Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-16-2020, 8:47 AM

Default NightHawk 1911 drop in trigger system

I just got an email from NHC, and this item looks pretty interesting to me, the NHC 1911 drop in trigger system.

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/part...trigger-system

Design is cool, but I am not sure if I would spend $300 on it.
Old 01-16-2020, 9:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

If youíre spending that kind of money you may as well have a gunsmith do a proper trigger job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 10:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nice ignition set, but too expensive.

Harrison, EGW0 and a couple of other outfits offer high grade ignition sets for about half that price. Granted, they do not have the caged box design, and you will have to use some of the old parts like hammer strut, etc.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That's way too much for a drop-in trigger. I think it's a problem if someone cannot shoot a 1911 and need a $300 drop-in trigger to help them.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:13 PM

Default NightHawk 1911 drop in trigger system

I personally would rather spending money on accuracy job first , then consider about trigger pull.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:15 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

It is interesting though - a drop in 1911 trigger group, have we ever seen that before for a 1911?

Old 01-16-2020, 12:16 PM

Not until today. It looks like the trigger pull depends on the spring inside.

Old 01-16-2020, 4:17 PM
👀Theyíre Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Yeah... I’d rather have a smith work my trigger over
Old 01-16-2020, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifaldiPrecision View Post
If youíre spending that kind of money you may as well have a gunsmith do a proper trigger job.

That's what I was thinking.
Old 01-16-2020, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

An interesting concept, like the self contained AR triggers. It is rather expensive.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 01-17-2020, 2:39 PM

I'm assuming as it's a Nighthawk Custom until, it will be a egift good trigger (never owned one of their guns but heard they're very nice) it will be a legit nice trigger.

You can pay someone $200.00 plus shipping your gun, or more to do your trigger, but a kit that still needs to be fit to be as nice for $130.00-$180.00, not including tools, or get this drop in thing.

When you think about like that, it's probably comparable to paying for a trigger job.

Am I going to buy one? No. I like buying parts and making them work myself. But for the guy who isn't into fitting parts, this isn't the worst deal out there.

IF IT IS NIGHTHAWK CUSTOM QUALITY.
Old 01-17-2020, 4:35 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
It is interesting though - a drop in 1911 trigger group, have we ever seen that before for a 1911?
In a Tokarev, we have. And in a 1911 we now have too
Old 01-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Cylinder and Slide....

Been making them for years.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Nowlin and Cylinder and Slide both have drop-in 1911 triggers - though not in a housing like the Nighthawk - for about half the price. I doubt this one is that much better than those other kits. For $300, you can pretty much have any of the best 1911 gunsmiths out there give you a trigger job that will be superior.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 01-18-2020, 12:48 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

The 'Why' of it can be answered in the first video. I think it is all valid. You can move this from gun to gun and it will feel the same. You can have spare trigger groups ready to go if you are a competition shooter. You can run them in multiple guns and have a consistent feel from gun to gun.

https://youtu.be/NlLX7GQkagE

Plenty of people said the same thing about DIT for ARs (You can have a gunsmith do it cheaper) but look how prominent they are now. Note that this product was conceptualized by a Gunsmith instructor, not a suit wearing marketing exec.

For $300 I am not rushing to get one, but when they get down near $200 it starts getting interesting.

Sure you can have a gunsmith do a good job, but good gunsmiths have a long waiting list and I seriously doubt it is going to be cheaper by the time it is said and done (back and forth shipping etc - look how expensive it is for a private party to ship a handgun), and you will have a great trigger that was setup for that specific gun, versus one you can move from gun to gun with success.

One downside is proprietary parts - you are locked in with no easy way to change a single part if it fails by using a milspec replacement. But I see this DIT system being useful to several groups of shooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Nowlin and Cylinder and Slide both have drop-in 1911 triggers - though not in a housing like the Nighthawk - for about half the price. I doubt this one is that much better than those other kits. For $300, you can pretty much have any of the best 1911 gunsmiths out there give you a trigger job that will be superior.
IMO for the reasons mentioned in the video (variability of hole spacing and parallelism) - there has never been a true drop in trigger until now. Parts that will drop in and work are different than parts that will drop in and work optimally. I am sure any 1911 gunsmith out there would tell you those parts bundle triggers should be tuned manually for a specific frame.

The benefit to this is obvious, there is total control of the geometry of the parts when the parts are in a housing.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-18-2020 at 1:03 PM..
Old 01-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Possible Issues I see:

The unit may have movement in the frame causing felt creep due to differing size holes in the frame and unit. When I do lower poundage trigger jobs I measure the ID of the frame, ID of the component holes and OD of the pins. Then ensure they are all the same so they canít have any movement. When you have .018Ē total engagement you canít have movement. On a self contained unit you wonít have the same issues with movement but the unit as a whole able to move will be felt in the trigger. Btw rarely are any of the holes and pins similar, they always need to be trued.

Misaligned or deviation of hammer and sear holes in frame causing fitment issues, they are rarely the same frame to frame. Iím curious how this will play a role in the unit fitting properly and without movement.

Old 01-18-2020, 3:46 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifaldiPrecision View Post

Misaligned or deviation of hammer and sear holes in frame causing fitment issues, they are rarely the same frame to frame. I’m curious how this will play a role in the unit fitting properly and without movement.
I too am curious how the unit stays rigid in the frame. I have not watched the other videos but perhaps they will shed some light. Perhaps soon we will have some qualified 3rd parties to do a review and discussion (maybe you!).

Until someone who really knows what they are doing gets this in hand and tries it in a few frames, we just don’t know if this breaks any ground or is only snake-oil. I think if Nighthawk really believes in it, they should spread some around for free to such people.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 01-18-2020 at 3:48 PM..