Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-08-2019, 7:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default STI 2011 Beavertail Issue

So I just dropped my Combat Master on its beavertail and this happened. Anyone know how to fix?

2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Old 10-08-2019, 7:48 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Looks like the tab broke off the grip safety. It is normally captured by the main spring housing and prevents the grip safety from doing exactly what it is doing now.

It is hard to say with the low res, poorly lit photo. But if so, you need a new grip safety. Hopefully the replacement drops in and blends with the frame.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-08-2019 at 7:52 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

Presuming nothing broken, remove the slide, pull the safety, reset the sear spring, refit the grip safety, refit the safety, function check.

If the grip safety is broken, then send it back to STI for them to fit and BLEND the new part. Dropping in a new part will not result in a nice blend.

The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-08-2019, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Looks like the tab broke off the grip safety. It is hard to say with the low res, poorly lit photo. But if so, you need a new grip safety. Hopefully the replacement drops in and blends with the frame.

Itís not broken. I canít get it to back in. There are two tabs but theyíre not broken.
Colt Series 70 1911
Old 10-08-2019, 7:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffybuster View Post
Presuming nothing broken, remove the slide, pull the safety, reset the sear spring, refit the grip safety, refit the safety, function check.

The hammer is down. I canít release the hammer without engage the grip safety.
Colt Series 70 1911
Old 10-08-2019, 7:54 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

You need to take the gun apart, inspect everything in detail. I don’t see how the grip safety swings out like that without something being broken.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-08-2019 at 7:58 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
The hammer is down. I canít release the hammer without engage the grip safety.
Remove the grips, pull the mainspring housing to remove pressure on the hammer. If this is unfamiliar, then disregard what I said; box it up and send it to a gunsmith.

The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-08-2019, 7:59 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Remove the grips, pull the mainspring housing to remove pressure on the hammer. If this is unfamiliar, then disregard what I said; box it up and send it to a gunsmith.
I see what he is saying - he cannot COCK the hammer because the beavertail is in the way. So he cannot remove the slide. Not sure if he can even remove the thumb safety because that would require the hammer to be back. So he can’t get the sear/hammer pins or anything out either.

If he cannot jimmy the grip safety back in a bit, he may need to cut the tang of the grip safety off.

This should be fun....

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-08-2019 at 8:02 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 8:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You need to take the gun apart, inspect everything in detail. I donít see how the grip safety swings out like that without something being broken.

Quote:

Taking it apart is what Iím afraid of. Thereís a grandmaster grip texturing on it that goes all the way around. I will have to remove the grip.
Colt Series 70 1911
Old 10-08-2019, 8:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I see what he is saying - he cannot COCK the hammer because the beavertail is in the way. So he cannot remove the slide. Not sure if he can even remove the thumb safety because that would require the hammer to be back.

If he cannot jimmy the grip safety back in a bit, he may need to cut the tang of the grip safety off.

This should be fun....

The hammer is cocked. I canít drop the hammer without disengaging the grip safety.
Colt Series 70 1911
Old 10-08-2019, 8:04 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The hammer is cocked. I can’t drop the hammer without disengaging the grip safety.
In the photo you posted, the hammer is not cocked. It may be half cocked. And if the hammer is cocked, it isn’t the normal operation of the grip safety that is preventing the trigger from being pulled, because the tang of the grip safety is not in the position to block the trigger bow that I can see.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-08-2019 at 8:08 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 8:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
In the photo you posted, the hammer is not cocked.

I know. I was trying to fix it and somehow managed to cocked the hammer. I was gripping the slide trying to get the beavertail back in.
Colt Series 70 1911
Old 10-08-2019, 8:10 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I know. I was trying to fix it and somehow managed to cocked the hammer. I was gripping the slide trying to get the beavertail back in.
Then remove slide assembly, remove grips, remove MSH (which will be under serious spring pressure), remove thumb safety, remove hammer / sear / disconnector. Inspect and reassemble.

You may not need to remove grips if that is the MSH pin down there exposed, and the MSH can slide out without removing the grips. It looks like those grips wrap around the back strap / MSH though?

Sorry I am not real familiar with 2011. Hopefully it does not have integral MSH. I do see a flash of plastic up there where the grip safety tab would have had to pass by. Hopefully that was not what was retaining the grip safety. Because something had to give for it to end up that way.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-08-2019 at 8:15 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 8:11 PM

Send it back, include a $20 as an apology for being clumsy.

That being said, I personally wouldn't trust a gun that partially disassembled in a drop.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
Old 10-08-2019, 8:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Then remove slide assembly, remove grips, remove MSH (which will be under serious spring pressure), remove thumb safety, remove hammer / sear / disconnector. Inspect and reassemble.

You may not need to remove grips if that is the MSH pin down there exposed, and the MSH can slide out without removing the grips.

I canít remove the grip without removing the factory texturing. I think Iím SOL. I will probably have to send it in to STI.
Colt Series 70 1911
Old 10-08-2019, 8:15 PM

The STI 2011 doesn't have normal grip panels (The grip assy is one piece and includes the trigger guard). You should be able to push out the mainspring housing pin, remove the mag well and slide the mainspring housing down slightly. If the trigger/sear spring isn't out of its slot in the frame, you should be able to swing the grip safety down in its normal position (provided nothing is broken). This should allow you to press the trigger and lower the hammer completely (We're assuming the gun's unloaded!). Then push the MSH back up in position (making sure the hammer strut is on the main spring cap in the MSH), reinstall the mag well and reinsert the MSH pin. The only issue is you may have to fight the main spring a bit to make sure the MSH is flush to get the pin back in. If that doesn't work for you, pulling the MSH will allow you to cock the hammer (under no spring pressure), set the thumb safety and field strip the gun. Then you can tackle the issue with just the frame, which should be no sweat (see above), as long as nothing is broken or bent.

Last edited by D1911; 10-08-2019 at 8:22 PM..
Old 10-08-2019, 8:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1911 View Post
You should be able to push out the mainspring housing pin, remove the mag well and slide the mainspring housing down slightly. If the trigger/sear spring isn't out of its slot in the frame, you should be able to swing the grip safety down in its normal position (provided nothing is broken). This should allow you to press the trigger and lower the hammer completely (We're assuming the gun's unloaded!). Then push the MSH back up in position (making sure the hammer strut is on the main spring cap in the MSH), reinstall the mag well and reinsert the MSH pin. The only issue is you may have to fight the main spring a bit to make sure the MSH is flush to get the pin back in.

Holy cow. That sounds difficult. I will YouTube some videos for reference and try this. Thank you.
Colt Series 70 1911
Old 10-08-2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Holy cow. That sounds difficult. I will YouTube some videos for reference and try this. Thank you.
It actually sounds worse then it is. I've done it a few times on my STI Marauder and it's relatively simple if you take your time.
Old 10-08-2019, 9:34 PM

The msh is stippled and blended in really well. That it looks like its integral. Knock the pin out and it will slide out. But with that being said you have an STI 2011 and your posts do not sound like you're familiar with either the 1911 or 2011. Your replies to comments about how to manage the gun show that you're apprehensive and do not understand the gun. I could be wrong and excuse me if I am. But if you can't fully inspect the functionality of the gun then you potentially have a dangerous situation if the safety or fire control is compromised. Maybe the hammer hooks got beefd or whatever it may be, maybe nothing. But I would suggest that you take it to someone, and imo not STI. There is a handful of good 2011 smiths in the Los Angeles area.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 6:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Where do you live? Maybe one of us local to you can lend a hand.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 10-09-2019, 9:02 AM

As a few have said, it’s a 2011. Remove the pin at the rear of the magwell . That will release the magwell and msh. Since you’re at half cock, there will be some tension on it. Then slide the msh down about a half inch and rotate the grip safety back into place. You should be able to decock now. Push the msh back up and install the magwell and pin.

I too would fully disassemble it to inspect everything.

Here’s a vid.

https://youtu.be/C_TMjYH3gP0

Last edited by saudadeii; 10-09-2019 at 9:05 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooder View Post
The msh is stippled and blended in really well. That it looks like its integral. Knock the pin out and it will slide out. But with that being said you have an STI 2011 and your posts do not sound like you're familiar with either the 1911 or 2011. Your replies to comments about how to manage the gun show that you're apprehensive and do not understand the gun. I could be wrong and excuse me if I am. But if you can't fully inspect the functionality of the gun then you potentially have a dangerous situation if the safety or fire control is compromised. Maybe the hammer hooks got beefd or whatever it may be, maybe nothing. But I would suggest that you take it to someone, and imo not STI. There is a handful of good 2011 smiths in the Los Angeles area.
My thoughts exactly. So many "Operators" out there don't know how to operate their firearms.

Looks like removal of the main spring housing is needed to slide the grip safety back into position.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Where do you live? Maybe one of us local to you can lend a hand.

I live in Modesto and work in San Jose. If anyone knows a good smith in either city please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
My thoughts exactly. So many "Operators" out there don't know how to operate their firearms.

Looks like removal of the main spring housing is needed to slide the grip safety back into position.

Iím not an operator nor do I claim to be one. Iím just some average joe trying to enjoy guns. I usually shoot cheap guns. This is the first expensive handgun Iíve ever purchased. Due to the price, I donít want to mess with it and cause further damage. If this happened to any of my Springfields I wouldnít mind tinkering with it.
Colt Series 70 1911

Last edited by phdo; 10-09-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Old 10-09-2019, 11:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You should be able to knock the MSH pin that’s also retaining the magwell. If the MSH is polymer I’m thinking the MSH is a bit tore up where you probably can’t see while it’s still in the gun.

It’s really not much different than a Springfield 1911, only difference is the polymer grip that removable, wide body/mag, magwell.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine

Last edited by JTROKS; 10-09-2019 at 11:13 AM..
Old 10-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I live in Modesto and work in San Jose. If anyone knows a good smith in either city please let me know.

Iím not an operator nor do I claim to be one. Iím just some average joe trying to enjoy guns. I usually shoot cheap guns. This is the first expensive handgun Iíve ever purchased. Due to the price, I donít want to mess with it and cause further damage. If this happened to any of my Springfields I wouldnít mind tinkering with it.
Only difference is the price, they operate tbe same. If you know to to remove the MSH in one you can with the other. So you think the more expensive the gun, the more prone to breakage from standard disassembly?
Old 10-09-2019, 11:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Only difference is the price, they operate tbe same. If you know to to remove the MSH in one you can with the other. So you think the more expensive the gun, the more prone to breakage from standard disassembly?

Not from standard disassembly but from my lack of experience. Iíve never owned a 2011 so I donít know if thereís anything different internally between the 1911 and 2011. It hasnít been a month yet since I bought it so itís a relatively new gun to me.
Colt Series 70 1911
Old 10-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
If you haven't seen this one, it's pretty good vid for 2011 disassembly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_TMjYH3gP0
Old 10-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

OP,

I work in San Jose, assuming nothing is broken, I can take it apart for you and get it back together, or at least tell you what broke. Send me a PM and we'll see about a meet up.

Jerry