Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 06-11-2019, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Default CA Draw is up.....Seriously!

Lucky me! C tag - check!, Sheep tag - check!, antelope tag - check!, alternate Grizzly Island cow tag!

And.......my doctor has diagnosed me with a serious case of outdoors story telling!

Sh*t.......C tag only.
Old 06-11-2019, 7:05 PM

OK, I gotta ask. Is this C tag something special? maybe sorta like one of our controlled hunts in november or december for elk or deer?
Old 06-11-2019, 7:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
OK, I gotta ask. Is this C tag something special? maybe sorta like one of our controlled hunts in november or december for elk or deer?
A tag. Check

D5 tag. Check

C1 tag. Check

C1 again tag. Check

Maui tags. Filled

Non collared bull elk tag in Cache Creek. Check
Old 06-11-2019, 7:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
C1 tags are exclusive to land owners who pay CA property tax
Old 06-11-2019, 7:43 PM

C zone is fished out. We've hunted there for years with decent success amongst 5 hunters. When C zone became a premium zone, we quit hunting there. It's not worth burning preference points for. If you really want to hunt C zone, apply for G1 late season instead. It's C zone but later in the season with good chances for weather to roll in.

My youngest daughter drew the junior, either sex hunt zone she wanted.

For 2nd tags, we just get our local zone because we hunt here on my ranch (250 acres) and I lease another 1250. I don't always fill my 2nd tag but I made a rule years ago that it had to be 3 point or better.
Old 06-11-2019, 7:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
C zone is fished out. We've hunted there for years with decent success amongst 5 hunters. When C zone became a premium zone, we quit hunting there. It's not worth burning preference points for. If you really want to hunt C zone, apply for G1 late season instead. It's C zone but later in the season with good chances for weather to roll in.

For 2nd tags, we just get our local zone because we hunt here on my ranch (250 acres) and I lease another 1250. I don't always fill my 2nd tag but I made a rule years ago that it had to be 3 point or better.
Do you realize that the 3 point or better rule actually hurts your deer management? A good mature fork may never be a 3 or 4 pointer due to genetics. Couple years ago I killed an old fork/spike (big sucker) to get him out of the gene pool. Donít want him mating and passing on the poor gene.
Old 06-11-2019, 7:56 PM

^^ I have to disagree with you. That might be applicable to certain areas of the state but for my land and the additional land that I lease, 3 point or better has produced some really nice bucks. Including myself and kids, I only allow 2 additional people to hunt up here. I've got it dialed in pretty well.
Old 06-11-2019, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
^^ I have to disagree with you. That might be applicable to certain areas of the state but for my land and the additional land that I lease, 3 point or better has produced some really nice bucks. Including myself and kids, I only allow 2 additional people to hunt up here. I've got it dialed in pretty well.
Iím not talking about killing 2 and 3 year olds.

Iím talking true buck management. At the end of the season and holding back for 3 points or better including juvenile 3 pointers is poor buck management.

Many good deer properties survive on offering non trophy deer management hunts. 3x2ís that are mature are management bucks that they like to cull from the herd. Much like the 4 yr old spike fork I killed
Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 PM

^^^Welp, I guess we have to agree to disagree. Every property type and terrain is different. I'm a 3rd gen cattle rancher. What my Grandfather did back in the day was different than what I do today and will be different from what my offspring does tomorrow. You do what you want,....I'll do what I want.
Old 06-12-2019, 6:04 AM

My son and I drew G-13! Luckily little bastard also drew the J-11 junior San Bernardino either sex tag!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No, not at all. In fact, while its considered to be a Premium deer tag, there really isn't anything "premium" about it. I listed it as I did all the tags I applied for. C zone can be productive if the weather cooperates, but the hunting in this zone is nothing like it was in the 1970's and early 80's.
Old 06-12-2019, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I've been hunting C4 since around 1973. While the hunting isn't as good now as it was back then, it still can be productive after opening weekend along with a bit of cooler weather. A little snow and cooler weather gets the bucks up in Lassen Park on the move. However, when I was much younger we would hunt the Paynes Creek area with great success when the migration started. But to get it started you needed a big change in the weather patterns. Remember......back in the 70's the deer season in this area didn't start until October and ran longer than it does now so you were likely to get a change in the weather pattern. Today.....it's difficult hunting if its warm but does improve with rain, snow or temp drops. I've got 40 years of hunting experience in this zone (long before there were zones). It still can be good hunting.
Old 06-12-2019, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
No, not at all. In fact, while its considered to be a Premium deer tag, there really isn't anything "premium" about it. I listed it as I did all the tags I applied for. C zone can be productive if the weather cooperates, but the hunting in this zone is nothing like it was in the 1970's and early 80's.
Sounds even more dependent on "weather" than D-7 or D-8, both can be really good if you get some and the right amount and type.
Old 06-12-2019, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sounds even more dependent on "weather" than D-7 or D-8, both can be really good if you get some and the right amount and type.
Isn't this true with just about all big game hunting? I know it is in Colorado where I hunt elk and mule deer. If it's warm, the elk hunker down in the dark timber and usually hear you approaching from a mile away. Hunting in 50-60 degree weather in November is not ideal or conducive to good elk hunting. Cold temps and about a foot of snow (in our area) is just about ideal to get the elk moving. For mule deer, most in our area seem to want to head to lower country at the first sign of cold weather, particularly snow. Yes, some of the deer, usually the bigger bucks will hang out longer in the colder weather and higher altitudes, but that changes quickly during the rut in mid November.

I guess it goes without saying that weather is just about the most important factor during elk and deer seasons regardless of the state that you hunt.
Old 06-12-2019, 9:44 AM

A medium to heavy snow then a small short warm up just enough to make the top of the snow melt some. Then a cold snap, real cold is best and it will crust the snow so hard and deep it makes the deer and elk move down at least for a few days, they cant paw down through the ice (crusted snow) to feed so they move. If no hard weather you can find the elk in the black timber and work them from "green to green", they have to feed water and travel. Bulls in the rut will wallow regular. Elk are funny things, I once whistled one raghorn bull up after the rut with a empty 30-06 case, I almost had to shoot the little stinker he was so onrey. There are always some elk around you just have to find them and get in for the shot, I shot one bull out in the sage on a 80 degree day. I was still shooting for horns back in the day so I popped the 6X6 and let the 5X5 walk. Even as big as he was he was decent eating. I wasn't hunting elk that day it was to hot so I was hunting mule deer out in the sage. Most of the older bucks have been in the rodeo a time or two so they avoid anything to do with people, most cases they wont come down until they have to. The smaller bucks, does and fawns are fogging of the mountain at the first snowflake that hits their nose. But there are almost always a few around when and where you don't think they will or would be, they just have a different life. I'm a very different kind of hunter than the average type. Good Luck where ever you end up.
elk hunter
Old 06-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
I've been hunting C4 since around 1973. While the hunting isn't as good now as it was back then, it still can be productive after opening weekend along with a bit of cooler weather. A little snow and cooler weather gets the bucks up in Lassen Park on the move. However, when I was much younger we would hunt the Paynes Creek area with great success when the migration started. But to get it started you needed a big change in the weather patterns. Remember......back in the 70's the deer season in this area didn't start until October and ran longer than it does now so you were likely to get a change in the weather pattern. Today.....it's difficult hunting if its warm but does improve with rain, snow or temp drops. I've got 40 years of hunting experience in this zone (long before there were zones). It still can be good hunting.
I agree on the weather to make em move. If not, it's too dadgum warm, which is has been for the last several years. We hunted G1 two years ago and the weather came in with a fury one night. So bad that we almost packed up camp and left.

I never did like hunting the canyon at Paynes. It always felt like the Hatfield's and McCoy's. Hunters and both sides, watching the same hole. I always wore extra orange to make sure could be seen. LOL Lot's of cool non-typical's have come out of Paynes though.