Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM
Snoopy47's Avatar
Snoopy47 Snoopy47 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,209
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default new TC for:TRAINING AND QUALIFICATION - INDIVIDUAL WEAPONS

TRAINING AND QUALIFICATION -
INDIVIDUAL WEAPONS

https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_p...INAL%20WEB.pdf

I thought it was funny there are only four chapters, but it's over 800 pages long
__________________
Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2019, 2:03 PM
Supersapper's Avatar
Supersapper Supersapper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 841
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Hey Snoopy,

I downloaded it for later viewing. Is this set to be the new standard in shooting the qualifications, or is this for something specific?

Reserves/Guard have always had an issue qualifying people...now it's competition style...or so it appears.
__________________
"I see dumb people. They are walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dumb."

"How often do you see them?"

"All the time. They're everywhere." ***in tears***


Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2019, 4:23 PM
Snoopy47's Avatar
Snoopy47 Snoopy47 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,209
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersapper View Post
Hey Snoopy,

I downloaded it for later viewing. Is this set to be the new standard in shooting the qualifications, or is this for something specific?

Reserves/Guard have always had an issue qualifying people...now it's competition style...or so it appears.

My impression is this is the new Reg on individual weapon qual. I don't think anything generally changes in terms of the standards, but it provides a lot of guidance on training.

It's a lot of: Here's how we need to work to improve marksmanship, but of course no additional money or time to actually do it.

What doesn't change is marksmanship is either a unit focus (which takes support from higher) or it's not.

For example, I personally don't care about myself, and NCO's E6 and above really don't care either.

My priority is E4-E5 need to get passing qual cards for their promotion packets. Promotions to E2-E4 don't need it, and promotions to E7, WO's and Officers don't really need it either.

I have 53 bullets per soldier to qualify with this month. So there's no room for error.

Last year we did really well, 100% that went to the range weekend qualified, but I stack the odds in their favor as much as I can (25 meter qual course of fire), and remind them how to GAME the target hits (for those not great at shooting don't bother with small targets, and use extra bullets to ensure hits on larger targets)
__________________
Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2019, 1:38 PM
tomk556 tomk556 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 648
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
My impression is this is the new Reg on individual weapon qual. I don't think anything generally changes in terms of the standards, but it provides a lot of guidance on training.

It's a lot of: Here's how we need to work to improve marksmanship, but of course no additional money or time to actually do it.

What doesn't change is marksmanship is either a unit focus (which takes support from higher) or it's not.

For example, I personally don't care about myself, and NCO's E6 and above really don't care either.

My priority is E4-E5 need to get passing qual cards for their promotion packets. Promotions to E2-E4 don't need it, and promotions to E7, WO's and Officers don't really need it either.

I have 53 bullets per soldier to qualify with this month. So there's no room for error.

Last year we did really well, 100% that went to the range weekend qualified, but I stack the odds in their favor as much as I can (25 meter qual course of fire), and remind them how to GAME the target hits (for those not great at shooting don't bother with small targets, and use extra bullets to ensure hits on larger targets)
53 rounds?? Asides from the absurdity of that number, how did they arrive at the number 13 for sighters? One day I hope to understand why it is that units will drag SMs out on a MUTA 8 on a charter bus, have them sit around for most of it, but then only secure 53 rounds per soldier. It also drives me nuts that we'll never, NEVER, EVER touch our crew served weapons and that we have (amazingly) both ACOGs and CCOs, but aren't allowed to use them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2019, 9:25 AM
Supersapper's Avatar
Supersapper Supersapper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 841
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk556 View Post
53 rounds?? Asides from the absurdity of that number, how did they arrive at the number 13 for sighters? One day I hope to understand why it is that units will drag SMs out on a MUTA 8 on a charter bus, have them sit around for most of it, but then only secure 53 rounds per soldier. It also drives me nuts that we'll never, NEVER, EVER touch our crew served weapons and that we have (amazingly) both ACOGs and CCOs, but aren't allowed to use them.
What's more is I don't know why we have to do that when we can, if we so chose to do so, use civilian 25 meter ranges that you could just shuttle shooters back and forth to that range. Absolutely minimal effect on operations in a Red Cycle BA weekend. We did that briefly when I was in the Guard. We'd done a MIPR with the local police range to use their ranges on given dates. It was working pretty well, since we didn't always have a full complement for a bus.

Now that I'm in the USAR, I spoke with the safety officer about it in our unit and he said that regs require USACE to approve the range; and that approval requires them to have a say in it's build.

Of all the stupid things...the range is built to civilian standards which exceed military in some cases and they're designed to stop 30-06 in many of them.

I sometimes wonder if it's the Army's duty to make sure we have patience by doing these things...

Oh...btw: I always bring my own batteries so I can use the CCO. Since qualification is hokey and strains the senses, I just want to put the bullets where they need to be as fast as possible. Usually 40/40, but once in a while a flier, but it's just done. Howver, I do try to be last on the range and offer to help "burn" the extra ammo. THATS when we get some good training.
__________________
"I see dumb people. They are walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dumb."

"How often do you see them?"

"All the time. They're everywhere." ***in tears***


Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.

Last edited by Supersapper; 08-13-2019 at 9:30 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-14-2019, 11:56 AM
jcourson's Avatar
jcourson jcourson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 446
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
I have 53 bullets per soldier to qualify with this month.
I am starting to see how I have had army marksmanship instructors tell some of my Marines that it isn't possible to hit a bravo target at 500 yards with iron sights - nevermind that we (used to) do it every year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant45 View Post
Plenty of people who don't frequent internet forums are blissfully unaware that their guns suck.
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2019, 7:47 PM
tomk556 tomk556 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 648
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourson View Post
I am starting to see how I have had army marksmanship instructors tell some of my Marines that it isn't possible to hit a bravo target at 500 yards with iron sights - nevermind that we (used to) do it every year.
The worst is that marksmanship counts in promotion too...

Sapper: ironically enough I've had occasion to learn of regs for civilian ranges lately. PM me if you're curious, but at least for Guard they're saying any non-DOD range requires an exception to policy signed by the Director, Army National Guard. Rumor is they need more units to rotate through Roberts and SLO to improve the ranges, which is all well and good, save for that requiring (inexplicably) a MUTA 8. Hope it's better in the USAR.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Snoopy47's Avatar
Snoopy47 Snoopy47 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,209
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk556 View Post
The worst is that marksmanship counts in promotion too...
Exactly. Right???????

I don't know the points anymore, but if you get perfect APFT you get 100% of the point allocation from APFT towards your promotion packet. The same goes for weapon qual. If you get 40/40 you get 100% of the point allocation.

Those point allocations for APFT and Wepaon Qual ARE THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!

Technically................ The Army considers fitness and weapon qual equal to each other in regard to E5 and E6 promotion packets. HOWEVER, no one is going to get flagged for a non current passing weapon qualification. Failing APFT could be a career ender, and results in a deferred NCOER/OER.

Weapons Qual is NOT EVEN A BOX ON the NCOER/OER.

We got to 53 rounds per because of my total MTOE number and put in for 132 soldiers. In the end they only gave us 7,000 rounds. I'm estimating only 100 actually show up considering pre basic soldiers, and the usual no shows.

So I might actually get as much as another 17 rounds per soldier in attendance.

********

As for the range, we just straight up use an Army Range. Send a few NCO's and officers to the annual RSO course run by the range, have a few CLS soldiers and a designated ambulance, and call it good (for the most part).
__________________
Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2019, 4:59 PM
Supersapper's Avatar
Supersapper Supersapper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 841
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk556 View Post
The worst is that marksmanship counts in promotion too...

Sapper: ironically enough I've had occasion to learn of regs for civilian ranges lately. PM me if you're curious, but at least for Guard they're saying any non-DOD range requires an exception to policy signed by the Director, Army National Guard. Rumor is they need more units to rotate through Roberts and SLO to improve the ranges, which is all well and good, save for that requiring (inexplicably) a MUTA 8. Hope it's better in the USAR.
Pm inbound
__________________
"I see dumb people. They are walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dumb."

"How often do you see them?"

"All the time. They're everywhere." ***in tears***


Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:15 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.