Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2020, 6:54 AM

Default Transfer of guns from family member out of state

My Dad lives in North Carolina recently bought a Sig 320 its either that M17 or M18 variant. NO my sister is going through some stuff and has decided to move in with my Dad and his wife. He now wants to get rid of the gun because nephew will be living with them. He offered it to me but I pretty sure that this gun not on the CA approved list. Is it possible for him to transfer it to through a FFL?

I'm new to guns Thanks in advance,
Old 10-08-2020, 6:57 AM

Inter family transfer from father to son.
Old 10-08-2020, 7:04 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
Inter family transfer from father to son.
I think that's a CAL DOJ form for interstate CA transfer only. If it's off roster I don't believe the OP's dad can ship it to him since Dad is in North Carolina.

OP - don't take my word for it as somebody who knows this exactly will come along but i've used the CA interfamily transfer form 3x now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessdude View Post
Run up the jolly Roger and tell them this is war.

45 ACP Ammo - Sacramento
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...5#post24645505
Old 10-08-2020, 7:13 AM

California allows Non-FFL transfers among certain family members, all of whom live within California. Federal law has nothing similar - an intrafamily transfer between residents of different states must use a FFL in the state of residence of the person receiving the gun.
Old 10-08-2020, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Yes he can transfer it to you. No LCMs, no threaded barrel. See the stickey above for full details. And shop around for an FFL as their prices for the transfer are not regulated by law. Also ignore any FFL who tells you all you need to do is fill out the form and send it in, that violates 50+ year old federal law.
Old 10-08-2020, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

See the immediatle above two posts and the sticky on interstate intra-family transfers. You will need a firearm safety card. No LCM's or threaded barrels. The roster will not apply, but the weapon must be California legal.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.

Last edited by Chewy65; 10-08-2020 at 9:29 AM..
Old 10-08-2020, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Father to son transfer - legal no sales tax either
Gun not on roster - not a problem for inter family transfer
Threaded barrel (if it has one) Send it to Phil at https://www.alphacatoutdoorsupply.com/ and have him fix it before it enters CA. He can also fix the mags if they hold more than 10. If no threaded barrel and mags over 10 rounds have dad keep the mags and buy a new 10 rounder to take to FFL when gun arrives.
Ship to your CA FFL - federal requirement for all interstate transfers. Shop for an FFL who know CA family transfer process and won't gouge you on the fee to receive the gun from your dad.
Shipping - Your FFL may accept from a private party (his choice). If not your dad can take to FFL or gun shipping service to have it sent. This may be cheaper because of shipping rules and fees that favor FFL shipments.
Make sure your dad includes a letter that it is a gift to you from him your father (not step or father in law - or have mother send it to you or wife as needed). Have him send a copy of his drivers license and your contact info along with the gun. Don't include any ammo.
You should pay the DROS and FFL fee to receive the gun (generally $25-150 which is why it pays to shop FFLs).

Last edited by M1NM; 10-08-2020 at 9:57 AM..
Old 10-15-2020, 10:44 AM

Post your location and some one can direct you to a FFl who is familiar with the process.

My FFl who is very familiar and has done this for me for guns gifted to me by my out of state daughter is located in Manteca in the Central Valley.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:21 PM

Iím in SoCal if any one has any recommendations on an FFL to use
Old 10-17-2020, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpsoccer View Post
Iím in SoCal if any one has any recommendations on an FFL to use
SoCal kinda takes in everything south of Santa Barbara to Calexico. You might want to get closer to home for a worthwhile comment.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Interstate intrafamilial transfer thru ffl here. Father to son is fine roster does not apply must be ca compliant. Dave at shootsocal in orange county knows how to do the transfer,. Best price in socal.
Old 10-19-2020, 2:41 PM

Thanks for the help guys I ment LA/ Orange County Area
Old 10-19-2020, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Shootsocal is in orange county Dave is a good guy.