Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Default New to Reloading

I recently bought a 550b (brand new in box). Getting ready for first run of 9mm. I have everything except bullets. The Lyman book lists Federal as the test component for cases. I'm using once fired Winchester.

I am assuming the brand doesn't matter. Please verify.

I'm using the same primer and same powder (starting with the suggested load).

The bullet is my real question. They suggest 124gr jacketed HP. Do I have to use a jacketed HP or can I go with a jacketed round or jacketed flat bullet of the same weight and diameter?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:52 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

The HP and/or shape of the bullet doesn't matter much as long as you have the proper bullet weight for the load (or vice versa). Using the wrong bullet weight for a given load WILL affect things rather adversely.
Old 03-12-2019, 2:05 PM

Also if you change shapes. HP to RN your c.o.l. Cartridge overall length, Will need changed as well.

Great choice on 550!
Old 03-12-2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
The HP and/or shape of the bullet doesn't matter much as long as you have the proper bullet weight for the load (or vice versa). Using the wrong bullet weight for a given load WILL affect things rather adversely.
Thats kinda what I thought but being brand new to reloading I figured I should double check. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2019, 8:55 AM

Another question on diameters. Evidently you can get bullets 0.355", 0.356", 0.357" and I've read people loading up to 0.385" for 9mm. I'm thinking either 0.355" or 0.356". Does either have any advantage? disadvantage? Is it a personal preference? Will it affect the load? Am I overthinking this?
Old 03-13-2019, 7:22 PM

Slug your barrel to find diameter if you want to be exact.

I have used .356 with polymer lead and have tried a .355 recently and it works just fine.
Old 03-13-2019, 8:42 PM

I guess I didn't really answer your question very well.

To the best of my knowledge any jacketed bullets will be .355, I have not seen any otherwise.

The diameter bullet matters more when you are using cast lead. Cast lead should be .001 larger than the slugged bore diameter measured at the grooves, not the lands. The reason being is it gives a better grip and seal on the bullet as it forms to the barrel. Hence, better accuracy and cuts down on the potential for leading.

The barrels I load for measure .355 and have always used .356 124gn polymer coated rn. I recently tried a 115gn polymer rn of .355 dia. from Blue Bullett and they shoot great, it's one of those loads that you can feel in your hand that the gun really likes it. To me there is a peaceful feel to a gun when it runs just right with a particular load.

If you notice no leading and good accuracy, diameter isn't an issue.

Look up "From Ingot to Target" by Glen Fryxell, it is a great primer on cast bullets, they are cheaper and the polymer coated cast ones are great. Ive always had best results with a BHN of 12-16 range.

Zero experience with plated bullets.
Old 03-13-2019, 9:08 PM

I'm a new reloader too and I went with what the book recommended. So my first batch is .355, Rainier Bullet 124 gn JHP, with Winchester Primer, and deciding between Unique, Bullseye, Clays, and N.07 for powder.

I plan on sticking with one formula for 500 rounds or so. But I am also getting XTP bullets as well.

When I'm ready my questions will be about crimping.
Old 03-13-2019, 9:31 PM

Different brand cases will generally have minimal effect on load data, but....there are military and stepped cases in 9mm that might create a more notable effect. IMO if you're not charging near the top end the case and primer brand should not be an issue.

Bullet shape will change the OAL, data should be available from the bullet and/or powder manufacturer. There are some bullet types where the data changes a lot, but generally speaking the weight and construction (jacketed vs. lead or plated) will be the biggest factors.
Old 03-13-2019, 9:45 PM

Most people I know who shoot a lot have switched to the coated (not plated) lead bullets. Theyíre the ones that come in ďfunĒ colors. I use Bayou Bullets and like them, but there are probably at least 10 brands.

Donít buy too many until youíre sure your gun likes them. I tested six different 124gr bullets in my XDM when I got it and had groups range from 2 to 6 inches at 25 yards. Handguns can be finicky just like rifles.

If you donít mind spending the $$, Hornady XTPs are good jacketed bullets as are Montana Golds.

Iíve reloaded for 10+ 9mm handguns and none of them cared on .355 vs .356. In fact, by far the most accurate bullet in my XDM is the Montana Gold 130gr. .38 Super bullet, which is .357.

Stay away from really fast powders and max loads until you have some experience and youíll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 PM

Thank you all for your input. I'm really glad I asked. I was ready to buy 1000 of the same bullet and start reloading. I think I'm going to stick with the 124gr bullets but like scotty99 recommended, I'll probably try a few different kinds. I'm really interested to see if I'll be able to feel the difference.
Old 03-14-2019, 5:29 AM

Some of the bullet manufacturers/sellers offer small 'test' batches so you can see what works for your gun.
Old 03-14-2019, 9:28 AM

Depending on what you are aiming for hunting back up / paper
punching / home defense - which round is right .
How you reload - there are sizing dies . I use the for the 380 ,
9 mm and 38 special .
Just because you have a 9mm - barrel will determine bullet size .
Try test batches .
Old 03-14-2019, 12:39 PM

Jonn518

I just love crimping questions, it's actually a pretty cool subject.

CC

It's hard to describe what a good load feels like but it's definetly noticeable or maybe more appropriately its what you don't notice, vibrations can disappear, the slide might operate crisper and less movement of the gun in the hand. It might take awhile but one day you'll be trying something different and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It seems I've always run into some combo that made a gun run real sweet. Maybe a different bullet, a different seat depth or a powder change, some sort of tinkering with a long standing load or a curiosity about another product that lead to it.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:52 PM

Thanks again for your insights. It seems that every time someone gives me an answer, two more questions pop up. So here's two more questions for the seasoned reloaders.

1) Is there and end to this rabbit hole I'm getting sucked into?
2) As I hone my reloading skills, will my wife be more or will she be less pissed off than the day I brought the press home? Keep in mind I told her the whole idea was to save money in the long run. Oooof.
Old 03-14-2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiccioC View Post
Thanks again for your insights. It seems that every time someone gives me an answer, two more questions pop up. So here's two more questions for the seasoned reloaders.

2) As I hone my reloading skills, will my wife be more or will she be less pissed off than the day I brought the press home? Keep in mind I told her the whole idea was to save money in the long run. Oooof.

1) No, but youíre already sucked in so you may as well lean back and enjoy the ride.

2) Cost savings will materialize, but she will never see them. I suggest giving yourself a monthly budget and sticking to it. It is very, very easy to get carried away. And watch the time - donít make her into a bench widow.

All that being said, it is an enjoyable hobby, and a way to stay connected to shooting when you donít have time to actually get to the range. And there is great satisfaction in creating a load that makes your gun perform at its best.
Old 03-14-2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk518 View Post
I'm a new reloader too and I went with what the book recommended. So my first batch is .355, Rainier Bullet 124 gn JHP, with Winchester Primer, and deciding between Unique, Bullseye, Clays, and N.07 for powder.

I plan on sticking with one formula for 500 rounds or so. But I am also getting XTP bullets as well.

When I'm ready my questions will be about crimping.
Here's a similar thread if you're interested:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...coated+bullets
Old 03-14-2019, 5:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

.355" bullets are for 9mm and .380
.356" is an abomination
.357" is for .38 Special and .357 magnum/maximum
.358" is for 35 caliber rifle rounds, 358 Win, 35 Rem/Magnum, .358 Norma Mag, 35 Whelen, etc.

.385" is 9.78 mm which I've never heard of.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 03-14-2019, 8:57 PM

That's what makes reloading so great...always learning.

On the other hand I know people who make one load for one gun, they have learned enough to do that safely and no further.

I think what happens with a serious reloads is you do twice the shooting for the same price as factory ammo, so no, I don't save money but I shoot a lot more for the same amount.

Scotty's advice is great, time and money budgets are essential to keeping the wife happy and ultimately that makes the reloading experience much more enjoyable and the occasional indulgent purchase easier to justify.
Old 03-14-2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:

1) That completely depends on you.
2) That completely depends on you and her.

I thought I just wanted to make cheap ammo and be freed from the dependency on the ammo market, I'm also a never ending tinkerer so I wound up in the rabbit hole. But hey, you could be spending your free time and extra money on hookers & blow, or another reloading trinket and experiments. My "wife" has no say in my reloading or gun stuff unless I to ask her opinion. Wife is in quotes because we have no written contractual agreement.
Old 03-15-2019, 5:15 PM

I fell into the rabbit hole over 40 years ago. I don't think that there is a bottom!

When dealing with your wife. You need to learn the art of deception.
Notice, I did not say the art of lying.

Take her to a gun store and show her the price of the most expensive 9mm ammo that you can find. Then tell how much you are saving on reloaded ammo.

With cast boolits, I know people who use .357 and .358 diameter boolets.

The problem with 9mm, is that bore diameter can be all over the place. Toss in any hand guns made before or after ww2 and things can get really interesting.

The best way is to slug your bore.

Take care
Abenaki
Old 03-17-2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:

1. The hole is slippery but Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Stick to your goals whether its on paper, scores, or animals. Extra time and effort exhausted beyond accomplishing your goal is wasted.

2. My wife is acclimated to seeing me prepping brass- which is about 75% of my reloading effort. She WILL be aware that you are spending time hand loading. But at least she knows where you are and what you are doing most of the times! also, I saved at least $3000/year by not buying match grade rifle ammunition from a store.