Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 2:06 PM

Default Ccw denial - not eligible

Explain this to me please. IA is sacramento sheriff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2021, 2:08 PM

Explain what exactly? You posted nothing.
Old 06-10-2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Explain what exactly? You posted nothing.
Denial reason was not eligible.

Old 06-10-2021, 2:22 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgettableDD View Post
Denial reason was not eligible.

Any arrests/legal problems in your past?
Old 06-10-2021, 2:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
Any arrests/legal problems in your past?
Not actually a resident of Sac County?
Old 06-10-2021, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Home address is sacramento ca so I'm thinking in in sac County.

Old 06-10-2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Past r.o on son father. Police called to de escalate a problem. Family i live with tried to grow. I've had my license to grow but I didnt smoke then or now.

Old 06-10-2021, 2:34 PM

Could be a bunch of stuff, without more detail, we would be pissing in the wind..

Age, Criminal History, Citizenship Status, Orders of protection, Mental Adjudication, Weed use...a crap ton of potential reasons.
Old 06-10-2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieppe42 View Post
Could be a bunch of stuff, without more detail, we would be pissing in the wind..

Age, Criminal History, Citizenship Status, Orders of protection, Mental Adjudication, Weed use...a crap ton of potential reasons.
28 no criminal history. Us citizen. Have mild depression. Been in a rehab before I turned 18. When my grandfather past I took it pretty hard and loved alcohol for a year or so. I no long drink or smoke.

Old 06-10-2021, 2:59 PM

Wait, so you had a Marijuana card and told them you didn't smoke but just were just growing the plants?

I think that might be an issue...

Old 06-10-2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ca View Post
Wait, so you had a Marijuana card and told them you didn't smoke but just were just growing the plants?

I think that might be an issue...

I got the card to grow to see how it would help with depression and eating. Back then I was only 96 lbs. But I didnt grow and didn't smoke because issues with family came up. Never renewed.

Old 06-11-2021, 1:24 PM

Quote:
I got the card to grow to see how it would help with depression and eating. Back then I was only 96 lbs. But I didnt grow and didn't smoke because issues with family came up. Never renewed.

So you had a grower's card AND you admitted to use of illegal narcotics because you're subject to bouts of depression?

Yeah, no wonder they told you that you weren't eligible. Plus, at this point I'm wondering why you haven't posted that they also confiscated your guns.

Somebody's gotta be the mole so it might as well be me. Seems to be working so far.

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

My Utubery
Old 06-10-2021, 3:08 PM
Banned

One of the first denial stories I completely agree with. Isn’t pot all about peace and love man. Just roll a joint for anyone who gives you trouble.
Old 06-10-2021, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundiver View Post
One of the first denial stories I completely agree with. Isn’t pot all about peace and love man. Just roll a joint for anyone who gives you trouble.
I can roll a blunt but I don't smoke. Lol when I use to smoke before 18 It gave me a paranoid high. Didn't like it so I stopped.

Old 06-10-2021, 3:10 PM
Veteran Member

I think the post in and of itself pretty much explains the reason for denial.
Old 06-10-2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingransom View Post
I think the post in and of itself pretty much explains the reason for denial.
People pull out they guns for less but I can't have one to protect myself and my 3 little ones? Because of bs thats not relevant to my life now. Mistakes are what makes us who we are. Whether you grow from them is another story. My oldest turned 10 last month and my youngest turned 3 yesterday. When you see a short chubby Asian lady with 3 little ducks it might be me.

Old 06-10-2021, 3:33 PM

it doesn't really matter what anyone here thinks about MJ. The fact remains it is federally illegal, and it would not surprise us if the IA used anything related to MJ as disqualifying. Depending on the details MJ stuff might make you disqualified from even buying/owning a firearm. IA won't issue a permit to carry an illegally owned firearm. You asked for a reason, and from the few details you provided, this seems the most likely reason.
Old 06-10-2021, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
it doesn't really matter what anyone here thinks about MJ. The fact remains it is federally illegal, and it would not surprise us if the IA used anything related to MJ as disqualifying. Depending on the details MJ stuff might make you disqualified from even buying/owning a firearm. IA won't issue a permit to carry an illegally owned firearm. You asked for a reason, and from the few details you provided, this seems the most likely reason.
Illegally owned? Thank you. Maybe it is the reason for denial. I just wish they were more clear about the reason.

Old 06-10-2021, 3:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Illegally owned? Thank you. Maybe it is the reason for denial. I just wish they were more clear about the reason.

Wait. Did you just admit something?
Old 06-10-2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
Wait. Did you just admit something?
Admit what?

Old 06-10-2021, 3:41 PM

Thank you everyone I really value your inputs. Have a great and blessed day. Stay safe out there folks!

Old 06-10-2021, 3:48 PM
RSG Minion, Senior

I was interpreting “illegally owned” as having been purchased by lying on the 4473.

But if the gun is not registered in OP’s name that certainly could cause a problem.
Old 06-10-2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
I was interpreting “illegally owned” as having been purchased by lying on the 4473.

But if the gun is not registered in OP’s name that certainly could cause a problem.
My guns aren't illegally owned. I figured from how the interview went i would be denied I just wanted a more clearer reason than just not eligible.

Old 06-10-2021, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

WTB: , TLR-7A or 8A, Smith K22, Colt Officer's Model Revolver in 22LR, , Manurhin MR73, Lever gun in 44 Mag, ZKR 551, and CZ 453 22LR

Lifetime Member NRA
Member CRPA
Old 06-10-2021, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

You were denied a concealed weapons license, not the right to own a firearm. Just because I believe wholeheartedly that everybody that's a law abiding citizen should own a firearm, that doesn't mean I think that most of them should be running around the street with one because they have a license. Just your level of emotion on here regarding this shows me you would probably escalate rather than deescalate a situation that could potentially turn into something much bigger
Old 06-10-2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
You were denied a concealed weapons license, not the right to own a firearm. Just because I believe wholeheartedly that everybody that's a law abiding citizen should own a firearm, that doesn't mean I think that most of them should be running around the street with one because they have a license. Just your level of emotion on here regarding this shows me you would probably escalate rather than deescalate a situation that could potentially turn into something much bigger
You have a right to your option of me.

Old 06-12-2021, 7:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You could apply the same logic to owning a firearm, otherwise you are advocating psychological tests for CCW. Slippery slope, that is how the CA roster ended up where it is now.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Just because I believe wholeheartedly that everybody that's a law abiding citizen should own a firearm, that doesn't mean I think that most of them should be running around the street with one because they have a license.
- Ok Gavin Newsom. Glad you feel it's your right or duty to decide who is allowed to exercise their 2a. What a joke. I'm alerting Fuddbusters. Sounds like you come from the (would prefer to disarm the populous so you can control them crowd). Yeah I think I everyone should own guns so I can pretend to be a 2a supporter, as long as I control how and when they exercise it.

To the OP - I think if you were/are growing drugs and had a permit to do so thats pretty clearly the reason. If you have been involved with the police in anyway I'm pretty sure that hurts your chances tremendously from what I have read.

Last edited by Casoobaru; 06-12-2021 at 11:48 AM..
Old 06-10-2021, 4:12 PM

‘Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?’

Doesn't sound like "did you smoke pot years ago as a minor?" or "Did you get a permit a long time ago to use medical marijuna, which is long expired?" to me.

Doesn't mean the firearm is "illegally owned".

Still may certainly be grounds for denying a CCW permit.
Old 06-10-2021, 5:12 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalt View Post
‘Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?’

Doesn't sound like "did you smoke pot years ago as a minor?" or "Did you get a permit a long time ago to use medical marijuna, which is long expired?" to me.

Doesn't mean the firearm is "illegally owned".

Still may certainly be grounds for denying a CCW permit.
Reminder that Federal Courts have clarified the issue in that simply possessing a medical marijuana card makes that person a prohibited person that can not legally own/possess any firearm or ammunition.

It even applies to a person who never used marijuana, but obtained a medical marijuana card for other reasons.

Because of the Federal prohibitions regarding firearms/ammunition and marijuana, a person can be denied a State CCW permit for not being eligible to obtain the CCW permit due to not being able to legally own/possess firearms/ammunition.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 06-10-2021 at 5:14 PM..
Old 06-11-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Reminder that Federal Courts have clarified the issue in that simply possessing a medical marijuana card makes that person a prohibited person that can not legally own/possess any firearm or ammunition.

It even applies to a person who never used marijuana, but obtained a medical marijuana card for other reasons.

Because of the Federal prohibitions regarding firearms/ammunition and marijuana, a person can be denied a State CCW permit for not being eligible to obtain the CCW permit due to not being able to legally own/possess firearms/ammunition.
That case, IIRC, revolved around someone who currently held one at the time of filing. Not someone who had held one at some point the past.

California is still a "May Issue" state primarily at the whim of the sheriff. OP may absolutely have been denied based on having a card in the past.

But that doesn't make their current ownership of a firearm illegal or mean they lied on background check.
Old 06-12-2021, 3:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone who uses MJ regularly should never be issued a CCW. You made the choice to do so and now you must accept the consequences of that choice. Carry pepper spray!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 06-12-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Anyone who uses MJ regularly should never be issued a CCW. You made the choice to do so and now you must accept the consequences of that choice. Carry pepper spray!
Would/should that also apply to anyone who ever uses any alcoholic beverage?
Old 06-12-2021, 1:53 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastinline View Post
Would/should that also apply to anyone who ever uses any alcoholic beverage?
On State level...

Under CA's may issue CCW system, being a habitual alcoholic can get you denied due to not being a person of good moral character.

Under NV's shall issue CCW system, being a habitual alcoholic can get you denied and/or having your permit revoked.
^NV determines this if you have been arrested for any alcohol related crime within 5 years or have gone into rehab within 5 years or if someone reports you as a habitual alcoholic within 5 years.

On Federal level...

Difference between the two is how Federal laws treats them.

One is a Schedule 1 controlled substance and the other is not.

Until, the Federal laws change on how one of them is treated, they are not the same.

It's interesting to note that anti-gun proponents are pro-legalization on the State level, but anti-legalization on the Federal level. This is done on purpose, because it causes those who use it legally on a State level to be considered a prohibited person on the Federal level and Federal enforcement can then be utilized to legally confiscate firearms/ammunition from those persons.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 06-12-2021 at 2:02 PM..
Old 06-12-2021, 5:05 AM

She keeps saying she doesnt smoke anymore. Maybe your good cause wasnt good enough for them.
Old 06-12-2021, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefkr View Post
She keeps saying she doesnt smoke anymore. Maybe your good cause wasnt good enough for them.
It's not about good cause, it's about "eligibility."

MJ card = not eligible.
Admission of illegal drug use = not eligible.
Treatment for depression = serious red flag.

Interesting conundrum, under "shall issue" would this thread even exist?

Somebody's gotta be the mole so it might as well be me. Seems to be working so far.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

My Utubery
Old 06-12-2021, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
It's not about good cause, it's about "eligibility."

MJ card = not eligible.
Admission of illegal drug use = not eligible.
Treatment for depression = serious red flag.

Interesting conundrum, under "shall issue" would this thread even exist?
OP was crystal clear that said MJ card was expired.

There is no case law or ruling that past use is disqualifying. Multiple people seem to be struggling with this.

The question is not "Are you now or have you ever been".
Old 06-13-2021, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalt View Post
OP was crystal clear that said MJ card was expired.

There is no case law or ruling that past use is disqualifying. Multiple people seem to be struggling with this.

The question is not "Are you now or have you ever been".
This is not the question.

"May issue" is the question and the Sheriff has decided that the OP isn't eligible for the stated reasons.

I support the Sheriff's reasoning and reasons because the OP shows a lack of judgement in regard to the things mentioned. It is that lack of judgement that causes the Sheriff to determine that the OP isn't eligible, not any ongoing use of MJ or having a currently valid MJ growers card.

My Utubery
Old 06-14-2021, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
This is not the question.

"May issue" is the question and the Sheriff has decided that the OP isn't eligible for the stated reasons.

I support the Sheriff's reasoning and reasons because the OP shows a lack of judgement in regard to the things mentioned. It is that lack of judgement that causes the Sheriff to determine that the OP isn't eligible, not any ongoing use of MJ or having a currently valid MJ growers card.
I dont use mj or have a valid mj card. My sole purpose was to protect myself and my 3 kids. People in life makes mistakes and everyone has something going on in their lives. So if anything happens to me or my kids remember you and the sac sheriff denied my legal right to defend myself in and attack.

Old 06-12-2021, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Big Jake
Anyone who uses MJ regularly should never be issued a CCW.

I'm curious on your opinion and thoughts about people who regularly drink. Do you feel the same way about them that you do about people who smoke marijuana?
Closed Thread