cause for the issuance of the permit. In Morgan Hill, good cause will be determined by information that there is reasonable cause to believe that a clear and present danger to the life of, or great bodily injury to, the applicant, spouse, children, or other members of the immediate family exists which cannot be mitigated by alternative forms of intervention
Old 12-04-2018, 10:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I encourage anyone who's applying to any Issuing Agency that is not "dark green" to read the first 3 posts in my thread of California CCW Application Advice thread pinned at to of this forum: it can help you and won't hurt you. Why face needless risks with your application?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

Share the link with family, friends, shooting buddies, etc.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-08-2021 at 7:48 PM..
Old 01-31-2019, 4:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No info on City of Santa Clara's PD website.
http://santaclaraca.gov/government/d...ice-department
I've been trying on and off to chase down this info for a while without success. I believe it's on record that Santa Clara PD is the IA for their reserve officers, which means they must not be set up with the MOU to defer to the SCCSO.

Unless anyone else has spoken with Chief Sellers about this, it's probably something that needs to be revisited. I will ask around, but the last time I placed an inquiry, it went unanswered.
'Informal" email Background complete: 9/19
Email to schedule Psych: 10/27@1539 ($150)
Psych Test: 11/3@0800|Psych Interview: 11/9@0900 (Dr.McKenzie)
LiveScan: 11/9 (UPS Store $93+$25)|Livescan cleared: CA/FBI 11/9, Firearms 11/20
LiveScan Email: 11/17@0842
Training Email: 11/29@1007|Instructor: 1/10/2024 SaberTactics ($399+40)|Docs: 1/12
Approval: 1/17@1346 ($264+$7.96)|Pickup: 1/19@1030
Old 02-01-2019, 5:55 PM

Anyone know if the chief of police at SJSU (or any University PD) has issuing power? I know they process live scans for CCW's and guard cards there
Old 02-01-2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Anyone know if the chief of police at SJSU (or any University PD) has issuing power? I know they process live scans for CCW's and guard cards there
No. Permits may only be issued by a sheriff (PC 26150) or a "chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county) (PC 26155). A University Police Department is not a "municipal police department of a city or county."
Old 02-01-2019, 6:28 PM

Paladin,

Have you checked to see how many CCW permits have actually been issued by San Jose PD and the other agencies cited?

The reason I ask is that the issuance criteria published on the websites gives the impression of being supportive of issuance, but the provision where the applicant is presented with a threat that "cannot be alleviated by other means" is pretty much a proverbial "kiss of death." That same terminology is used in Los Angeles County to cause the near universal denial of applications. When you think about, there are alternative means to mitigating just about any threat, not the least of which is to hire a bodyguard.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:38 AM

Default Milpitas

Update for Milpitas: found the MPD Policy Manual for 2019. Took the relevant pages - see attached PDF.

What's positive is their supposed determination re. Good Cause, which is at least a lot more open than "cannot be alleviated through other means" (i.e. San Jose).

Quote:
1. The determination of good cause should consider the totality of circumstances
in each individual case.
2. Any denial for lack of good cause should be rational, articulable and not arbitrary in nature.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MPD CCW Policy.pdf (23.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-28-2019, 1:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Paladin,

Have you checked to see how many CCW permits have actually been issued by San Jose PD and the other agencies cited?
No. I don't live in SClara Co. You guys can easily find out by just calling and asking. They'll often just tell you. Be sure to specify you're interested only in the standard 2-year CCWs (not the 90 day business, 3 year judicial or 4 year reserves CCWs). If they won't tell you, just file a Public Records Act request for that info. If you search around their website you'll probably find info about that there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
The reason I ask is that the issuance criteria published on the websites gives the impression of being supportive of issuance, but the provision where the applicant is presented with a threat that "cannot be alleviated by other means" is pretty much a proverbial "kiss of death." That same terminology is used in Los Angeles County to cause the near universal denial of applications. When you think about, there are alternative means to mitigating just about any threat, not the least of which is to hire a bodyguard.
Link? I haven't looked at those PDs since I started this thread.

Sometimes an IA issues more liberally than the stated acceptable GC on their website.
Old 06-15-2020, 7:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootle View Post
I've been trying on and off to chase down this info for a while without success. I believe it's on record that Santa Clara PD is the IA for their reserve officers, which means they must not be set up with the MOU to defer to the SCCSO.

Unless anyone else has spoken with Chief Sellers about this, it's probably something that needs to be revisited. I will ask around, but the last time I placed an inquiry, it went unanswered.
Thread necro. Ran into this for City of Santa Clara, last updated in 2014.

https://www.santaclaraca.gov/home/showdocument?id=65509
Quote:
It is the policy of the Santa Clara Police Department that concealed weapons permits (CCW’s) will only be issued to current and retired police officers of the Santa Clara Police Department. Current Department recognized Level 1 and Level 2 reserve officers actively serving in the Reserve program will be issued an identification card with a CCW endorsement.

Members of the general public who wish to obtain a concealed weapons permit will be directed to the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office. However, the Chief of Police has the ability to make exceptions to this policy.
Since Chief Sellers is out, it would be an amusing exercise to inquire with incoming Chief Nikolai what his stance might be on CCW (probably a rhetorical question). I'll poke at it some more, but hey, it's an election year! Hah.

On further consideration, isn't the above in violation of CA state law? If the City chief enters into a MOU with the County, then the County Sheriff is the IA... but the City can't selectively be IA only for their own officers, right? Relevant CA Penal Code section 26150: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=26150
LiveScan: 11/9 (UPS Store $93+$25)|Livescan cleared: CA/FBI 11/9, Firearms 11/20
Training Email: 11/29@1007|Instructor: 1/10/2024 SaberTactics ($399+40)|Docs: 1/12

Last edited by scootle; 06-15-2020 at 7:51 PM..
Old 06-15-2020, 8:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thread necro. Ran into this for City of Santa Clara, last updated in 2014.

https://www.santaclaraca.gov/home/showdocument?id=65509

Since Chief Sellers is out, it would be an amusing exercise to inquire with incoming Chief Nikolai what his stance might be on CCW (probably a rhetorical question). I'll poke at it some more, but hey, it's an election year! Hah.
Chiefs are appointed, not elected. Next sheriffs' election is in 2 years. You may want to organize a group to focus on pressuring Smith to liberalize issuance, or to elect someone who will.

Quote:
On further consideration, isn't the above in violation of CA state law? If the City chief enters into a MOU with the County, then the County Sheriff is the IA... but the City can't selectively be IA only for their own officers, right? Relevant CA Penal Code section 26150: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=26150
I replied to your PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Chiefs are appointed, not elected. Next sheriffs' election is in 2 years. You may want to organize a group to focus on pressuring Smith to liberalize issuance, or to elect someone who will.
Santa Clara PD Chief is elected.
Old 06-16-2020, 9:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Santa Clara PD Chief is elected.
Really? With sheriffs, the June primary usually decides who wins. If no one gets >50%, the Nov election is a runoff. Is that the same with Santa Clara CoP? If so, who's in the runoff and what are their stances re. CCWs?

If you aren't already, you may want to contact: https://gs2ac.com/blogs/ They're also on FB, etc. You could probably find 2nd A activists there willing to help with SC CoP election even if they don't live in SC.

Let us/me know how things go!