Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 05-13-2022, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt22 View Post
Is that just a pump or pcp didn't realize how advanced pellet guns are now
It's a 1400fps break barrel with lead free pellets.
Old 05-13-2022, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks I ordered some gamo red fire 7.8 grains
Any others I should try out ?
Figured I'd sight it in at 20yards
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
Great choice. I would try some JSB Hades, HN Crow Magnums, and JSB Diabolo. Don't expect much expansion so accuracy will be your goal. The Crow Magnums make a nice thwop noise when hitting rats and don't go through in my Crosman.
These would be good first choices 😉
Old 05-13-2022, 7:31 PM

The above pellet suggestions are solid.
The best pellet speed is normally between 850-910 FPS (even slower is fine as long as they are accurate and have the FPE for a kill shot), depending on the gun/barrel. Pellets are not generally streamlined and not made for speed with most of the weight up front, so slower speed is the rule with pellets.
Old 05-14-2022, 5:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks I ordered some gamo red fire 7.8 grains
Any others I should try out ?
Figured I'd sight it in at 20yards
I have a .22 PCP Air Rifle that shoots the Daisy PrecisionMax Hollow Point Pellets very accurately. They are made from a soft lead alloy and have a huge HP cup so they expand well and are devastating on Ground Squirrels. They make them in .177 too so maybe give them a try.

https://www.daisy.com/product/daisy-...500-count-tin/
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 05-14-2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Good points. There are places in CA where you cannot hunt crows at all. Check your local regs ��
I dont think the state of CA allows the take of non game NATIVE birds like crows and ravens specifically. I have never heard of a "local" hunting reg, ie a town or county ordinance that supersedes the State regulations. Can someone that knows clarify this and the status of Corvids as pests to shot and killed ?

- thanks

Edit: found this quite quickly - https://fgc.ca.gov/Regulations/Curre...Game-Birds#485

§485. American Crow.
(a) Shotgun, Falconry, and Archery Seasons, and Bag and Possession Limits.
(1) Season: The first Saturday in December and extending for 124 consecutive days.
(2) Daily Bag and Possession Limits
Bag Limit: 24 crows per day
Possession Limit: double the daily bag limit
(3) Area: Statewide: see closure area (d) below
(b) Crows may only be taken by shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined, bow and arrow, and falconry. The take or attempted take of any crows with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 250.1, Crows may not be hunted from aircraft.
(c) No person shall kill or cripple a crow pursuant to this section without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the bird, and retain it in their actual custody at the place where taken or between that place and either: (1) their automobile or principal means of land transportation; or (2) their personal abode or temporary or transient place of lodging; or (3) a migratory bird preservation facility; or (4) a post office; or (5) a common carrier facility.
(d) Crows may not be taken in the following areas:
(1) Within the boundaries of the Trinity and Mendocino National Forests south of Highway 36.
(2) North and east of a line beginning at the mouth of the Eel River; south along the Eel River to the town of Alton; east on Highway 36 from the town of Alton to Highway 89 west of Chester; south and east on Highways 89 and 395 to Interstate 15 near Hesperia; south on Interstate 15 to Interstate 10; and east on Interstate 10 to the California-Arizona border.
(e) See Section 472(d) for the take of American crows causing depredation.

Last edited by Flouncer; 05-14-2022 at 4:40 PM..
Old 05-14-2022, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

I just saw there was a season and restricted areas listed on the dfw site. So I didn't want to advise anyone on a public forum to break any laws. Always check your local regs as they might be more restricted than the state.
Old 05-16-2022, 3:46 PM

Welp need to find another air gun this gamo is hit or miss can't consistently get smaller than a 4 inch group at 25 yards best I got was 2.5 inch with some Crossman pointers 7.4 gr don't know if I'm expecting to much I would hate to take a shot and graze one of these little demons
Old 05-16-2022, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

2moa is good for an air rifle. Few will actually shoot 1moa. Try more pellets. Just like any other rifled tube with chamber each has its own preferences.
Old 05-16-2022, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Not to mention those are the cheapest pellets made lol. It's not the rifle, gamos are known to shoot pretty well. You should expect ~0.5" at 25 yards. Also check your scope rings and then double check your scope rings. Also possible your scope is garbage.
Old 05-16-2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Not to mention those are the cheapest pellets made lol. It's not the rifle, gamos are known to shoot pretty well. You should expect ~0.5" at 25 yards. Also check your scope rings and then double check your scope rings. Also possible your scope is garbage.

It's the factory scope so could be ordered up some jsp and gamo pellets going to try some heavier pellets will 13gr be too heavy ?
Old 05-16-2022, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

Which 13gr are you looking at? I would focus on H&N and JSB and leave the gamo pellets at the store.
Old 05-16-2022, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear Tony. I don't use airguns. Doesn't work for my application. Found the retort of springers upset dogs around my property. Distances for me are maybe 20-25 yards. Good luck fixing that rodent prob.
Old 05-16-2022, 5:10 PM

The jsb diabolo 13.4 or h&n barracuda at 10.4 they also have a jsb knockout slugs at 13.4
Old 05-16-2022, 7:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yes those would be good to try. I would swap the knockouts for something in the 9gr range to try a few different weights.
Old 05-16-2022, 8:02 PM

So I ordered the diabolo the barracuda and the hornets at 8.8
Old 05-16-2022, 8:57 PM

Go look at Airgunnation.com for info on small pest control. You'll find answers to all your questions. It is an addictive hobby for sure.
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
They'll get my gas mower when they pry it from Jose's cold dead hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessdude View Post
If those darn coyotes want cat they can go to the chinese take out like everyone else.
Old 05-18-2022, 3:55 PM

These work waaay better my 22. Caught more than 120 one summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWkMkaUxV8
Old 05-18-2022, 3:56 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ranch-.../dp/B0046VE7VM
Old 05-18-2022, 8:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Welp need to find another air gun this gamo is hit or miss can't consistently get smaller than a 4 inch group at 25 yards best I got was 2.5 inch with some Crossman pointers 7.4 gr don't know if I'm expecting to much I would hate to take a shot and graze one of these little demons
Keep in mind that break-barrels often require about 200 to 500 rounds through them to break-in. Accuracy and precision usually improve with round count. I would also try heavier pellets.

Your gun probably isn't broken-in yet, and you haven't figured out which pellet it prefers. Buy several different brands and weights to try and figure out what it likes to eat.

But, 4" at 25 yards is pretty damn bad. There might be something wrong with it. It's probably the scope.

Use your cheap pellets to break it in while you search for and purchase heavier pellets. Swap the scope out for something better. Also pay attention to the mount. They often send you the mount bracket installed upside down.

If it still shoots like crap, return it and buy a PCP.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 05-20-2022 at 12:18 AM..
Old 05-19-2022, 7:56 PM

I had pretty decent group with H&N Field Target Trophy Power at 25yds but mine is .22 cal and 500 rnds break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk