Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 10:02 AM

Default Have a question for the brain trust here.

I am truly asking this for a friend. He has a nephew that lives in Reno, and has a Ruger Mk4 pistol that he whats to sell to my friend that lives here in SoCal, what has to happen to do this deal? I thank you for any information that I can pass on!
Old 02-16-2020, 10:20 AM

Can’t do it. Not legal

Off roster handgun

Old 02-16-2020, 10:38 AM

The nephew moves to Ca, then the two Ca residents can do a PPT. Or your friend can move to Nevada, and buy it from his nephew.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:59 AM

How is that possible? People buy used, off roster hand guns all the time.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 02-16-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
How is that possible? People buy used, off roster hand guns all the time.
When both parties are residents of the same state
Old 02-16-2020, 11:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp62 View Post
I am truly asking this for a friend. He has a nephew that lives in Reno, and has a Ruger Mk4 pistol that he whats to sell to my friend that lives here in SoCal, what has to happen to do this deal? I thank you for any information that I can pass on!
Intra-family out-of-state transfers only apply to direct bloodline so it has to be his mother/father or his son/daughter that he is getting the gun from.
You can NOT do an intra-family out-of-state transfer with a brother/sister, aunt/uncle, cousin/niece/nephew or grandfather/grandmother.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave50 View Post
When both parties are residents of the same state
I may be missing something, but I see off roster guns being sold all the time in California. At least I think so.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 02-16-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I may be missing something, but I see off roster guns being sold all the time in California. At least I think so.
Yes, it is common and legal, when both parties are California residents. The scenario mentioned in op is NV resident selling to CA resident. That scenario would not be legal.
Old 02-16-2020, 1:25 PM

Got it. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2020, 2:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
By CA residents.
When both the buyer and seller are residents, the gun can transfer as a private party transfer through an FFL dealer.
Old 02-16-2020, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Intra-family out-of-state transfers only apply to direct bloodline so it has to be his mother/father or his son/daughter that he is getting the gun from.
You can NOT do an intra-family out-of-state transfer with a brother/sister, aunt/uncle, cousin/niece/nephew or grandfather/grandmother.
Is no Grandparents to grandchild a recent change? I've been looking in this excellent thread maintained by Librarian http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1179771 but can't find where grandparents are no longer allowed to transfer to their grandchildren, or vice versa.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 02-16-2020, 6:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Is no Grandparents to grandchild a recent change? I've been looking in this excellent thread maintained by Librarian http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1179771 but can't find where grandparents are no longer allowed to transfer to their grandchildren, or vice versa.
Don't know for sure but I always understood it to be 1 generation direct bloodline.
Grandparents traditionally give to parents and then parents give to children.
I don't know if you can bypass the generation and do it directly as well.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:30 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Don't know for sure but I always understood it to be 1 generation direct bloodline.
Grandparents traditionally give to parents and then parents give to children.
I don't know if you can bypass the generation and do it directly as well.
Nothing has changed.

Grandparent and grandchild is still considered immediate family. [PC 16720(b)]

Penal Code 16720
As used in this part, “immediate family member” means either of the following relationships:
(a) Parent and child.
(b) Grandparent and grandchild.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Closed Thread