Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 02-18-2020, 5:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default How to Install the AR-15 Lower Parts Kit

How to Install the AR-15 Lower Parts Kit - A Step-by-Step Picture Guide

Installing the lower parts kit in your AR-15's lower receiver should take less than two hours for first-time builders. This guide will illustrate how to perform each assembly and install step with pictures and written instructions. We strongly recommend finding the right tools before you get started, lest you end up with missing roll pins and springs that flew off into the carpet, never to be found again (you don't want to put a pause on your install half-way through).

Tools Required:

Roll Pin Punches. You'll want three punches: 3/32", 1/8", and 5/32". The last two are optional but helpful, while the first is essential: You'll need the 3/32" punch to install the roll pins for the bolt catch and trigger guard.

Gunsmithing Hammer. To be used with your punches, the hammer will also help with installing the pins for the hammer and trigger, which make for a tight fit.

Needle-Nose Pliers. Useful for handling the tiny detents and springs that retain the takedown and pivot pins.

Masking Tape. Useful for covering up your receiver's finish to prevent damage while hammering and using the punches. This is of particular concern when installing the bolt catch roll pin.

Razor or Knife. Useful for keeping the spring-loaded detent compressed when installing the front takedown pin.

Lubricant. Essential for making pins slide in easily, lubricant will also help protect your anodized finish.

3/16" Allen Key. Required to install the pistol grip's screw and washer.

www.AR-15LowerReceivers.com

www.80-Lower.com

www.RangeOften.com

Your #1 source for 80% lowers, jigs, AR-15 parts, and AR build kits! Now offering quality range gear and protection!

Questions? Get in touch with us: info@ar-15lowerreceivers.com
Old 02-18-2020, 8:05 PM

Yeah the bolt catch roll pin is a bugger
The Aero with the screw is SOOO much easier.
Old 02-18-2020, 8:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

yea the 2 roll pins are a bit of a pain i use oil and a little bench vice to squeeze in the trigger guard one (hmm is oil a tool or a part?)

you are lucky of you have an allen head pistol grip screw a couple of mine had flathead so i used some of that poster goop i think its called dap to stick the screw to the screwdriver

Last edited by bohoki; 02-18-2020 at 8:59 PM..
Old 02-19-2020, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

I use a trapezoid type razor blade for the tough one. Use it do push flat and slides out easy
Old 02-19-2020, 12:18 PM

I used a drill bit of the right size and finger twirl it a few times in all holes suprised at how much flash you get out of some holes.
I know its anal but I also oil up the whole lower and all other parts and let it set for a day or 2,the park just soaks it up.