Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-23-2020, 8:02 PM

Default Trijicon MRO to Aimpoint Micro Adaptor?

Calgunners,

Odd question, but interested to know if anyone has ever seen or heard of an “adaptor” that would allow you to mount a Trijicon MRO red dot onto a mount that is made for an Aimpoint micro red dot?

The obvious answer might seem to be, “just buy a mount for the MRO”, but the issue is that I want to use a specialized mount from Midwest Industries, which they only make compatible with the Aimpoint micro mounting pattern.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 02-28-2020, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I think the only option is to take the MI mount to a good machine shop and have them drill/retap it for the MRO. They can probably make a shim for you, but that would affect your cowitness.
Old 02-28-2020, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
Unfortunately I think the only option is to take the MI mount to a good machine shop and have them drill/retap it for the MRO. They can probably make a shim for you, but that would affect your cowitness.
Even the sight itself affects the co-witness or lack of one.

A Aimpoint Micro does not necessarily need the same spacer or mount height as a MRO, I doubt it does.

When I mounted my rear sight relocation mount that can co-witness red dots on a pic rail, it did not work with many sights... basically only worked with a few tube style Aimpoint Micro clones... Crossfire RD-1, TRS-25 etc...

I bet if I took my MRO and installed it on a low-mount and tried it... it would not co-witness, but I didn't try it. It is on an AR.

I guess it might be different because that one puts the sight on its side IIRC... but I would expect problems, just IMHO.
Old 02-28-2020, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^
BTW, I was assuming you are wanting to co-witness on a PC CARBINE... that's what it sounded like.
Old 02-28-2020, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Even the sight itself affects the co-witness or lack of one.

A Aimpoint Micro does not necessarily need the same spacer or mount height as a MRO, I doubt it does.

When I mounted my rear sight relocation mount that can co-witness red dots on a pic rail, it did not work with many sights... basically only worked with a few tube style Aimpoint Micro clones... Crossfire RD-1, TRS-25 etc...

I bet if I took my MRO and installed it on a low-mount and tried it... it would not co-witness, but I didn't try it. It is on an AR.

I guess it might be different because that one puts the sight on its side IIRC... but I would expect problems, just IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
^^^
BTW, I was assuming you are wanting to co-witness on a PC CARBINE... that's what it sounded like.
I assume that the OP's optic is for an AR-15. The MRO's cowitness should be close enough if it's attached directly to an Aimpoint mount. But if an adapter/shim were installed, it would raise the optic by a few millimeters. If the mount is absolute cowitness and the OP is okay with a shim that changes it to lower 1/3 cowitness then it might not be an issue.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
I assume that the OP's optic is for an AR-15. The MRO's cowitness should be close enough if it's attached directly to an Aimpoint mount.
To me it sounded like he wanted to mount this one:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com.../mi-pc9t1m.htm

BUT, OP... if you want the best advice you could be less vague. I bet most people here would be familiar with whatever specialized mount you are talking about.

Yeah AR's and rails are pretty easy... I have a Trijicon mount on my MRO.

Last edited by crufflers; 02-28-2020 at 3:08 PM..
Old 02-28-2020, 1:42 PM

crufflers - You are absolutely correct. I should have specified in my original post, but yes, this is for a pc carbine. Mine has the factory mlok rail.

The issue that I have is that the MI mount is only compatible with MI’s mlok rail. Of course the mlok mounting works on the factory mlok rail, but because the factory mlok rail has a larger diameter than the MI mlok rail, using this mount with the factory rail means that the red dot is shifted over to the right. Meaning, when you shoulder the carbine, the tube of the red dot is offset to the right as compared to the barrel, rail, and factory sights.

I have been trying to think of ways to get around this problem, as I really would like to co-witness with the factory sights. The MI mount is the best option that I’ve found, except for the issue that I described. The reason I was thinking about the MRO is because it seems to have a higher center height-over-bore compared with the aimpoint micro (and similar) red dots.

Last edited by CLICCO; 03-01-2020 at 4:03 AM..