Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-23-2020, 7:59 AM

Default Damn Cats!

Anyone seen my spotting scope?

Rats! Why is it on the floor? Uhoh, it doesn't feel right, Something's moving in the zipper case. I open it and discover that things are not OK. Not at all.

Gotta admit, it's all on me. Came back from the range several days ago and dumped everything on a table near the door. Hadn't gotten around to putting it away. The cats did what cats do ‒ everything is a cat toy that obeys the law of entropy and winds up on the floor. It's the way of the universe. Hard to stop kicking myself for this.

I check the website and the scope has a "limited lifetime" warranty. Wonder what that means?

"C" at Kowa-USA tells me this model is 20+ years old (guess I got my money's worth). They don't make it anymore, and they don't have parts for it. But if I'll send it to them ‒ they'll sell me today's equivalent of that model, at a discounted price. Not a bad deal but still, that works out to $500. Naturally, my old eyepiece won't work with the new scope, they changed the mount, so I'll need one of those too. That's another $200 (at the discounted price) so the total is $700.

Then it occurred to me that I have some brand new JB Weld in the cupboard and I might be able to cobble it back together. It will probably look like he77, but for $700 I'll put up with it and besides, it's a good story. (Well, maybe not a "good" story, but I'm easily amused).

I call Kowa‒USA again and I ask "C" ‒ If I try to repair the scope and it doesnít work, will they still offer me the discount purchase? I describe it as a win‒win. If it works, they won't hear from me again, and if it doesn't I'll still buy a new scope from them on the warranty trade‒in deal . She says that they will let me try the repair!

Besides the massive hole in the rear housing, where the eyepiece used to reside, there are several other cracks in the back end of it. And a small piece of the housing is missing. It's probably with the rest of the "stolen" cat toys. Somewhere there's a secret "cat place" that holds several pieces of brass, a brand new (cycled only once) dummy .44 Mag round, from when I was function testing my new Marlin SBL, and half a dozen Mason Jar sealing rings.

So here are the results. Looking out the back window, there are the tops of some tall trees about 157 yards away. I can see individual leaves. The field doesn't seem to be as flat as before, but for the cost of a tube of JB Weld (with quite a bit left over) I have my scope back.

Anyone else use Sugru? This pic shows some of it sealing up the hole left by the missing piece of the body. It was about an inch long and 1/4" wide.

Old 02-23-2020, 9:20 AM

Haha! Cats are the worst.

Nice repair, dude!!
Old 02-26-2020, 10:12 AM

So do you still have the cats?
Nice fix. Add a camo paint job and you are good.

My 7 year old wants a cat...
Old 02-26-2020, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Angry

Now to place the cat out about 150 yards, deploy spotting scope, and....

Old 02-26-2020, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

This is awesome.
Old 02-26-2020, 3:10 PM

Chinese restaurants are open.......oughtta at least pay for the JB weld!
Old 02-27-2020, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
So do you still have the cats?
Nice fix. Add a camo paint job and you are good.

My 7 year old wants a cat...
Yeah, still gottem. My daughter moved out a few months ago and took her cat with her. Fantastic cat that got along with all the dogs and had tons of personality to boot.

I soon missed the cat so much that we rescued two kittens, a brother and a sister, from the Burbank shelter. They're almost a year old now. This was my fault for not putting the scope away promptly after arriving home. Clyde was probably just stretching and knocked it onto the floor. No malice, just doing what cats do.

About your 7yo, I think it's good for kids to get pets. Teaches them responsibility and to care for a living creature, but if you're not a cat person it might not be a good idea. Cats can be very destructive and that may be difficult for some. We've had large dogs for many years and so the house (we thought) was relatively "cat proof," but cats can bring a new level of devastation to the scene. However, if you provide for their needs, scratch pads, scratch posts and some level of accommodation for their exploration needs, you can keep it to a minimum.

As to your suggestion for a camo paint job ‒ The scope lives in a padded nylon zippered case that stays on it, even when it's in use on a tripod, so it wouldn't be visible. Just gonna leave it alone and consider myself lucky.
Old 02-27-2020, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
Chinese restaurants are open.......oughtta at least pay for the JB weld!
You been watching the movie Gummo again havenít you?

Old 02-27-2020, 10:41 AM

Ah, hell, I'm in it for everything but the ben-gay!! Whoever he might be.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:44 PM

So ... the next weapon on your list should be a catapult.
Old 02-27-2020, 7:44 AM

very cool.....so many would have just tossed the scope.

and congatulations on the cats. were it not for my better half being terribly allergic i would certainly add a kitten to the menagerie. have a soft spot for most living creature
Old 02-27-2020, 10:46 AM

Never trust a Flerken.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:30 AM

Old 02-27-2020, 11:32 AM

Old 02-27-2020, 2:11 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigger hammer View Post
Anyone seen my spotting scope?

Rats! Why is it on the floor? Uhoh, it doesn't feel right, Something's moving in the zipper case. I open it and discover that things are not OK. Not at all.

Gotta admit, it's all on me. Came back from the range several days ago and dumped everything on a table near the door. Hadn't gotten around to putting it away. The cats did what cats do ‒ everything is a cat toy that obeys the law of entropy and winds up on the floor. It's the way of the universe. Hard to stop kicking myself for this.

I check the website and the scope has a "limited lifetime" warranty. Wonder what that means?

"C" at Kowa-USA tells me this model is 20+ years old (guess I got my money's worth). They don't make it anymore, and they don't have parts for it. But if I'll send it to them ‒ they'll sell me today's equivalent of that model, at a discounted price. Not a bad deal but still, that works out to $500. Naturally, my old eyepiece won't work with the new scope, they changed the mount, so I'll need one of those too. That's another $200 (at the discounted price) so the total is $700.

Then it occurred to me that I have some brand new JB Weld in the cupboard and I might be able to cobble it back together. It will probably look like he77, but for $700 I'll put up with it and besides, it's a good story. (Well, maybe not a "good" story, but I'm easily amused).

I call Kowa‒USA again and I ask "C" ‒ If I try to repair the scope and it doesnít work, will they still offer me the discount purchase? I describe it as a win‒win. If it works, they won't hear from me again, and if it doesn't I'll still buy a new scope from them on the warranty trade‒in deal . She says that they will let me try the repair!

Besides the massive hole in the rear housing, where the eyepiece used to reside, there are several other cracks in the back end of it. And a small piece of the housing is missing. It's probably with the rest of the "stolen" cat toys. Somewhere there's a secret "cat place" that holds several pieces of brass, a brand new (cycled only once) dummy .44 Mag round, from when I was function testing my new Marlin SBL, and half a dozen Mason Jar sealing rings.

So here are the results. Looking out the back window, there are the tops of some tall trees about 157 yards away. I can see individual leaves. The field doesn't seem to be as flat as before, but for the cost of a tube of JB Weld (with quite a bit left over) I have my scope back.

Anyone else use Sugru? This pic shows some of it sealing up the hole left by the missing piece of the body. It was about an inch long and 1/4" wide.