Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 AM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default Carrying Back Up Revolver Ammo

Hey guys I made a short video on different ways to carry back up revolver ammo. I currently use Bianchi speed strips however, I am sure you guys might have some other good ideas as well. Let me know!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-25-2019, 6:55 PM
riprap riprap is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At large
Posts: 549
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Speed strips.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-25-2019, 6:56 PM
Citadelgrad87's Avatar
Citadelgrad87 Citadelgrad87 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,013
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Yeah, the dishonestly named “speed” strips.

Ever time them? Better than nothing, but not by much.

Edit, that sounds snarky. It isnt. I mean i USE them, but they arent speedy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-25-2019, 7:03 PM
rudigan's Avatar
rudigan rudigan is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fresno County
Posts: 1,435
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Yep, "Speed strips" is misleading for sure.
Funny, I recently compared reloading with each, speed loaders are way faster.

Speed Loader = Faster but more PITA to carry

Speed Strip = Much easier to carry but much slower
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-25-2019, 7:13 PM
wpod's Avatar
wpod wpod is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,915
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Some are probably tired of seeing this, but...
I carry 3 speed loaders in a cellphone case.
Works for a double-stack mag too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-25-2019, 7:15 PM
Citadelgrad87's Avatar
Citadelgrad87 Citadelgrad87 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,013
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Who would get tired of that?

Its a great idea.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2019, 9:27 AM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Some are probably tired of seeing this, but...
I carry 3 speed loaders in a cellphone case.
Works for a double-stack mag too

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Honestly this is a great idea. I have always had an issue with the grips getting in the way of speed loaders on the J-Frame sized revolvers. Have you had the same issue or is it just the difference of grips?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2019, 10:05 AM
wpod's Avatar
wpod wpod is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,915
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWhiteGoose View Post
Honestly this is a great idea. I have always had an issue with the grips getting in the way of speed loaders on the J-Frame sized revolvers. Have you had the same issue or is it just the difference of grips?
It's a Ruger SP101 357. I've had no issues with the Hogue Monogrip or the Diamond Pro grip.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2019, 10:16 AM
SnWnMe's Avatar
SnWnMe SnWnMe is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The 951
Posts: 6,128
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

I just don't miss. Problem solved.

J/K. I carry Speed Strips of 44 and 38 flavors in my front right pocket. I'm sort of a minimalist with my CCW. No holster, one reload kinda guy.
__________________
Frank Da Tank
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2019, 1:27 PM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I just don't miss. Problem solved.

J/K. I carry Speed Strips of 44 and 38 flavors in my front right pocket. I'm sort of a minimalist with my CCW. No holster, one reload kinda guy.
Haha well I did just have a great day of practice and I have to agree. PS, your name reminded me to watch more Dirty Harry.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-27-2019, 3:37 PM
rodblder rodblder is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: san diego
Posts: 326
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

I have a sweet Taren Tactical nylon pouch that holds 2 8 shot TT speed loaders for my SW Performance CTR SS snubby....
__________________
[SIGPIC]
____________________________________

NRA Life Member 45+ yrs
CRPA Life Member 45+ yrs
Navy Pilot Retired
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-30-2019, 9:10 PM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodblder View Post
I have a sweet Taren Tactical nylon pouch that holds 2 8 shot TT speed loaders for my SW Performance CTR SS snubby....
oh please don't be afraid to share a photo!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-30-2019, 9:23 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 32,521
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Yeah, the dishonestly named “speed” strips.

Ever time them? Better than nothing, but not by much.

Edit, that sounds snarky. It isnt. I mean i USE them, but they arent speedy.
My feeling as well.
Honestly? New York Reload, or the revolver is the last resort reliable backup for the semiauto.


I've considered putting a J frame on my permit a couple of times, but I'm just not good enough with them. Sure, I would qualify, but I'm not confident that under duress I'd be accurate enough.
__________________
- Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-01-2019, 8:05 AM
ACfixer's Avatar
ACfixer ACfixer is offline
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KAPV-L35 SoCal
Posts: 2,330
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
I've considered putting a J frame on my permit a couple of times, but I'm just not good enough with them. Sure, I would qualify, but I'm not confident that under duress I'd be accurate enough.
My feelings exactly. I know exactly zero people, myself certainly included, that are what I would consider "good" with a snub nose 38 fired DA only. Way better than nothing of course, but not nearly as good as a semi.

A 1.87" model 60 with five shots vs. a Glock 19 with 16 shots? Easy choice for me.
__________________


Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-02-2019, 5:46 PM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
My feelings exactly. I know exactly zero people, myself certainly included, that are what I would consider "good" with a snub nose 38 fired DA only. Way better than nothing of course, but not nearly as good as a semi.

A 1.87" model 60 with five shots vs. a Glock 19 with 16 shots? Easy choice for me.
Well the J Frame I carry is at least a 3" barrel with full grips so it actually is pretty accurate from the draw. I use the Buffalo Bore 125gr .357MAG Low Recoil Low Flash rounds and it handles well. I only carry that over my Sig P320 when I can't properly conceal my double stack due to work clothes and what not.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-03-2019, 7:54 PM
Bumslie's Avatar
Bumslie Bumslie is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PRK Socal
Posts: 5,184
iTrader: 49 / 100%
Default

I'm gonna have to try a speed loader for my lcr in .327. Its a backup/ankle/pocket so I don't practice speed reloads with it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
NRA Life Member
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-06-2019, 9:06 AM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,653
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWhiteGoose View Post
Hey guys I made a short video on different ways to carry back up revolver ammo. I currently use Bianchi speed strips however, I am sure you guys might have some other good ideas as well. Let me know!
Some thoughts:

1. Technique:
a. You’re right handed? (watch is on the left wrist.) Hold the gun in your left hand and the load with the right. You’ll have more dexterity and control.
b. Cradle the gun in the left hand, controlling the cylinder with the thumb so it doesn’t move/close.
c. Lower the muzzle so gravity is your friend and the ammunition will fall into the cylinder.

2. Speed Loaders: Jiggle the loader as you insert it. That will help.

3. Speed strips:
a. If possible, use a speed strip with at least one more space than you need (5-round gun; six round loader). That allows a greater grip surface on the strip and helps guiding it into position.
b. Start loading from the top of the strip, not next to your hand. Grip with the hand and put your thumb on the back of the loader. Push with the thumb while “peeling” the loader off. Load two at once.
c. Rotate, stabilize and align the cylinder with the left thumb as you go.

4. Moon clips: Reserve for the range/competitions. The potential for them bending during everyday carry makes them a poor choice for self-defense.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."

Last edited by Dvrjon; 05-06-2019 at 9:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-06-2019, 8:53 PM
cindynles's Avatar
cindynles cindynles is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Temecula
Posts: 2,718
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Some thoughts:
4. Moon clips: Reserve for the range/competitions. The potential for them bending during everyday carry makes them a poor choice for self-defense.
You just need the right type of carrier for them. I have a 442 Pro cut for moon clips and I have never bent a moon clip carried in these.



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-08-2019, 8:25 AM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Some thoughts:

1. Technique:
a. You’re right handed? (watch is on the left wrist.) Hold the gun in your left hand and the load with the right. You’ll have more dexterity and control.
b. Cradle the gun in the left hand, controlling the cylinder with the thumb so it doesn’t move/close.
c. Lower the muzzle so gravity is your friend and the ammunition will fall into the cylinder.

2. Speed Loaders: Jiggle the loader as you insert it. That will help.

3. Speed strips:
a. If possible, use a speed strip with at least one more space than you need (5-round gun; six round loader). That allows a greater grip surface on the strip and helps guiding it into position.
b. Start loading from the top of the strip, not next to your hand. Grip with the hand and put your thumb on the back of the loader. Push with the thumb while “peeling” the loader off. Load two at once.
c. Rotate, stabilize and align the cylinder with the left thumb as you go.

4. Moon clips: Reserve for the range/competitions. The potential for them bending during everyday carry makes them a poor choice for self-defense.
Thanks for the info! At one time, I had the speedloader thing down as I had to qualify with 2 speedloads in a short amount of time for a class I took. Since, I haven't much liked using them but I agree that technique is key.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-08-2019, 3:19 PM
TurboChrisB's Avatar
TurboChrisB TurboChrisB is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 4,561
iTrader: 72 / 100%
Default

I pocket carry my LCR .357 with 38+P just about anytime I'm wearing cargo shorts....which is about half the year.

I have two Bianchi speed strips in a cool little velco case....nice and flat and you don't even know it's there. I can't think of a way to carry speed loaders with out it being a total pain....on my belt? I don't think so.


https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/11...iABEgLzY_D_BwE
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-08-2019, 8:54 PM
Boblaw Boblaw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 231
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Setting: Unnamed gun store in San Diego with 20 something clerk.

Me "Where are your speed strips?"

Clerk: "What's a speed strip"

I am definitely getting old.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-09-2019, 5:53 AM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblaw View Post
Setting: Unnamed gun store in San Diego with 20 something clerk.

Me "Where are your speed strips?"

Clerk: "What's a speed strip"

I am definitely getting old.
If it makes you feel better, I am only 31 haha!
__________________
MagicPrepper.com YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-09-2019, 6:22 AM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,653
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblaw View Post
Setting: Unnamed gun store in San Diego with 20 something clerk.

Me "Where are your speed strips?"

Clerk: "What's a speed strip"

I am definitely getting old.
An individual's ignorance of their job may age you, but the problem isn't that you're getting old.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-09-2019, 8:38 AM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,653
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
You just need the right type of carrier for them. I have a 442 Pro cut for moon clips and I have never bent a moon clip carried in these.



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How in the world do you conceal that?
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-09-2019, 2:45 PM
cindynles's Avatar
cindynles cindynles is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Temecula
Posts: 2,718
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
How in the world do you conceal that?
In my pocket. It's smaller than a speed loader.
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-14-2019, 9:14 AM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
In my pocket. It's smaller than a speed loader.
Front pocket or a cargo pocket?
__________________
MagicPrepper.com YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-14-2019, 4:10 PM
cindynles's Avatar
cindynles cindynles is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Temecula
Posts: 2,718
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Front pocket.
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-16-2019, 4:01 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is offline
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 16,571
iTrader: 319 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Yeah, the dishonestly named “speed” strips.

Ever time them? Better than nothing, but not by much.

Edit, that sounds snarky. It isnt. I mean i USE them, but they arent speedy.
I always have a couple of them in my weak side pocket when carrying my LCR .38

They keep the rounds together, pointed in one direction and don't print like speed loaders. Beyond that, they are about as speedy as molasses.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-16-2019, 4:03 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is offline
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 16,571
iTrader: 319 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Some are probably tired of seeing this, but...
I carry 3 speed loaders in a cellphone case.
That is pretty nifty. I like it. I do not care for HKS speed loaders though. The Safariland offering is better for me.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-16-2019, 4:22 PM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
That is pretty nifty. I like it. I do not care for HKS speed loaders though. The Safariland offering is better for me.
The HKS loaders have always given me issues as well. Either way, one of the benefits of carrying wheel guns is the caliber! If you're one of those .44 Magnum guys, hopefully a reload is never a reality.
__________________
MagicPrepper.com YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-16-2019, 5:10 PM
Dvrjon Dvrjon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,653
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWhiteGoose View Post
The HKS loaders have always given me issues as well. Either way, one of the benefits of carrying wheel guns is the caliber! If you're one of those .44 Magnum guys, hopefully a reload is never a reality.
On the plus side, if you’re carrying a .44 M with a 4” barrel, and you miss, the muzzle blast will fry your opponent.
__________________
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool."
"The things that come to those who wait may well be the things left by those who got there first."
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-17-2019, 6:48 AM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
On the plus side, if you’re carrying a .44 M with a 4” barrel, and you miss, the muzzle blast will fry your opponent.
Haha you'll at the least make them deaf
__________________
MagicPrepper.com YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-17-2019, 6:38 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 32,521
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWhiteGoose View Post
Haha you'll at the least make them deaf
44Mag = Defensive flash-bang grenade
__________________
- Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-18-2019, 12:56 PM
DeadWhiteGoose DeadWhiteGoose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 446
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
44Mag = Defensive flash-bang grenade
Yes. Yes it is.
__________________
MagicPrepper.com YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:19 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.