Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 4:47 PM

Default Utah/Arizona CCW Requirements

I have some drug charges, misdemeanors, from 4 years ago, in CA. I hear Arizona won’t care and will give you the CCW. Utah, I’ve heard mixed things. This is the only thing that could or would get me denied. In the Utah application they ask if you have ever been convicted of a drug charge. This is the only question that is out of order. I don’t have any other issues, none of the DV or restraining orders or any of that it’s just the drug misdemeanor. I have my, In person CCW certification and the instructor was centered around Utah. He said it’s not in the manual we were using he hasn’t ever learned about a misdemeanor drug charge to make someone ineligible. I have my FFL-03 and multiple firearms registered to my name. I don’t know why but he made it seem like that would be helpful.

Is this not a deal breaker? I’ve heard 7 years separated from a drug conviction will make you eligible, is there a wait period? Is it case by case and you just don’t know?

I also was told that if your denied and you appeal that it’s final. Are you able to reapply sometime down the road?
Old 02-18-2020, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

IMO, UT seems to be more conservative and not as lax as AZ or FL. I would try AZ first before going with UT.

iTrader
Old 02-18-2020, 5:44 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I had drug charges many years ago, like close to 30... but I didn't want a denial so I called the CCW dept in Utah and asked them because I wasn't going to lie on the application of course. The very nice and helpful woman told me their threshold is 5 years from the last drug or alcohol conviction, so take it for what it's worth.

Your AZ permit is good in UT, so unless you really need WA then I would tread lightly and wait for the 5 year mark on Utah and just apply for AZ if they'll accept charges that recent.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:04 PM

Thank you guys this has been really helpful