Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:11 AM

Default New COE and FFL 03 Priviledges

When an individual is granted a new COE and FFL 03 permit in California are you only allowed to purchase ammunition for delivery to your own home?

Are you able to purchase a firearm for your own use as an FFL 03 carrier?
Old 12-26-2021, 1:15 PM

Read through this thread

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1495389
Old 12-26-2021, 2:24 PM

I believe these are the big ones when somebody has an FFL03 & COE:

1. Ammo can be purchased and sent to your house. But there are many vendors that will not sell to CA.
2. Long guns that are 50+ years old are cash and carry. Be sure to enter information into your acquisition/disposition binder. Paperwork must be filled out and sent to DOJ.
3. Handguns 50+ years old do not need a 10 day wait, but must still go through an FFL01.
4. Can waive the 1 in 30 rule for centerfire guns newer than 50 years.

What did I miss?
Old 12-26-2021, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkja View Post
I believe these are the big ones when somebody has an FFL03 & COE:

1. Ammo can be purchased and sent to your house. But there are many vendors that will not sell to CA.
2. Long guns that are 50+ years old are cash and carry. Be sure to enter information into your acquisition/disposition binder. Paperwork must be filled out and sent to DOJ.
3. Handguns 50+ years old do not need a 10 day wait, but must still go through an FFL01.
4. Can waive the 1 in 30 rule for centerfire guns newer than 50 years.

What did I miss?
Not to be added to the list but I think a useful side note...

It can help with justification for a CCW for example.. You collect guns and may have a valuable collection, even small collection will be desirable to criminals, you may be transporting these guns to remote areas, you may be leaving info with sellers AKA the general public.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 12-26-2021, 3:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Waives the 1 in 30 for anything.

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 12-28-2021, 3:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the links and information.
Old 12-29-2021, 2:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Not to be added to the list but I think a useful side note...

It can help with justification for a CCW for example.. You collect guns and may have a valuable collection, even small collection will be desirable to criminals, you may be transporting these guns to remote areas, you may be leaving info with sellers AKA the general public.
I live in Alameda county and I am thinking of applying for my CCW, do you think this is a good reasonable cause to put on my CCW application?
Old 12-29-2021, 11:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wussery View Post
Are you able to purchase a firearm for your own use as an FFL 03 carrier?
A 03 Curio & Relic FFL is a license to collect Curio & Relic firearms.

Consider yourself a museum with privileges' to shoot what is in your collection.

As a Federally licensed collector you can do three things.

1. ACQUIRE Curio and relic firearms into your collection.

2. HOLD said firearms in your collection.

3. DISPOSE of firearms from your collection.

You must keep complete records in your bound book related to ALL acquisitions and dispositions of ANY C&R firearm while you are licensed. That means if you dispose (sell) any C&R firearm while you are licensed (including those you owned before you were licensed) you must enter those dispositions (sales) into your bound book.

You must obey all local, County, State and Federal laws.

You can have your book and or premises inspected by the BATFE by appointment once a year, or more often if a crime is being investigated. The inspection may also include looking at the guns in your collection and comparing them to the listings in your book.

It's not a big deal. and in almost 40 years of being licensed I've had one inspection. It was a non issue.

California allows Federally licensed collectors to be exempt from a FEW state firearm, ammunition laws.

But the Feds don't care about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:20 PM

I’m applying for an FFL03 but don’t see the need of getting the COE because I reload most of my ammo today.

I was in a shop earlier today and the owner said in order for him to sell me a C&R firearm, I would need to have the COE in addition to my FFL03.

Is he correct? I didn’t think the COE was necessary, unless he was speaking in relation to not submitting a dros?
Old 12-31-2021, 6:45 AM
Banned

Exemptions for a CA resident with a valid C&R 03-FFL:
1. Importing a C&R firearm that they physically acquire while outside of CA without needing to utilize a CA FFL dealer. [PC 27585(b)(1) & 27565]

Exemptions for a CA resident with a valid C&R 03-FFL and valid COE:
1. No 10 day waiting period when acquiring a C&R firearm from a CA FFL dealer. [PC 27670]
2. No 1 in 30 day wait on handguns or semiautomatic centerfire rifles. [PC 27535(b)(9)]
3. Can be used as proof of CA residency. [PC 26845(b) & 11 CCR 4045 d.1.]
4. When acquiring C&R firearms, it is an exemption to needing a valid Firearm Safety Certificate. [PC 31700(a)(6)]
5. When acquiring C&R firearms, it is an exemption to needing to do a safe handling demonstration. [PC 26850(h) & 26860(g)]
6. Acquiring a C&R long gun from a non-FFL inside of CA without needing to utilize a CA FFL dealer. [PC 27966]
7. Acquiring ammunition from a person within CA without needing to utilize a CA DOJ licensed ammunition vendor. [PC 30312(c)(6)]
8. Either online or in person, importing ammunition acquired out-of-state without needing to utilize a CA DOJ licensed ammunition vendor. [PC 30312(c)(6) & 30314(b)(5)]