Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 12-31-2012, 5:45 PM

Default Cleanup Hints

We just shot near Perris on BLM land and cleaned up with just a garbage can, some bags, and just our hands (we forgot to bring a rake).

Do you have any hints or tips for cleaning up more efficiently than with a rake and shovel?
Old 12-31-2012, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwanghoops View Post
We just shot near Perris on BLM land and cleaned up with just a garbage can, some bags, and just our hands (we forgot to bring a rake).

Do you have any hints or tips for cleaning up more efficiently than with a rake and shovel?
A rake and shovel is the best way I have found, you can also lay the garbage can on its side and find a scrap of cardboard to scoop the light stuff in. After the can gets half full it kinda does not work so well though.

Thanks for cleaning up! A group of us were there Saturday, left about an hour after it started raining.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Anyone try a gas powered vacuum on shooting debris like:

http://www.industrialairsolutions.co...er-vac-gas.htm

or

http://www.parish-supply.com/billy-g...ro-series.aspx
Old 01-03-2013, 6:20 AM

Prior to shooting, put down a large tarp to catch your shells. Saves searching in the dirt for your brass and trash and makes clean up easier/quicker. Can also sweep/rake other debris in the area onto the tarp and bundle it up to toss into your truck bed too.
Old 01-07-2013, 4:47 PM
CGSSA Associate

I think using a rake is one of the better methods. Something to consider is a large magnet on a rope if there is a lot of steel case in the are.

I also have some metal screen stapled to some 2x4's. Can rake into a pile then shovel onto screen. Saves from transporting dirt out of the area.
Old 01-07-2013, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

I had a couple old window screens in my shed for some reason and they work pretty well for sifting brass. You will have to pick the brass off and/or separate it from the rocks if you collect it for reloading. I tried a magnet but I got more random magnetic junk (Sorry I don't know what its called) from the dirt than I did steel cases. It was kind of a pain.
Old 01-23-2013, 2:40 AM

The junk is magnetite.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmat3 View Post
Prior to shooting, put down a large tarp to catch your shells. Saves searching in the dirt for your brass and trash and makes clean up easier/quicker. Can also sweep/rake other debris in the area onto the tarp and bundle it up to toss into your truck bed too.
Thanks for the tarp idea, it really helped out. It didn't catch everything, shoulda got a bigger tarp but made clean up alot easier. Just had the boys sweep the perimeter for any stray brass, throw it on the tarp, fold and funnel into trash bag.

tarp.jpg

Last edited by Silverfish; 01-26-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Old 01-27-2013, 1:50 PM

The Grandson and I went to Harbour Freight and they have those "hand held trash picker-uppers"...I don't know what they are really called but HF has them on sale for $1.69...you see the guys along the freeways picking up trash, etc with them. HOme Depot has them too but not as cheap. We sometimes take the 36" landscape rake...that "baby" really levels the area and cleans up quick.

We were there this morning {27th} and Steele Peake doesn't look bad...we were surprised but pleased....the last thing we shooters want is to tork Ranger Rick and the BLM staff off and shut this site down...

That "road" up the hill needs some TLC but its still good to go with care.
Old 01-27-2013, 3:54 PM
CGSSA Associate

dont underestimate the rake. Rake + snow shovel + a good back is sadly the lot we've selected in life
Old 03-21-2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
dont underestimate the rake. Rake + snow shovel + a good back is sadly the lot we've selected in life
I was thinking a plastic snow shovel with some holes drilled in to let the dirt fall thru.