Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 82 8.41%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 657 67.38%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 22 2.26%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.62%
They will go out of business this year! 23 2.36%
Don't want anything to do with them! 146 14.97%
Voters: 975. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2020, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Good idea on using a 20 ga shotgun.

Would you be able to mitigate the 12 ga recoil with those mini shells? You’d be able to fit more rounds into the magazine also, right? Would mini shells interfere with all the FS routines such as reloading, changing your load, etc?

Do they even make slugs for the mini shells? How about belt carriers for those?

Sorry for the newbie questions... the world of shotguns is an unfamiliar territory for me, like archery lol

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:18 AM

I took the 4 day class and used a rented Benelli M4.
The recoil was a pain. I'd highly recommend a shoulder pad.
I'd also highly recommend a semi-auto. In days 3 and 4 you are doing a lot of rapid firing. And, get real familiar with doing a "select (shell)" drop in. I forget what they call it but, you have to be able to load in a select round, usually a slug, from a full battery condition.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Good idea on using a 20 ga shotgun.

Would you be able to mitigate the 12 ga recoil with those mini shells? You’d be able to fit more rounds into the magazine also, right? Would mini shells interfere with all the FS routines such as reloading, changing your load, etc?

Do they even make slugs for the mini shells? How about belt carriers for those?

Sorry for the newbie questions... the world of shotguns is an unfamiliar territory for me, like archery lol

I think mini shells would be a bad idea. They seem more like a novelty than something you'd actually want to use if your life counted on it, so I wouldn't even consider using them for training and I've seen videos that show they aren't that reliable and seemed to jam to often for me to trust them. Plus you need an adapter, and if you lose or damage the rubber adapter you're S.O.L. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with mini shells, etc. I think it be much better to use who you have and regular shells and spend money on dialing in your shotgun and getting a nice recoil pad.

I'm signed up for the 4-day tactical shotgun class in October and will be taking my 12g Mossberg 590A1. I really prefer the aesthetic of the original stock, but because the ghost ring sights are mounted on the rail it make it difficult to get a good cheek weld while also being able to sight the gun properly. The Magpul stock makes it look very bro/douchey tactical, but it's a night and day difference regarding comfort and being able to sight the shotgun. I then ditched the stock Magpul recoil pad, and installed a Limbsaver recoil pad. Limbsaver doesn't make a recoil pad for the Mossberg Magpul stock, but they do make one for the Remington Magpul stock and an adapter that will allow you to mount is on the Mossberg Magpul stock. Got to test it out this weekend up at a friends ranch and it's a VERY comfortable shotgun to shoot, and I dont care if my buddies made fun of the recoil pad and call it a "pu$$y pad". After a 4-day course I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more.

I'm very excited to use this shotgun for the course. Only downsides are since it's a 590A1 it has a 20", thicker-walled barrel and 8+1 capacity, so it's not a light shotgun. The weight may pose a problem over a 4-day course, but I have a Blue Force Gear Vickers padded sling that is very comfortable. Initially tried a couple Magpul slings but prefer the Blue Force Gear for comfort. I attach one end though the channel in the stock itself (tried the swivel mount on the stock and didn't like it always spinning around). Feeding the sling through the channel also means less hardware and carries really well, only downside is not as easy to disconnect like a QD sling swivel. On the front of the shotgun I have a GG&G mount that also has a small rail to mount a light. This has been the best sling/light mount I've tried so far. It's low profile, the light can be removed in a couple seconds.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 06-27-2020 at 11:51 AM..
Old 06-27-2020, 7:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks, Vinnie. Please tell us how your gun (and you) perform in class.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 06-28-2020, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

So a couple of comments about Front sight and the level of training offered in the 4 day handgun class. I must say the quality is pretty high compared to what I went through today for my CCW class today.
Even what front sight sent out for the Florida CCW training had more real life info to use than what was supplied for information. Then seeing what qualifies as competent versus what Front Sight does was surprising. In short, I liked Front Sight to begin with but value the training even more when stacked up against what else is out there.
Old 06-29-2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
So a couple of comments about Front sight and the level of training offered in the 4 day handgun class. I must say the quality is pretty high compared to what I went through today for my CCW class today.
Even what front sight sent out for the Florida CCW training had more real life info to use than what was supplied for information. Then seeing what qualifies as competent versus what Front Sight does was surprising. In short, I liked Front Sight to begin with but value the training even more when stacked up against what else is out there.

Agreed. The CCW qualification is akin to a drivers test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member