Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-08-2019, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post
... I understand there's some sort of special key used to access water spigots on commercial buildings. Are these still available to the public? Does anyone have a link to one for sale? i figure this would potentially be very useful to someone in a survival situation. Thanks!
If you are talking about the 1/4 inch, recessed square stem on water spigots usually found at public parks, commercial buildings and other places, yes you would need a special key for that. I've linked to the key your asking about here on Amazon. They sell cheaper ones but the one linked to here has a better photo for illustration purposes. These 1/4 inch stems on the water spigot are recessed in a metal ring that prevents you from just using a pair of plyers to open the valve so you need this key: https://www.amazon.com/Zurn-P1300-PA...%2C1410&sr=8-4 I keep one in my car just for emergencies where I might need to get water and come across a water source protected by one of these square stem water spigots. There are other types of locking systems for outdoor water spigots but this is the most common one to come across.

It's a smart thing to have in your car or bug out/get home bag that most people don't think of.
Old 07-08-2019, 8:19 AM

Just put something together due to the earthquakes. It was a helpful reminder that most of the stuff we had was not organized in a go-bag kind of configuration. Also helped to get the wife onboard for some some additional expenses.

Are you a Fascist and don't even realize it? Find out! https://www.idrlabs.com/8-values-political/test.php
Old 07-08-2019, 9:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
Yes, added another bottle of Scotch and more toilet paper.
My man! (Except I’d put Irish Whiskey.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223556 View Post
It’s a good time if you don’t already to check and rotate stock or even audit as well.
I make it a habit to check every so often and make sure batteries are fresh and flashlights are working and to replace anything expired.
We do such when we do the HVAC intake air filter 2x a year (before summer and winter::A/C and heater). Well, kind of. I haven’t done the battery check in flashlights yet and we just changed the air filter last week. Added to list.
Old 07-08-2019, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Since this thread is active given recent events, I figured I'd ask here since it's related: I understand there's some sort of special key used to access water spigots on commercial buildings. Are these still available to the public? Does anyone have a link to one for sale? i figure this would potentially be very useful to someone in a survival situation. Thanks!

I keep a few of these around , in car in some go bags and such.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Product...gateway&sr=8-4
Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
After last night's 7.1 earthquake, a friend of mine in Las Vegas (NV) went to his local Costco and bought several pallets of water.

It was to supplement what he already had stored in advanced and so he could have extra on hand for barter/trade.

He also said people out there were panic buying water and canned food.
Not a bad plan. Ridgecrest will be without water for at least a week. A guy with a truck and a pallet of water could easily make enough profit to cover most of his fuel costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 07-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Extreme MAGA Republican
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M60A1Rise View Post
I keep a few of these around , in car in some go bags and such.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Product...gateway&sr=8-4
Hell yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am NOT...anything other than a schmuck...
Old 07-08-2019, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Since this thread is active given recent events, I figured I'd ask here since it's related: I understand there's some sort of special key used to access water spigots on commercial buildings. Are these still available to the public? Does anyone have a link to one for sale? i figure this would potentially be very useful to someone in a survival situation. Thanks!
It's a Sillcock key. I keep one on hand that fits four types of faucets.
Old 07-08-2019, 5:13 PM

Thanks all for the info and the links, will be picking up a few of these soon!
Old 07-08-2019, 6:02 PM

Just checked in with my Ridgecrest contact. There is no interruption in water service.
Old 07-08-2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
Yes, added another bottle of Scotch and more toilet paper.
You obviously have your priorities straight. I added two bottles of Aberlour 12 on sale for $29.99 each and a case of wet wipes. I need a backpack/kit for the car and would like to add some antibiotics, not specifically for a quake, but general shtf.
Old 07-08-2019, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnele928 View Post
Just checked in with my Ridgecrest contact. There is no interruption in water service.
My understanding is that the town of Trona has water supply issues.
Old 07-08-2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho_Eater View Post
True, but I'm thinking most people in this forum are better prepared than 90% of the population.

My local Costco got swamped with panicky people buying up cases of water. I'm thinking to myself, "where were you people many months ago?"

I usually wait a month or so after every one of these events to ADD to my stock pile. There is usually a buying panic after every event, and these stores get cleaned out. So when they get resupplied, everything is fresh, with the longest expiration date.
?The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not a ?second-class right,? subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.? ?.. "We know of no other constitutional rights that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need."
- Justice Clarence Thomas
Old 07-10-2019, 2:09 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Well after the June 22nd Earthquake here on the North Coast, I did add a few more MREs to my vehicle earthquake kit. Plus I added additional AA, AAA, and some more D cell alkaline batteries to the vehicle kit.

I usually have at least 2 or 3 cases of bottle water in my truck camper shell at all times.

I have no need to run out and stock up on emergency supplies since I have been involved with/ a card carrying member of the State of California Governor's Office of Emergency Service/ and the Humboldt County O.E.S. for almost 30 years as a Registered Disaster Service Worker in Communications. That State ID card would get me through most road blocks following a major disaster, and I have another one for Humboldt County.

They changed the look of our ID cards, so I have no problems of showing what the older ones look like...
Old 07-10-2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Not a bad plan. Ridgecrest will be without water for at least a week. A guy with a truck and a pallet of water could easily make enough profit to cover most of his fuel costs.
Municipal water in Ridgecrest was/is uninterrupted. The local grocery stores halved their normal bottled water prices. The National Guard is providing bottled water for free to Trona.

Profiteers have been and are being identified and rejected. If you've got the attitude you portray in your post then we don't want you here.

Donors and helpers are being recognized for their contributions.

This isn't a coastal metropolis.
Old 07-10-2019, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

Yep.

Also help a friend build his n his GF bags. Also helped him stocked up on for SHTF. Total after two days of shopping the bill was almost $1000 bucks. He got off easy I think. As they had nothing.
Old 07-10-2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
After last night's 7.1 earthquake, a friend of mine in Las Vegas (NV) went to his local Costco and bought several pallets of water.

It was to supplement what he already had stored in advanced and so he could have extra on hand for barter/trade.

He also said people out there were panic buying water and canned food.
Panic buying water? As in buying it by the pallet? Sorry, this just struck me as funny that he was buying "several" pallets of water but commented that he saw people panic buying water.

The earthquake didn't really change anything for us. Except I was irritated that I had dropped off my trailer for some minor maintenance just about 4 days before. Not that I need it exactly, but I keep about 10 extra gallons of water in it aside from the water tank, as well as some extra food. Having the trailer at the house just gives us another option in the event I had to shut off gas to the house, water was out, etc. I do have about 110 gallons of water and at least two months of food available regardless.

"News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-10-2019, 9:50 PM

Exclamation

My emergency preparations have turned into an EMERGENCY HOARDING INTERVENTION. I have to downsize my preparations.

10 years ago I bought a new 55 gallon water container with pump and drinking water safe hose to fill it. 10 years later it has never been filled-“it’s got to GO.”
Filled it’s too heavy to move. So I went with 5 gal DOT UN approved, earthquake proof, long term square containers. 18-20 in the bedroom with a box spring/mattress on top(replace water every year). 4 in the garage.

Two All America canners and a stack of new jars to the ceiling in the garage let alone the jars packed with meat, stew etc. in the cupboards. Took one Canner to Moms in AZ. I’m going to have to take a couple truckloads to Moms “it’s got to GO.”

World class camp gear -1/2 has got to GO. 3 Sprinbar Tents and a 4 season.
On and on.

All I’m saying is you can have too much to the point you can’t get to it. OR you have to build a bigger barn.

I was in Northridge the day after the big earthquake and every third house was camping in the front yard. Good camping gear IS emergency preparedness.

So now I’ve taken up half of my mother-in-law’s garage, rented a storage space just so I can short out and organize my emergency CRAP!

I’m doing some remodeling on my place and can’t get to the tools in my lock boxes in the garage. This has caused me to realize that I might be an emergency preparing hoarder. OH look! there is the boxes of emergency wool blankets from around the world. Maybe some counseling could help?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I hoard guns and ammo...
Old 07-10-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
I hoard guns and ammo...
Yes, I might need some counseling for gun hoarding and reloading equipment.
And Heaven knows there is a European optic fetish that has turned into a financial problem that has not finished running it’s course.
Old 07-14-2019, 2:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Picked up a possible 72-hr bag: https://sport.woot.com/offers/camelb...ation-backpack
Old 07-16-2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
It's a Sillcock key. I keep one on hand that fits four types of faucets.

I prefer this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YKX8HN...il_aax_0?psc=1

10 tools in one if you count the flat & phillips screw driver bit. Plus it has a magnet in it.