Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-15-2020, 7:47 PM

Just wanted to post my CCW timeline process to date, I was also hoping to see if others started their process similar to my dates in order to get an idea of where we all stand during the holidays and another round of lockdowns.

03/16/2020 - Called the San Diego Sheriff Department, gave them my info and scheduled an appointment for August 31st, 2020

03/18/2020 - Received email from Permitium to fill out form in order to begin registration and submit application - "Processing" and "convenience" fees also paid.

03/30/2020 - Permit application received by Permitium - Appointment still scheduled for August 31st, 2020

07/02/2020 - Received an email that my appointment was canceled, and that they would call me back to reschedule an appointment to an unknown future date due to the COVID-19 office closure.

08/03/2020 - Received a phone call and rescheduled my appointment to October 26th, 2020

10/26/2020 - Went to my appointment as scheduled and briefly spoke to the clerk as she went over my application. She then took my mug shot and fingerprints, and told me to keep an eye on my email as they would be contacting me within 90 days.

12/15/2020 - Still waiting, hopefully I get a response soon but with the way things are looking with the elections and more lockdowns, who knows how much longer my wait will continue...
Old 12-16-2020, 5:54 AM

I did my interview/livescan on 9/28.
Two weeks ago they called me to clear up an issue with one of my ccw guns and last week they dropped by my place with their business card to verify my address.
So it looks like they are still chugging along with the applications.
Hang in there man!
Old 12-16-2020, 8:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingapail View Post
last week they dropped by my place with their business card to verify my address.
Do they do a residence check for every applicant?
Old 12-16-2020, 4:11 PM

Not sure, but my DL had my old orange county address, so they’re probably checking to see if I actually live in san diego.
Old 12-16-2020, 9:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Just some information for renewals...

Get your renewal application (Permitium) in at the 90 day mark and BEFORE you've taken your renewal class. Your application is what gets you in the que to get an appointment date, so you want to get that going ASAP. You've got plenty of time to take the class and update your application on line.

SD Sheriff will eventually call you to get your renewal appointment scheduled...Note that this will likely be BEFORE your application has been reviewed

Eventually your application will get reviewed and they will then advise you of this and if they need anything else from you. BE READY FOR THIS. They finally called me today and asked me for a couple of photos related to my good cause and for me to update the two utility bills that I had submitted for my proof of residency (they were three months old at this point). My renewal appointment is TOMORROW! Nothing like waiting until the very last minute.

SD County Gun Owners is publishing updates on the process as information becomes available. Suggest you either check their website regularly or sign up for their social media accounts if you have one.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor!

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-07-2021, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Based on my experience, they do a residence check for new applicants, but not for renewals if your address has not changed.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 01-07-2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
Based on my experience, they do a residence check for new applicants, but not for renewals if your address has not changed.
They didn't do one for me. At least not that I'm aware.
Old 01-13-2021, 9:22 AM

Just got my permit yesterday. Smooth and easy. I did get a paper form and a credit card form.
Thanks everyone for all the help and info!
Old 01-13-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingapail View Post
Just got my permit yesterday. Smooth and easy. I did get a paper form and a credit card form.
Thanks everyone for all the help and info!

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2021, 8:14 AM

Default Renewal application progress

My current San Diego CCW expires on Feb. 20. I took a renewal class and applied on Permitium on November 22, about 90 days in advance of expiration. I have checked back online a number of times, and my application appears complete but has not yet been assigned to a clerk. Finally I sent an email to the sheriff asking about the situation. Here was the reply I received:

"Unfortunately, we are running about 3 months behind on renewals. We are currently scheduling permit holders who expired in early December, and we will reach out to you as soon as possible. When your license expires, you won't be able to carry but it does not affect your renewal process."

So it appears there will be a gap in my permit from Feb. 20 to some future date when I receive the new permit (assuming everything goes well). Maybe I'll buy some pepper spray to carry during that period, along with my folding knife. I sure wish the CA permit was more than only 2 years - I have some out of state permits that range from 5 years (Arizona and Utah) to 7 years (Florida) duration before renewal. And I have never experienced a gap in coverage on them during prior renewals.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:50 AM

I applied for my renewal Oct 19th 2020 and my CCW expired Nov 19th 2020. I emailed shortly after the expiration date and was told that I would get an appointment in January 2021. Around mid December I emailed again and was told Jan 14th. Went in on Jan 14th and collected my renewed permit that day. The process was very simple, I think between number of applicants and Covid they are buried but doing their best at the SO. For my initial CCW when I went in for the interview/face to face the office was buzzing with people....today...very quiet. For anyone needing a renewal - apply 90 days before you expire and I think that will greatly improve the likelihood of zero gaps in having your CCW