Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 06-06-2021, 4:40 PM

Default crossing over state lines from cali to oregon

I'm planning to take a road trip to go camping in oregon but I'd like to carry my pistol with me in my trunk for protection. Does anyone know the law of carrying a unloaded firearm across state lines?
Old 06-06-2021, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo717 View Post
I'm planning to take a road trip to go camping in oregon but I'd like to carry my pistol with me in my trunk for protection. Does anyone know the law of carrying a unloaded firearm across state lines?
It depends on the state.

There's 50 different answers (and 51 if you count the District of Columbia).
Old 06-06-2021, 5:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Oregon is an open cary state. Looks like loaded in the passenger compartment is legal;

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...p/or-gun-laws/

CARRY IN VEHICLE?
Can you carry a concealed handgun in a vehicle in Oregon?

Yes, with an OR CHL. Without a license, a loaded handgun must not be concealed and readily accessible. A handgun is considered readily accessible if it is in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. For vehicles with no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is considered not readily accessible if it is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container.

However, local governments can set their own laws on public places, which includes vehicles.

[Or. Rev. Stat. ยง 166.250(1)(b), (4)(b) and 166.260(1)(i)]

NRA life member since 1997
CRPA member
Old 06-08-2021, 9:31 AM

I have always assumed that California legal, unloaded, locked in the trunk (although I drive a pickup) would be legal in all 50 states and that is the way I have traveled. Was I wrong ? How else would you travel around this beautiful country if it can't be unloaded locked in the trunk ?

Now that I drive a pickup, I understand I am in a grey area since its in the cab with me. I have a extended cab so a back seat and gun is locked in a CA. Approved steel gun box bolted to my truck. I can't reach it from the drivers seat and magazine is in a attached box. Magazine is loaded but not in gun.

I understand I can have the gun in the car loaded in some states but in the trunk should be legal everywhere, no ?

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 06-08-2021, 5:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There are a few resources I use when traveling. As RickD427 said 50 states plus DC will have 51 different rules.

This one is one of my favorites; https://handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry-1.pdf

On my phone I use CCW Concealed Carry 50 states and Legal Heat apps. Both are updated often. The CCW app comes with a free 2 year subscription then it's 99 cents per year.

Good luck!

NRA life member since 1997
CRPA member