Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Deals, Sales and Coupons
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Deals, Sales and Coupons Found a good deal or sale? Got a coupon or code? Share them here!

Old 03-14-2019, 2:34 PM

Default SimpliSafe 10-Piece Wireless Home Security System for $109.99

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/simp...6600b40a1c0e14
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping.
~Irish Blessing

Calguns, take me away...
Old 03-14-2019, 2:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Not bad man I would consider that
Old 03-14-2019, 2:55 PM

I got one for our cabin.
May He turn their ankles
~Irish Blessing

Calguns, take me away...
Old 03-14-2019, 4:39 PM

Nice price. Keep in mind that this is the discontinued old version, not compatible with the new version.
Old 03-14-2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlist View Post
Nice price. Keep in mind that this is the discontinued old version, not compatible with the new version.
Any thoughts on the new version versus the old version?

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post
The base station in the new version certainly looks much better. Given that the systems are not compatible, there could be some functional or performance differences as well but it's just my guess.
https://simplisafe.com/forum/custome...s-vs-older-sys
Old 03-14-2019, 5:27 PM

Good basic system. Monitoring is 14.99 a month. If your in la city, the lapd response is 15+ minutes. So don't expect help during a home invasion.

Ring has better alarm options and have really stepped up the alarm game ever since amazon bought them out.
Old 03-14-2019, 8:53 PM

Another vote fo Ring

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2019, 8:19 AM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JRBSSZ...&creative=9325
May He turn their ankles
~Irish Blessing

Calguns, take me away...
Old 03-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean michael View Post
Any comments on this system?

Old 03-15-2019, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

I use the new version and love it super reliable and monitor is fast and reliable. Forgot to close office door and dog set off motion sensor in the office while I was gone. I couldnt answer the phone since I was in a meeting and they called police since I didnt answer. From time stamp of alarm going off to police at front door on my camera time stamp was about 10 minutes.
Old 03-23-2019, 5:04 PM

I have the new system and LOVE it! In the new system, the sensors are much smaller than the old system. From what I have read on the forums, the new system is far superior to the old.

I was away and one of my window sensors fell off (my fault). My phone was ringing within 20 seconds. Since I was gone and didn't know whether the alarm was legit or not I told them to call the Sheriff. From alarm to LACo Sheriff arrival was about 4 minutes.

I got a smokin deal on it after black friday. From their website, they had 20% off plus a free doorbell. I also got one month free monitoring. At the same time, Amex was offering $100 off $250 with Simplisafe so I saved an extra $100 from my credit card. I think I saved like $600. (I added a lot of extra sensors and extra siren). The cheapest way to buy is get one of their pre configured systems, then add the extra's you want rather than building from scratch.

With Simplisafe, if you want to use the phone app, then monitoring is $25 a month. I use the phone app.

The reasons I chose Simplisafe over Ring was one, they have been in the alarm business for over 11 years. Two, they use a really good monitoring center. Three, they are NOT owned by Amazon/Bezos who likes to spy on you.

Simplisafe has an awesome forum BTW with lots of questions and answers.

My neighbor has ADT. He was robbed twice recently about a year apart. Both times the crooks turned over the house and were gone before the Sheriff arrived. I have heard ADT is really slow at making the notifications and calls.

BTW, speaking with the Sheriff when they responded to the neighbors break in, they recommended getting a camera system. They said that they hardly ever get a break in when there are visible camera's in front. In fact, he couldn't remember ever responding to a house that had camera's. He said the robber's generally shy away if they see cams outside.

Last edited by RotaryRevn; 03-23-2019 at 5:11 PM..
Old 03-23-2019, 7:06 PM

Junior40er and RotaryRevn, how much did you get fined for the po po to show up to a non-crime? How many freebies before they start charging for the wild goose chase?

Old 03-24-2019, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoWrench View Post
Junior40er and RotaryRevn, how much did you get fined for the po po to show up to a non-crime? How many freebies before they start charging for the wild goose chase?
I didn't get fined.... my city allows 3 false alarms a year. After that, the fine is minimal..... like $30ish for the next couple. After you are a few false alarms over the 3 limit, the fines eventually go up higher but not bad... not that anyone would have that many false alarms.

Last edited by RotaryRevn; 03-24-2019 at 8:21 AM..
Old 03-24-2019, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryRevn View Post
I have the new system and LOVE it! In the new system, the sensors are much smaller than the old system. From what I have read on the forums, the new system is far superior to the old.

I was away and one of my window sensors fell off (my fault). My phone was ringing within 20 seconds. Since I was gone and didn't know whether the alarm was legit or not I told them to call the Sheriff. From alarm to LACo Sheriff arrival was about 4 minutes.

I got a smokin deal on it after black friday. From their website, they had 20% off plus a free doorbell. I also got one month free monitoring. At the same time, Amex was offering $100 off $250 with Simplisafe so I saved an extra $100 from my credit card. I think I saved like $600. (I added a lot of extra sensors and extra siren). The cheapest way to buy is get one of their pre configured systems, then add the extra's you want rather than building from scratch.

With Simplisafe, if you want to use the phone app, then monitoring is $25 a month. I use the phone app.

The reasons I chose Simplisafe over Ring was one, they have been in the alarm business for over 11 years. Two, they use a really good monitoring center. Three, they are NOT owned by Amazon/Bezos who likes to spy on you.

Simplisafe has an awesome forum BTW with lots of questions and answers.

My neighbor has ADT. He was robbed twice recently about a year apart. Both times the crooks turned over the house and were gone before the Sheriff arrived. I have heard ADT is really slow at making the notifications and calls.

BTW, speaking with the Sheriff when they responded to the neighbors break in, they recommended getting a camera system. They said that they hardly ever get a break in when there are visible camera's in front. In fact, he couldn't remember ever responding to a house that had camera's. He said the robber's generally shy away if they see cams outside.

Simplisafe has been in the business for over 10 years. Unfortunately, the gen 1 system that is out and in use does not use encrypted data transfer between the base station and keypad. This means this information can be snagged and copied allowing an outsider to disarm your system and simplisafe would not know the difference.

It's been a while when a hacker exposed the flaw, but I think the system communicates at around 400mhz without encryption. I'm not sure if the new system is encrypted.

Now how many robber's are going around building devices to snag the signal. .probably not many but the flaw is there to be exploited. Simplisafe as far as I know didn't do much to combat it either. They would have gone out of business if the public was well informed about this and requested a fix. They can't update their system using firmware so your stuck there (that can work both ways good and bad)

Last edited by compshell; 03-24-2019 at 8:38 AM..
Old 03-24-2019, 9:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post

The base station on the old model is prone to interference. I have one at my business and it suffers from interference from the neighbor's system (at least that is according to simplisafe support).

Otherwise, the ability to have a monitored system for $25 a month without contracts is pretty good. We've had unsuccessful several break-in attempts and the system works each time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Osier77 View Post
If I ever build a tractor pull truck I'm naming it "Hobo Peen"

Last edited by bako88fan; 03-24-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Old 03-24-2019, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I have the old Gen 2 SimpliSafe system at another house of mine. Most of the time it works fine, but often it doesn't.

There are times where I'll de-activate the system at the keypad, and I won't get an email or text at all. Other times I'll get an email, but no text and visa-versa. There are also times the battery will go dead on a sensor or alarm and I'll receive no notification. I usually find out about the dead battery when I'm troubleshooting something else.

I'll probably replace it all with Gen 2 at some point. I wonder if they offer an upgrade path?

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 03-25-2019 at 8:15 AM.. Reason: error
Old 03-25-2019, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post

I'll probably replace it all with Gen 2 at some point. I wonder if they offer an upgrade path?
Unfortunately, at this time I don't believe they offer a deal for upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compshell View Post

They can't update their system using firmware so your stuck there (that can work both ways good and bad)
The third generation of Simplisafe does do updates of the firmware. I have owned mine since November last year and have been prompted by Simplisafe twice to update the firmware.

For those looking to buy one, my experience has been that it is cheapest to buy direct from their website. It seems they are always offering 15% or 20% off plus either a free doorbell or camera (doorbells cost is much higher than the cam). You may also be able to get a discount being a AAA member... I know there was a discount for members in the past.

If you can hold off until black Friday season, I'm sure they will be offering smokin deals again. If not, monitor their website often as the deals are always changing. Also if you use Amex, keep an eye on their deals by logging into the Amex website and checking the deals you can add to your card. As mentioned earlier, this saved me an extra $100 direct from Amex.

Last edited by RotaryRevn; 03-25-2019 at 8:34 AM..