Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 12-15-2018, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Any Military Wives in here? off roster question

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. And am still trying to navigate CA gun laws.
Just wondering if there are any other Military wives out here, and if any of you have come across a similar issue.

I keep running into convoluted situations because of how the CA gun laws are worded.

I have a similar question in the "CA laws affect me" threads, but I figured I can try asking other ladies who may have had this come up in their lives.

In this instance, my husband is permanently stationed in VA. We decided not to relocate because he is mostly gone on his ship and family support is here.
But, with that, his residence is where his permanent station is - VA and not here CA.
Inter-familial does not state 'spouse' in the law, so how does that work?

Well, he bought a few off-roster handguns. He would like to store them at home here (CA) when he is on his long deployment. He will not be bringing the magazines (the law was clear on high capacity).

So, that leads me to these questions:
1. Can I, as his wife, borrow them occasionally (and yes he gave permission to do so) and take them to the range lawfully?
*note: if i need to shoot a baddie breaking into the house, I will use one under my name, so this is more for fun at the range only.

2. Can he just give them to me and I will return them when he gets back (this seems to be the easiest way to deal with it) https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#6
But does this apply if he is not technically a CA resident. His DL still says CA though and we do our income tax jointly here in CA as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 6:09 PM

Welcome to the Women's Forum, Urduja. We're glad to have you here, truly. And anything that has to do with women and guns is not OT here in the Women's Forum. We do have special rules for the WF, you can read them at the top of the forum.

I am not an authority, but I believe, since California is a community property state, that you are equally the owner of guns in your husband's possession. I don't think being military or non-military has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong. You would have to ship them in thru a licenses firearm dealer, I think.

HOWEVER, the best thing you can do is to PM "Librarian" here on Calguns. He's one of the moderators and has been able to answer any question I've ever had, in language that I could understand.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 12-18-2018 at 6:12 PM..
Old 12-19-2018, 3:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hi. thank you for the welcome.
So, far this has been a great place. I posted this similar question in the "How CA laws affect me" area. I got quite a bit of answers. Some were counter to others, but I think we will be fine. I spoke to a couple of FFL's and they said they would be able to help us. So, anyone else in my particular situation, apparently it can be done.