Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-01-2021, 8:55 PM

Default For those who bought Brownells 10/22 receivers...

... what was your experience with barrel fit?

I am considering swapping out my Ruger OEM receiver for the Brownells, with a Kidd barrel. But I don't want a loose fit on the barrel.

In your experience do the Brownells receivers run big, small, or luck of the draw?

Getting the Kidd bbl off the Ruger receiver is going to be a b***h and I don't want to go through that hassle for nothing.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not sure which Kidd barrel you have...
I installed a tac sol sb-x .920 barrel on the brn-22, very snug fit.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016656526?pid=161375

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Evil, nasty, vicious!!
I like the way you think!
Old 02-02-2021, 1:47 AM

Barrel fit is going to be more of a function of the barrel than the receiver. Many aftermarket barrels are oversize a bit to allow for tighter fit and correct possible wear in the barrel hole (which doesn't really happen that much, even with aluminum receiver and steel barrel shank...)

Got a couple Brownells a while back, had no real issues with fit, not overly tight with a Ruger factory barrel, and aftermarket barrels need a bit of work to fit, per the above.

How you choose to fit the barrel will be up to you, but patience is the key.

This will sound scary, but one way to get a tight barrel out is to remove the v-block, and cycle the bolt a couple times - you should notice the barrel start to come out, as it does, you should be trying to take it out by hand so the bolt doesn't ding up the receiver (not that it'll hurt anything).
Old 02-02-2021, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
Barrel fit is going to be more of a function of the barrel than the receiver. Many aftermarket barrels are oversize a bit to allow for tighter fit and correct possible wear in the barrel hole (which doesn't really happen that much, even with aluminum receiver and steel barrel shank...)

Got a couple Brownells a while back, had no real issues with fit, not overly tight with a Ruger factory barrel, and aftermarket barrels need a bit of work to fit, per the above.

How you choose to fit the barrel will be up to you, but patience is the key.

This will sound scary, but one way to get a tight barrel out is to remove the v-block, and cycle the bolt a couple times - you should notice the barrel start to come out, as it does, you should be trying to take it out by hand so the bolt doesn't ding up the receiver (not that it'll hurt anything).
Yeah, I would bet my house that cycling the bolt is not gonna budge that Kidd outa there. I had to heat that receiver like crazy and only barely got it on, with about 5 seconds to time the barrel, before it locked up solid.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
Yeah, I would bet my house that cycling the bolt is not gonna budge that Kidd outa there. I had to heat that receiver like crazy and only barely got it on, with about 5 seconds to time the barrel, before it locked up solid.

Sounds like you will have to do the reverse to get it out. Maybe a slide hammer to help?
Old 02-02-2021, 4:51 PM

I got a bull barrel from eBay and there was no resistance to install on Brownell receiver.
So far the V block is holding the barrel just fine. No issue yet.

Well that doesn’t really answer your question though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
I didn't think it would work, but I've got one very tight barrel (steel shank, so VERY slow to remove any excess material) I wanted to mount on a QBD stock (so it's going to be in and out). The lever mechanism is required to push it in, and the bolt takes a few cycles (pull back and release) before it gets out far enough to remove, but it does work. Might make your life easier even if you have to apply heat as well. I've dealt with tight barrels a few times, and only just accidentally discovered this "trick", so thought I'd pass it along in case it might help!

Sounds like you'll want to take some sandpaper to that Kidd shank when you do get it out - if it's aluminum, it doesn't take much to get it to fit, if it's steel, well, you'll be there for a while! I just fitted one of each to a couple receivers, the aluminum was pretty easy...

If you aren't keeping the original Ruger receiver, I have a few spare parts laying around, and never enough receivers!
Old 02-03-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
I didn't think it would work, but I've got one very tight barrel (steel shank, so VERY slow to remove any excess material) I wanted to mount on a QBD stock (so it's going to be in and out). The lever mechanism is required to push it in, and the bolt takes a few cycles (pull back and release) before it gets out far enough to remove, but it does work. Might make your life easier even if you have to apply heat as well. I've dealt with tight barrels a few times, and only just accidentally discovered this "trick", so thought I'd pass it along in case it might help!

Sounds like you'll want to take some sandpaper to that Kidd shank when you do get it out - if it's aluminum, it doesn't take much to get it to fit, if it's steel, well, you'll be there for a while! I just fitted one of each to a couple receivers, the aluminum was pretty easy...

If you aren't keeping the original Ruger receiver, I have a few spare parts laying around, and never enough receivers!
Sorry the Ruger receiver is gonna get repainted and probably used as the basis for a kid's 22 using the OEM parts I took off it originally, that is, IF I decide to use the Brownells rcvr on my rifle.
Old 02-04-2021, 2:26 AM

Yep, they multiply like rabbits! I've been happy with the Brownell's I got on sale when they were sort of closing them out quite a while back... I got the non-rail version, no issues with them.

You may need to trim just a little on the rail (next to the ejection port) to get the bolt in, Rugers "tilt" in, the Brownells rail is a bit longer, and the bolt has to almost go in "square", which is a bit tricky. That's about the only thing I can think of that might cause some frustrations.

Enjoy the builds!
Old 02-22-2021, 7:29 PM

one thing I've found with the brownells 10/22 recievers is a lot of aftermarket bolts don't seem to work in them. Either a factory bolt or there own bolt seem to work. I've tried installing a kidd and a volquartsen bolt in one and both would not work.
Old 02-23-2021, 8:29 AM
Banned

You could always roll you worn receiver.
http://www.ruger1022receiver.com/