Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-08-2019, 3:18 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
I might suggest you shoot Amateur Civilian also as there are some special awards in there and it gives you another shot at a random prize. If you are feeling really froggy you can do Major Sub also!
MajorSub and Pocket GLOCK is where you separate the Men from the Boys...
Old 11-08-2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
I refuse to be shamed, I know my limits
Old 11-08-2019, 10:03 PM

Can't make it this time around as I will be at a bachelor party for the weekend. Enjoy the competition, have fun and be safe everyone!
Old 11-09-2019, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk518 View Post
I refuse to be shamed, I know my limits
LOL, there's no shaming here...

The level of excellence achieved when one knocks down six plates with seven shots is a zen that everyone should experience. Although, the horror felt just before the timer of string one, or the feeling of slide lock with six plates still standing is probably something most of us could live without.
Old 11-09-2019, 2:53 PM

Do we get feed for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Old 11-09-2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
Do we get feed for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Lunch Sat and Sun and it's very good.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Home stretch! I only have 10 more mags to load and I will be all set for the weekend!
Old 11-12-2019, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Home stretch! I only have 10 more mags to load and I will be all set for the weekend!
Woohoo! Gettin the band back together
Old 11-13-2019, 9:38 PM

Hello,

I got the email from GSSF announcing the match, with registration, and shooting begining at 8:00 am. Registration closing at 2:00 pm on both Saturday and Sunday.

Not the usual 9am to 3pm.

Can someone confirm that this is correct.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2019, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g19222721 View Post
Hello,

I got the email from GSSF announcing the match, with registration, and shooting begining at 8:00 am. Registration closing at 2:00 pm on both Saturday and Sunday.

Not the usual 9am to 3pm.

Can someone confirm that this is correct.

Thanks.
As long as the stages are set up, volunteers are ready, and you have your stickers youll be good to go. The change of hours is due to the time change and it getting dark sooner.
Old 11-15-2019, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

See y'all on the mtn tomorrow bright and early!!!
Old 11-17-2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Im in for Team Scott V!!!!!
Sling bag Steve

Gowara Gear Tactical Sling Bag Pack Military Rover Shoulder Sling Backpack EDC Molle Assault Range Bags Day Pack with USA Flag Patch Tan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PBS1YK..._.5E0DbK6Y8HM6
Old 11-17-2019, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfalcon217 View Post
Sling bag Steve

Gowara Gear Tactical Sling Bag Pack Military Rover Shoulder Sling Backpack EDC Molle Assault Range Bags Day Pack with USA Flag Patch Tan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PBS1YK..._.5E0DbK6Y8HM6
Thanks D.

Chad and jacob,

What more can be said about the tireless effort y'all throw into this event each and every time getting better and better. I appreciate those efforts and enjoybthe fruit of those labors both shooting the match and volunteering.

Scott is incredible to work with keeping our bays running safe and smooth.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:43 PM

Prelims are posted. Thanks for the awesome speedy work Patti & Austin!

http://www.gssfonline.com/results/2019/2019bca.pdf

Nice shooting Steve! Missed it by >< much! .01. Congrats to Sean Hensley on the provisional Civilan win.
Old 11-18-2019, 6:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nice shooting Steve! Missed it by >< much! .01.

Ugghhh, so close, stuff to work on. Accuracy paid, just needed to work on my plate times.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Missed it by >< much! .01.
Geeeze that's close

Currently checking rooms in the area for Littlefield, AZ Jan 25-26
Old 11-18-2019, 11:16 PM

It looks like we ran 469 entries over the 3 days with very few delays. We had all 3 lanes on Glock M running for a couple of hours but most of the 2 days we only needed 2. It was a nice steady flow both days. Looking at the results it looks like there were at least 10 regulars that would have boosted the count over 500. Maybe next year?

For myself, I would like to say thanks the Glock M team most of which I have had the distinct pleasure of working with since the first match at Burro. Steve, Alan, Darrell, Albert, Shelton, Dave and relative newcomers Jim, Stephanie & Josh make this stage run like a Swiss watch! And we missed you too Jared!

I would also like to give kudos to all 97 of the volunteer Range Officers that donated their time over the 3 days. Chad has assembled a first class match team that truly know the job. Add Jacob to the list as well for sorting out all the logistics and getting us some top notch food. And tanks to Austin & Patti from GSSF for all they do too. After 37 matches as a competitor and working about 15 of them I still love the heck out of this series.

Scott
Old 11-19-2019, 1:08 PM

Quote:
I will say, I think MajorSub is "overrated" in that regard.

The G30SF is a MAJOR SLEEPER PISTOL. The sight radius is LONGER than a commander size 1911, or only just a little shorter than a full size 1911. I say its a stretch to call a G30 SUB anything. The top of the gun is just about DUTY size. If you can get over the loss of your pinky on the grip it is very easy to shoot.

I suppose it's not a popular pistol, and it shows in the attendance of MajorSub, with it being hard to even get 10 competitors for pistol prizes. However, when I got mine, and shot it for the first time I was kicking myself for not starting GSSF with it.
Old 11-19-2019, 2:00 PM

Keith Carter is not marked as a Master.

He made master last March.

This matters because it will make Sub Compact TEN master participants, which will give James Maxwell a pistol win.
Old 11-19-2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post

The G30SF is a MAJOR SLEEPER PISTOL. The sight radius is LONGER than a commander size 1911, or only just a little shorter than a full size 1911. I say its a stretch to call a G30 SUB anything. The top of the gun is just about DUTY size. If you can get over the loss of your pinky on the grip it is very easy to shoot.

I suppose it's not a popular pistol, and it shows in the attendance of MajorSub, with it being hard to even get 10 competitors for pistol prizes. However, when I got mine, and shot it for the first time I was kicking myself for not starting GSSF with it.
7 rounds for 6 plates is quite the challenge. But we will welcome you to the pool when you make Master!
Old 11-19-2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:

The G30 / G36 / G29 are the smallest big caliber (.45 / 10mm) guns that GLOCK makes hence the name Subcompact. You are right in that the overall profile of them are about the size of a G19 / 23 / 32, and not the smaller 26 / 27 / 33.

The pinky issue is easily resolved by using the 10rd magazines, and a real gammer would be shooting the G29 loaded soft.

I'll make you a deal though, you come shoot MajorSub at the next match I shoot at (probably Littlefield in January), and if you beat me, I'll cover your entry fee.

Quote:
7 rounds for 6 plates is quite the challenge. But we will welcome you to the pool when you make Master!
I think it's magazine capacity that really discourages the other shooters. It also doesn't help that most Masters win their three guns and they're never seen from again.
Old 11-19-2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
My plate times at matches have been in the 15s, and since my first match ever, I've never left a plate standing. Usually I'm pretty good if I miss one, and have to follow it up I just give up and take my time. A 10 second miss is death. Better an 18 than a 28.

I have NO idea where I'm going to get 5 more seconds though to get into the 10's, and then insanely 2 more after that for some monsters that get into the 8's occasionally.
Old 11-19-2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:

The pinky issue is easily resolved by using the 10rd magazines, and a real gammer would be shooting the G29 loaded soft.

I'll make you a deal though, you come shoot MajorSub at the next match I shoot at (probably Littlefield in January), and if you beat me, I'll cover your entry fee.

I think it's magazine capacity that really discourages the other shooters. It also doesn't help that most Masters win their three guns and they're never seen from again.
1) So I kind of play the game with the magazine length. I've only bought additional G21 magazines, not the shorter ones. So my 30 and 21 share the same magazines. I don't know how much you can down load a 10mm and still have it work with the stock recoil spring. I personally down load 45ACP, and I can just take the edge off it. It wont work in OEM configuration anywhere NEAR my puff loads for a 1911/11lb spring.

10mm is just another caliber to load, and magazines to deal with. Then the brass is harder to come by in the range bin, and what I leave behind at GSSF matches takes it toll as it is. At least 9mm and 45ACP is easy enough to find on the ground.

2) Littlefield is kind of rough. That's 600+ miles. I am frustrated this year though. 1 pistol away from master, and missed Richmond, Reno canceled, and missed Burro Canyon. Maybe I can make the argument to the Misses. But I have kind of given up, and plan to go to more local IPSC, and Steel Challenge matches within an hour of me. If I can get to a GSSF then great.

Yolo, CA is realistically my next match. It will potentially be my only chance to shoot EIGHT divisions. I'm being arrogant and presuming I win my 3rd pistol, and then going forward could only do 7 matches. Honestly, I would love to get eight 2nd places every time and never win again

3) It is disappointing many masters never show up after 3 wins. It's not nearly as competitive as IPSC, and the pay out is WAY BETTER even if you are so-so. If you planned your Amateur pistol wins right you can shoot every match (except the Pocket Glock you would be forced to PPT here in CA) without having to buy additional Glocks.

That said, I would like to win a NON GUARDIAN Amateur Division. I am fully aware that I've benefited from LEO/Military not actually being as competitive as Civilians.

Even though at Burro Canyon a Guardian beat out the Civilian this time, if you look at everything past 3rd place the Guardian times are pretty far off. 5th Guardian was only good for 21st Civilian. That's who I've won two guns against.

So there's a pretty good chance my next attendance will be my last Guardian win, and then 7 divisions bump to Master.
Old 11-19-2019, 5:10 PM

Thank you to everyone that helped put this shoot together and volunteered. I had a great time. Love the friendships, food and meeting all the shooters. Kind of sad we're only going to do this once a year now...

Chad burning the plates...

Get involved, let's fix these 2nd Amendment misunderstandings.

It's not the size of your gun that counts, only the fun factor...
Old 11-19-2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
My plate times at matches have been in the 15s, and since my first match ever, I've never left a plate standing. Usually I'm pretty good if I miss one, and have to follow it up I just give up and take my time. A 10 second miss is death. Better an 18 than a 28.

I have NO idea where I'm going to get 5 more seconds though to get into the 10's, and then insanely 2 more after that for some monsters that get into the 8's occasionally.
Have you shot Major Sub yet?
Old 11-19-2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabliss View Post

Chad burning the plates...
Ugh, that was a horrible run. You can see me pause, and watch the plates fall.

Robbie got this one which was a 2.52 in Master Stock with a G22.

Quote:

Yolo, CA is realistically my next match. It will potentially be my only chance to shoot EIGHT divisions. I'm being arrogant and presuming I win my 3rd pistol, and then going forward could only do 7 matches. Honestly, I would love to get eight 2nd places every time and never win again
I haven't been able to make Yolo, CA in a couple of years, but it's a fantastic range. I'll try in 2020, and if I do, my offer still stands.

Last edited by RoundEye; 11-19-2019 at 6:19 PM..
Old 11-19-2019, 8:52 PM

Glad I heard about this match. Was my first time ever going against a clock and was thoroughly impressed by the tips and techniques that all the ROs provided Now I know what I need to work on at the indoor. This event ran really smooth. I expected to wait a long time (on Sunday) to shoot but it I would walk up and shoot. Had a great time meeting new people and learned a lot about my shooting. Thanks to everyone who put this on I will be back again for sure and looking forward to the next shoot.
Old 11-19-2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Have you shot Major Sub yet?
Only in practice at my local range so far. Had I not missed any matches I would have used it in a match three times by now.

I'll be using a G30SF, and I think it shoots really nice. I'm just not intimidated by it.

I know....... easier said than done.

Now, the G43 is a LITTLE MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!! While I'm still using tame reloads (which run my stock G17) it kicks like a mother. THAT'S what I'm worried about, not the G30.
Old 11-19-2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:

I haven't been able to make Yolo, CA in a couple of years, but it's a fantastic range. I'll try in 2020, and if I do, my offer still stands.
Yea, I'm horrible at waiting to hear the plate hit before I pull the trigger again.

Yolo is deceptively short. You do know that's a legitimately fair offer. Between PM720, you and me it's a 50/50 toss up when we've crossed paths. But I've only been up against you guys with a G17.

Going forward I plan to shoot all Divisions (with G17, G30, G21, G43). I've been sitting on enough ammo since July
Old 11-19-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Robbie got this one which was a 2.52 in Master Stock with a G22.

I think your start position was a little high! NICE FRIGGIN RUN Chad!!
Old 11-20-2019, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Yolo is deceptively short. You do know that's a legitimately fair offer. Between PM720, you and me it's a 50/50 toss up when we've crossed paths. But I've only been up against you guys with a G17.

Going forward I plan to shoot all Divisions (with G17, G30, G21, G43). I've been sitting on enough ammo since July
While it's true that Yolo,CA does have some smaller ranges, I do think that 52GLOCK still goes out to 20yds which is what we've been doing in Azusa the past few years (when you go out to 25yds, the match just doesn't flow as well from the officiant perspective).

I wouldn't say it's "fair", but certainly "reasonable". I've shot MajorSub well over 30 times, and have won money, and guns as both an Amateur and a Master. I honestly wouldn't have made the offer, if I thought I was going to lose. But, you've got nothing to lose, and $30 to gain. So, BRING IT!

Oddly enough, the best I have ever shot MajorSub was in Yolo with a 41.61, and was beat by John Begakis who pulled off a 38.XX or 39.XX. Another reason why people don't shoot MajorSub is that it doesn't count towards MM (at least that is the case for most Masters, and would be for me to if I was limited to which divisions I could shoot).

Quote:
I think your start position was a little high! NICE FRIGGIN RUN Chad!!
Well, I need to make sure I clear the suitcase, and I was pointed at the pin after all. You might want to get yourself a new protractor.

Last edited by RoundEye; 11-20-2019 at 8:32 AM..
Old 11-20-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Well, I need to make sure I clear the suitcase, and I was pointed at the pin after all. You might want to get yourself a new protractor.
I would say that's pretty high too, but per the rule, there really is not set standard. It's pretty much up to the local match director and RO's.

Rule 130.6

*****Point at a mark 8-10 feet from the shooting position.*******

BUT I didn't see a mark on the ground, so I too think I'll remember to position my case in the line of fire, or set little back from the table so it will force a higher arm position to clear the table.
Old 11-20-2019, 1:07 PM

Um, I was kidding!
Old 11-20-2019, 1:17 PM

Quote:
I think your start position was a little high!
Quote:
Well, I need to make sure I clear the suitcase
I thought the same thing when I ran Chad on the M but in my head I was thinkin, if only that suitcase wasn't there
Old 11-20-2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfalcon217 View Post
I thought the same thing when I ran Chad on the M but in my head I was thinkin, if only that suitcase wasn't there

Dave, You really need to change your ScreenName from dfalcon217 to BlueFalcon217. As for the suitcase, you guys are all giving up my best moves!
Old 11-20-2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:

Dave, You really need to change your ScreenName from dfalcon217 to BlueFalcon217.

As for the suitcase, you guys are all giving up my best moves!
Don't think I haven't thunk about Blue Falcon for a Halloween getup.

You may see me at Littlefield with a ginormous suitcase. Never your mind what's in it but I see the advantage and I need all the help I can get
Old 11-20-2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Another reason why people don't shoot MajorSub is that it doesn't count towards MM (at least that is the case for most Masters, and would be for me to if I was limited to which divisions I could shoot).
I can't disagree with that. It's clear in the numbers folks are not shooting as much as they could.

I just don't understand it. The matches are few and far between, so why not shoot as many as you can. Worst case, each additional entry is another lottery ticket for a pistol, random cash, or random membership.

Especially Masters, because if you are in the running for MM, then chances are your odds are even BETTER for a pistol win in pretty much every single Division you enter. There's only a few guys really in the running for MM anyway.

You just can't KNOW which Division you are going to do best in. So you need to shoot as many as you can. You also don't know which divisions where your competition is going to TANK and you need to be there in the running when they do.

A goal of mine is to shoot every single division within 3 seconds of each other (barring Major Sub, and Pocket).

Question: Am I the ONLY one that at the end of the day takes my score sheets, and puts them together by BEST STAGES to create a hypothetical BEST POSSIBLE SCORE? And then on top of that, take my best run time within each stage and then multiply it out, and then bang my head against a wall that I could have theoretically been 10+ seconds faster.

TEN SECONDS FASTER without actually being any "better", just all in the head.
Old 11-20-2019, 8:33 PM
retired Goon

Just popping in to say I enjoyed volunteering Saturday and Sunday.
I am willing volunteer again.

One of these days I need to compete.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
bang my head against a wall that I could have theoretically been 10+ seconds faster.

TEN SECONDS FASTER without actually being any "better", just all in the head.

Tell me about it........