Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-13-2021, 9:30 AM

My student who dropped off his app at Hall of Justice on 4/9, had his interview today 5/13 in Whittier, and wanted to share his experience:

Interviewing officer was very friendly and professional. He was expecting to be questioned in a skeptical way, why he needed a CCW, but it was just 20min of yes and no questions to what was on his app.

The officer focused on his profession as a musician and his valuable instruments, rather than transporting firearms to/from range trips. Told him to provide crime maps/stats, and list of his musical instruments/value, and to proceed with livescan.

I would say then that my student's GC is light yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymenton View Post
He said he just got the call this past week.
Old 05-13-2021, 9:33 AM

Quote:
My student who dropped off his app at Hall of Justice on 4/9, had his interview today 5/13 in Whittier, and wanted to share his experience:

Interviewing officer was very friendly and professional. He was expecting to be questioned in a skeptical way, why he needed a CCW, but it was just 20min of yes and no questions to what was on his app.

The officer focused on his profession as a musician and his valuable instruments, rather than transporting firearms to/from range trips. Told him to provide crime maps/stats, and list of his musical instruments/value, and to proceed with livescan.

Finally looks like people that submitted last month are getting interviews and calls, interesting as many on here that submitted prior to 4/9 have yet to receive a call. Do you know when his check was cashed?
Old 05-13-2021, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Okay, but I still think that you should try to go with the options easiest to document. And, the more people you get trying to use those things as good cause will make it harder for AV to ignore them. Especially when you have this listed as a LG GC:
Sure, but I agree with Paladin. If one has light red or yellow, that’s has a higher success rate than light green. One can list both but the deputy may have you go with a stronger GC. See the recent post below. Applicant listed two types of GC but went with Yellow instead of recreational as that’d be harder to deny, per se, than just if he had range trips only.

Light green is still being tested at the moment.

Quote:

Old 05-13-2021, 10:10 AM

4/20 - Mailed application
4/21 - Application received
5/5 - Check cashed

Now waiting for the call
Old 05-13-2021, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
First off we’re still confirming they accept LG GCs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post

Light green is still being tested at the moment.
See, this is one of the most confusing part of this. I don't understand why the map was changed to light green if there's no proof that this is the case.

Except for:

Quote:

Quote:
That's good. I don't read this thread all the time (San Bernardino Co), has LA gone light green?
Based on a few anecdotal posts, yes.

More need to apply to ensure it stays light green (or may be moved back to yellow).
So, this has me even more confused because that's what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

ĒBenitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacityĒ
Old 05-13-2021, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
See, this is one of the most confusing part of this. I don't understand why the map was changed to light green if there's no proof that this is the case.

Except for:

So, this has me even more confused because that's what I'm saying.
Correct. But if one has a stronger GC (qualify under yellow/red), use that. They were calling back people who were previously denied under LR and Yellow.

For those that don’t, they’ll apply with Light Green GC as some have here using remote shooting locations, competitions, hiking, etc. Based on what Paladin has reported, there are applicants who were issued with LG. Those with LG are still encouraged to apply and as you’ve seen, LASD is swamped at the moment.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Seems like people who dropped off the app at the Hall of Justice is getting their interviews faster than people who mailed the apps.

My buddy's app arrived at the hall of justice on 04/09/21 and he has not heard from anyone.
Old 05-13-2021, 1:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The bolded is false. If you read this thread from New Years forward you will discover your mistakes. Iím not going to take my time to go through it for you. As best I can remember about a half dozen CGNers told me of people they knew getting approved using LG. Rather than being trapped in a ďchicken or eggĒ conundrum we changed map to LG to get people to apply to verify. A few weeks ago I was contacted by two CGNers who said their LG GCs were approved (i.e., they were told to get training). Since then more than a half dozen more CGNers have said theyíve applied using LG GC. That should be final confirmation even if some of them get denied.

If you donít like the odds, Villanueva may liberalize more after July 01. Less than a year after that we should win a Right to Bear Arms from SCOTUS.

Place your bets, take your chances....
Old 05-13-2021, 2:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The bolded is false. If you read this thread from New Years forward you will discover your mistakes. Iím not going to take my time to go through it for you. As best I can remember about a half dozen CGNers told me of people they knew getting approved using LG. Rather than being trapped in a ďchicken or eggĒ conundrum we changed map to LG to get people to apply to verify. A few weeks ago I was contacted by two CGNers who said their LG GCs were approved (i.e., they were told to get training). Since then more than a half dozen more CGNers have said theyíve applied using LG GC. That should be final confirmation even if some of them get denied.

If you donít like the odds, Villanueva may liberalize more after July 01. Less than a year after that we should win a Right to Bear Arms from SCOTUS.

Place your bets, take your chances....
Well, as you probably know I don't read this thread all the time, so I based my comment off yours and OC's comments, but I'll just post yours:

Quote:
First off weíre still confirming they accept LG GCs.
You see I have a different understanding of that term than what you were trying to get across.

"My doctors think that I may have cancer. Though they are still confirming the test results."

So, as of right now there is no proof that I have cancer. (BTW, I'm not sick just used this as an example)

I don't have a horse in this race. I'm just trying to understand the method to the madness.

Quote:

Correct. But if one has a stronger GC (qualify under yellow/red), use that. They were calling back people who were previously denied under LR and Yellow.
And that's great for the "individual". And, it helps keep the status quo for the "few and the some".

But I guess it's just me that thinks if more people applied like the one you posted in your example it might just help the "most of us" group. You know by saying here's my "most of us good cause" but you may also want to take into consideration my "few/some of us good cause".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

ĒBenitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacityĒ
Old 05-13-2021, 3:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
And that's great for the "individual". And, it helps keep the status quo for the "few and the some".

But I guess it's just me that thinks if more people applied like the one you posted in your example it might just help the "most of us" group. You know by saying here's my "most of us good cause" but you may also want to take into consideration my "few/some of us good cause".
The status quo was virtually no issue for even LR or Yellow slightly more than a year ago since AV didnít fulfill his campaign promises.

If people get issued at Yellow, thatís a major improvement over AVs predecessor.

The issuing is still ripe and LA constituents are pushing. It all takes time. LA still hasnít caught up with SB, OC, or even Riverside but Iíd rather have some approved over none in a county of 10M. Weíre still pushing the envelope but need to get the numbers out there rather than seeing denials.

Like you and Paladin, I donít reside in LA either but I am here to monitor the progress and help those that are applying.

Old 05-13-2021, 3:45 PM

morrcarr67

Like paladin and Oc have said we encourage people with only light green GC to apply. I only disagree with you in regards to you telling people to apply using a light green GC when they have a perfectly good yellow/light red/red GC. The burden of proof is the same if the GC actually applied to you.

An example would be a person doing recreational shooting with high value guns (light green) versus a photographer carrying high value camera equipment (yellow). Both would have to show as proof that they own said gun or said equipment. Proof is the same but they seem to place more value on the photographer (job, livelihood) than the recreational shooter (fun, hobby). So if the individual did have both they definitely should use the yellow and not the light green. Keep in mind the color system is one we use and not a LASD policy. Individual deputies might not issue for recreational while they will issue for work related GC while other deputies will issue for both. We are confident however they are issuing for yellow. We want as many permits issued as possible so definitely apply but do so with the best possible GC that applies to you.
Old 05-13-2021, 7:02 PM

Has anyone dealt with moving from LA county to say OC or Ventura in the middle of the application process and how that may affect things? I was notified yesterday by the ccw div to complete my firearms training and let them know when complete. All livescan is complete and interview went well with plenty of gc and paperwork thanks to the work of Paladin and you fellas here. Really hoping I don't have to reapply in the new perspective county.
Old 05-13-2021, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeetcannon View Post
Has anyone dealt with moving from LA county to say OC or Ventura in the middle of the application process and how that may affect things? I was notified yesterday by the ccw div to complete my firearms training and let them know when complete. All livescan is complete and interview went well with plenty of gc and paperwork thanks to the work of Paladin and you fellas here. Really hoping I don't have to reapply in the new perspective county.

Unfortunately, changing residence counties requires you to start fresh with the new county you will be residing in.
Old 05-13-2021, 7:21 PM

Submitted my Application at the beginning of March.

Check was cashed on March 16, 2021.
Due to some conflicts with scheduling, I received a call back for my Interview in Chatsworth.
My Interview is scheduled for May 19th, 2021.
Old 05-13-2021, 8:15 PM

4/16 mailed application by certified mail
4/19 application arrived and signed for
5/6 check cashed

Waiting for call.

Senior citizen with some physical limitations, recreational and competitive shooting both remote and latter with expensive weapons. Light green GC.

Just found out need to do a LiveScan for completely unrelated but urgent purpose. Should I just use the request form from LASD that was linked to on earlier page?

In other words can a LiveScan serve two different purposes at once?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-13-2021, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner View Post
Unfortunately, changing residence counties requires you to start fresh with the new county you will be residing in.
Thatís correct. A new application and new livescan, in addition to the waiting game until the interview.

HighPoint, what county are you moving to?

Old 05-13-2021, 8:26 PM

Default Los Angeles

Quote:

Ventura GC is simply self defense. If you move to Ventura, I can walk you through the steps.

Last edited by awiner; 05-14-2021 at 6:53 AM..
Old 05-13-2021, 8:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You see I have a different understanding of that term than what you were trying to get across.

"My doctors think that I may have cancer. Though they are still confirming the test results."

So, as of right now there is no proof that I have cancer. (BTW, I'm not sick just used this as an example)
Don’t confuse “no proof” with “no evidence.” We have evidence supporting LASD being LG right now. But IMO we don’t have “proof.” That will take more than just two CGNers informing me LG was sufficient during their applications. Those other LG applicants will be like your hypothetical doctor running more tests to confirm initial tests’ indications of presence of cancer.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-13-2021 at 8:53 PM..
Old 05-13-2021, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I should mention I continue to get PMs from CGNers getting approved with, usually, Light Red or Yellow GCs. I just donít post about them because we're focusing on where the fight is, not where it was.

Again: even going from Dark Red to Yellow in less than a year for a 10M pop. county is incredible. Nonetheless, hopefully LG gets confirmed soon.

Old 05-13-2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matixten View Post
For those wondering how the CCW license may look like. If anyone that has already been issued a CCW can you confirm this?

Yes, thatís it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2021, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtheTaxMan View Post
Yes, thatís it

Thank You and carry on!!!
Old 05-13-2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, thatís it

Are they asking you to bring photo or they took it on site ?

Old 05-13-2021, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1978 View Post

On site. They have a full card making machine.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Thatís correct. A new application and new livescan, in addition to the waiting game until the interview.

HighPoint, what county are you moving to?
Appreciate the confirmation I expected but didn't want to hear. Sucks to finally be so close to the finish line and have to restart my race.

Going back and forth between Ventura and Orange, but looking strongly like the OC. Have to move soon as well, so no way I'll be done with the process here in LA before then.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matixten View Post
For those wondering how the CCW license may look like. If anyone that has already been issued a CCW can you confirm this?

This should be deleted. This person can still be identified by LASD by the issue date along with the photo of the individual that wasn't even blurred all that well. I hope they don't revoke his permit for sharing what it looks like to others online. LASD doesn't issue out a bunch of cards in one day. Maybe, 15-30 in a day so it will be easy for them to figure out who it is. Someone should tag a mod to delete this comment and any replies to it so this image goes away.

and yes, that's what the permit looks like.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1978 View Post

They have a tablet they fill out your information on and use it to take your photo, and then print the card there which contains a hologram security laminate on the card.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul49 View Post
5/6 check cashed

Waiting for call.

Senior citizen with some physical limitations, recreational and competitive shooting both remote and latter with expensive weapons. Light green GC.

Just found out need to do a LiveScan for completely unrelated but urgent purpose. Should I just use the request form from LASD that was linked to on earlier page?

Thanks in advance!!
If they don't charge any additional fee to send your live scan to LASD since your already getting one done, I don't see why not. If they ask, just explain. LASD I believe has the live scan form on their CCW web page.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosenstein View Post
This image is provided by LASD. Itís a sample image that is publicly available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I disagree. If that was the case, the information on the card would have been fictitious such as name, address, ORI number, CII number, etc, etc. This was an individual that was issued. Makes no sense to blur the information on a "Sample" card if it wasn't issued. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Disagree all you want. Here ya go. Found it in about 1 second.

http://pars.lasd.org/Viewer/Manuals/15183/Content/18444

Respectfully, that still doesn't prove that it's only a sample. It may be used as an example, but still could have been issued to an individual.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My point was thereís no need for the user who posted it on this forum to delete it since LASD published it.

Yep, LASD posted it so itís public info.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffygunguy View Post
This should be deleted. This person can still be identified by LASD by the issue date along with the photo of the individual that wasn't even blurred all that well. I hope they don't revoke his permit for sharing what it looks like to others online. LASD doesn't issue out a bunch of cards in one day. Maybe, 15-30 in a day so it will be easy for them to figure out who it is. Someone should tag a mod to delete this comment and any replies to it so this image goes away.

and yes, that's what the permit looks like.
In respect to your comment I'll delete the example. If other members want to look at what looks like members have posted the link.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone receive their call to pick up their permit that interviewed between 3/30- 4/8 and has passed all other requirements including live scan?

Old 05-14-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, thatís it

So is it a single "integrated" card like a Driver's license or is it something else that has been heat laminated like in a home laminating machine between two layers of plastic? Is there also a paper permit? San Diego switched from the laminated paper to integrated, but still issues a paper permit in addition to to the card and says you need to carry the paper version because the state has not approved the card version.

Also SD recently changed to allow an unlimited number of guns for the paper permit, but only 5 will fit on the card.

I'm curious about how L.A. is handling this.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
So is it a single "integrated" card like a Driver's license or is it something else that has been heat laminated like in a home laminating machine between two layers of plastic? Is there also a paper permit? San Diego switched from the laminated paper to integrated, but still issues a paper permit in addition to to the card and says you need to carry the paper version because the state has not approved the card version.

Also SD recently changed to allow an unlimited number of guns for the paper permit, but only 5 will fit on the card.

I'm curious about how L.A. is handling this.

Itís just a piece of card plastic thatís been printed on - Nothing fancy. Max three guns that must be listed on permit as of now. I assume they really just donít have the manpower yet to handle people with 5+ firearms and to run each one, etc.

Old 05-14-2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
5/6 check cashed

Waiting for call.

Thanks in advance!!

You will have to do a new live scan. Each request for live scan is coded to the the agency requesting and furnished to that agency only.
Old 05-14-2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Itís just a piece of card plastic thatís been printed on - Nothing fancy. Max three guns that must be listed on permit as of now. I assume they really just donít have the manpower yet to handle people with 5+ firearms and to run each one, etc.

Thanks for the answer. I doubt it's a manpower issue though. I watched my clerk in San Diego do it in real time and it took about 10-15 seconds.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 05-14-2021, 2:45 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Appreciate the confirmation I expected but didn't want to hear. Sucks to finally be so close to the finish line and have to restart my race.

Going back and forth between Ventura and Orange, but looking strongly like the OC. Have to move soon as well, so no way I'll be done with the process here in LA before then.
For what it's worth, Ventura accepts Self Defense as Good Cause. Takes between 4 and 6 months for initial issue right now.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 05-14-2021, 4:00 PM

Quote:
You will have to do a new live scan. Each request for live scan is coded to the the agency requesting and furnished to that agency only.
Thanks. That is exactly what I was afraid of.
Will likely then have to pay twice.
Will confirm with LiveScan sight next week when get it done.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:02 PM

This is true. I recently retired from LE and I know a new Live Scan will have to be done each and every time for a new job, certification or in this case a CCW. Agencies do not share their records per DOJ.

Each agency has different returns they are entitled to receive. For instance, when applying for as a LEO, anytime someone has been printed will show up in the results. This includes expunged arrests. Agencies/employers/governing body who issues a certification(ie: CCW, RN, Attorney, MD, Realtor, message tech, etc) also receives updates if someone has been arrested even after the certificate has been issued.

Also, each agency needs their own current (at time of live scan) criminal record. I have felt with people who were Live Scanned for a job, then they get arrested a few days later for DUI.

Quote:
Thanks. That is exactly what I was afraid of.
Will likely then have to pay twice.
Will confirm with LiveScan sight next week when get it done.

Last edited by Esexx; 05-15-2021 at 11:20 PM..
Old 05-16-2021, 8:11 AM

Firearms cleared today! On a Sunday no less!

03/18/21- Mailed Application
04/08/21- Phone call for interview
04/14/21- Interview
04/14/21- Fingerprinted
04/14/21- FBI completed
04/15/21- California completed
05/16/21- Firearms completed

Yellow GC

Now to wait for email to proceed with training. Will update.

Last edited by Immortal547; 05-16-2021 at 8:15 AM..