Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-31-2018, 7:57 PM

Well, they certainly are in "denial".
Old 12-31-2018, 8:38 PM

This looks like a standard 'form' denial of everything.

Nothing worth a mention. Blah, blah, blah.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
This looks like a standard 'form' denial of everything.

Nothing worth a mention. Blah, blah, blah.
Yeah that didn't take long to read...

Victoria "Tori" Rose Smith's life mattered.
Old 01-21-2019, 1:51 PM

This is funny.17 pages of denial
Old 02-03-2019, 8:20 AM

Default Neiboring states

Has Arizona, Nevada or Oregon enacted any laws that require it's citizens to prove they live in the state at the time they purchase ammunition?

It seems to me that this would be a prerequisite when requiring California residents to register to buy ammunition.
Old 04-01-2019, 1:28 PM

While not related, Judge Benitez's judgement/order in the magazine case gives me hope there will be a similar outcome in this case. Personally, a MSJ can't come quick enough. Prop 63 isn't looking too good for the anti-2A crowd.
Old 04-01-2019, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yea..... totally forgot that this is also before Benitez. Bacerra has got to be pissed that both of these Prop 65 boondoggles are in front of Benitez. He is going to tear through them again. When can we get an AWCA case in front of him?
Old 04-01-2019, 2:25 PM
Not a miracle worker
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Oh yea..... totally forgot that this is also before Benitez. Bacerra has got to be pissed that both of these Prop 65 boondoggles are in front of Benitez. He is going to tear through them again. When can we get an AWCA case in front of him?
Smile of the Day

Said by yours truly to an audience of nodding IRS employees.
Old 04-01-2019, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wait, what?! Oh, there is hope..

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 04-01-2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsthebomb View Post
Has Arizona, Nevada or Oregon enacted any laws that require it's citizens to prove they live in the state at the time they purchase ammunition?

It seems to me that this would be a prerequisite when requiring California residents to register to buy ammunition.
As I understand it, California residents do not have to register to buy ammo under Prop 63, but they do have to show proof of residence if they only want to pay$1 for the mandatory check against the APPS database. Otherwise it is $19 for a DOJ check--and which means (I am guessing) a waiting period to pick it up??? After all, the DOJ proclaimed loudly that it cannot process most purchase background checks in three days, but must have 10.
Old 04-01-2019, 5:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This makes me really happy.
Old 04-02-2019, 4:21 PM

This may be "outside the box" but after 7/1/2019, if the current law is enacted, could/would all CA COE holders have any standing against the State for double taxation/fees? The COE indicates that one is eligible to receive certain types of firearms and is already predicated on a background check. If the COE holder is "approved" by the State to receive firearm(s) (without designated waiting periods necessary in other transactions), why do they need separate approval and payment of on-going additional background fees to receive ammo?

If under the high capacity magazine judge's thought process a magazine is an "arm", why wouldn't ammunition be also an "arm" in this context?

Just wondering.....

ARFrog

Last edited by ARFrog; 04-02-2019 at 4:24 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
As I understand it, California residents do not have to register to buy ammo under Prop 63, but they do have to show proof of residence if they only want to pay$1 for the mandatory check against the APPS database. Otherwise it is $19 for a DOJ check--and which means (I am guessing) a waiting period to pick it up??? After all, the DOJ proclaimed loudly that it cannot process most purchase background checks in three days, but must have 10.
Isn't the $1 fee for the search against the AFS database? If so, then you have to have previously purchased a firearm to be listed in the AFS database. And presumably the proof of residence will need to match up against what is in AFS. Otherwise, it is time for the $19 fee.
Old 04-02-2019, 4:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Isn't the $1 fee for the search against the AFS database? If so, then you have to have previously purchased a firearm to be listed in the AFS database. And presumably the proof of residence will need to match up against what is in AFS. Otherwise, it is time for the $19 fee.
The agenda is to harmonize gun controls globally.
The next phase would be limiting purchases to calibers you have registered
Restricting purchases of all reloading supplies
Placing limits on amount of ammunition that can be purchased
Further restricting who is allowed to own what and for what valid purposes and how it may be stored
Further complicating the process of acquiring permits and creating a culture of compliance and privilege that encourages snitching.
If you look globally, that's just the trend they are attempting to force.
Old 04-02-2019, 4:49 PM

I don’t think this as clear cut as the magazine ban.

The state isn’t saying you can’t have ammunition nor is it limiting the quantity - indeed you can even mailorder as much as you want as often as you want - you just have to have the transaction processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.

We can hope that the law will be invalidated but i think it’s a tougher climb.

Now, the roster on the other hand ..........
Old 04-02-2019, 5:50 PM

Does this case repeal the face to face transaction law for online sales?
Old 04-02-2019, 6:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltstop View Post
I don’t think this as clear cut as the magazine ban.

The state isn’t saying you can’t have ammunition nor is it limiting the quantity - indeed you can even mailorder as much as you want as often as you want - you just have to have the transaction processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.

We can hope that the law will be invalidated but i think it’s a tougher climb.

Now, the roster on the other hand ..........
It's always incremental, that's the plan they have followed, and it's why you never compromise with them on anything ever.
Old 04-02-2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincnet11 View Post
Does this case repeal the face to face transaction law for online sales?
It seeks to. That is one of the remedies asked for.
Old 04-02-2019, 7:28 PM

Following Benitez' logic, ammunition is ALSO protected by the 2A, as a gun without ammunition is rather useless.

Since the average gun owner will buy many many rounds over time, the requirement that they pay a substantial "tax" (practically and proportionally) each time they purchase is unduly restrictive (particularly on poorer members of society). This requirement is clearly regressive and punitive against those most likely to NEED to defend themselves. Leftists should be outraged at this bias against poor folk!

I'm sure the argument is that by regulating access to ammo, "gun violence" can be reduced. In practical fact, it likely means that anyone able to will buy larger quantities than they otherwise might, so as to reduce the relative "tax burden". So the law actually does the EXACT OPPOSITE of it's intent.

Many of the "touchy feely/feelgood" laws are so poorly conceived as to be nothing but, as Judge Benitez so perceptively pointed out, an "experiment", consisting of throwing stuff out there, and see if anything "sticks". Of course that does not make good public policy, or make anyone actually safer.
Old 04-02-2019, 8:53 PM

So a $1 tax on as many rounds as you want to buy at one time is too much?
Old 04-02-2019, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure if this was brought up but it may not be a "burden" to those who live in or really near a city with lots of FFLs but for those who live in rural areas, it's a burden. Online sales are the only option.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 04-02-2019, 8:54 PM

Believe it or not, the Ninth Circuit has already confirmed that acquisition of ammunition is protected under the Second Amendment in another one of our cases, Jackson v. San Francisco.

For those craving more of Judge Benitez's opinions, the one in this case mostly denying California's motion to dismiss should be satisfying. It does not address the Second Amendment claim. But is still well written and reasoned.
Old 04-02-2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
CA-DoJ wouldn't see it as a tax. I imagine they would claim it as a 'fee' for implementing the system to perform the automated checking of the AFS database. Kind of like 'fee for service'....

Separately, isn't there a limit on how many rounds can be purchased at one time? Something like 300? Wasn't that one of Kim Rhode's objections, since she routinely goes through 2 or more flats (250 shells/flat) of shells per day she is practicing?
Old 04-03-2019, 7:18 AM

Heard it, read it, the max was 500 rounds. Restricted bulk. Government social experiment. Pretty restrictive if it means 500>= when it comes to multiple calibers, practice, & self defense. Eliminates stock piling.
Old 04-03-2019, 7:30 AM

<=500
Old 04-03-2019, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I find it telling that a man born in an authoritarian Communist County, does understand what the Republic and its Liberty is all about and these carpetbagger EuroTrash don't have a clue.

My own 5th Great Grandfather was arrested in Scotland, banished to the East Jersey Colony and sold into servitude by the British Crown, his crime, Presbyterians believed in separation between church and state and would not bow before the State Religion of the authoritarian Monarchy. His grandson got the last laugh in the American Revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrady@Michel&Associates View Post
Believe it or not, the Ninth Circuit has already confirmed that acquisition of ammunition is protected under the Second Amendment in another one of our cases, Jackson v. San Francisco.

For those craving more of Judge Benitez's opinions, the one in this case mostly denying California's motion to dismiss should be satisfying. It does not address the Second Amendment claim. But is still well written and reasoned.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 04-03-2019, 8:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday_hero View Post
Heard it, read it, the max was 500 rounds. Restricted bulk. Government social experiment. Pretty restrictive if it means 500>= when it comes to multiple calibers, practice, & self defense. Eliminates stock piling.
Like I said, this is all an agenda, it is a conspiracy and it is out in the open for anyone to look at.

http://www.smallarmsstandards.org/isacs/0310-en.pdf
http://www.smallarmsstandards.org/isacs/0330-en.pdf
http://www.smallarmsstandards.org/isacs/0410-en.pdf
http://www.smallarmsstandards.org/isacs/0430-en.pdf

http://www.smallarmsstandards.org/isacs/

Everything they are doing, everything they are proposing is all laid out, the campaigns they are running, the tactics they are using. All of it.

Never surrender a damn thing to this globalist scum.
Old 04-03-2019, 9:52 AM

Its no coincidence that 1st generation immigrants from parts of the world with oppressive authoritarian regimes are some of the staunchest supporters of 2a.

gun grabbing leads to totalitarianism at best, and we've all seen the worst.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:46 AM

I just became a member in CPRA. I just feel I really need to show my appreciation for their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2019, 10:57 AM

Default Is ammo a part of the 2nd ammendment

It seems to me the state is arguing both sides of this depending on what is convenient. The state argues that ammo is necessary to make a firearm function, and as such the ability to require a background check is legally enforceable. And on the opposite side, arguing that the ability to travel with a firearm/ammo from one state to another is not protected because ammo is not part of a firearm and does not enjoy the same protection..
Old 04-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

More awesomeness!!

Fcuk Newsmen and his ilk. I'll bet none of them served and signed a blank check to this fine country.

The roster should be next. Frankly, that should be even easier to defeat as it's been shown to be impossible to implement micro-stamping.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

Last edited by sonofeugene; 04-03-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Old 04-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Spent $299 for this text!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
More awesomeness!!

Fcuk Newsmen and his ilk. I'll bet none of them served and signed a blank check to this fine country.

The roster should be next. Frankly, that should be even easier to defeat as it's been shown to be impossible to implement micro-stamping.
Should be, I agree. However, the 9th disagreed with us both. It's up for SCOTUS review in the coming months.

Old 04-03-2019, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday_hero View Post
Wait, what? I thought that the law was if you wanted to SELL 500+ rounds/month you had to get a vendor's license...

If the law limits purchasing to <500 rounds then I need to refill SOON.
Old 04-03-2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Read the latest order denying the defendant's motion to dismiss.

Part of the issue is that the transfer has to be face-to-face. The judge states that it is required whether the vendor was one mile away or even much further. In addition, unless you're willing to pay for the delivery afterwards, you have to load and move your purchase.

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/...ndants-MTD.pdf
Old 04-03-2019, 1:21 PM
Not a miracle worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganob831 View Post
Wait, what? I thought that the law was if you wanted to SELL 500+ rounds/month you had to get a vendor's license...

If the law limits purchasing to <500 rounds then I need to refill SOON.
The limit on what one can sell, trade, or give away without a vendor's license is also un-Constitutional and amounts to an illegal takings.

It's the same as if someone selling a car was required by law to sell it to a car dealer.

Said by yours truly to an audience of nodding IRS employees.
Old 04-03-2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleCountryActuary View Post
The limit on what one can sell, trade, or give away without a vendor's license is also un-Constitutional and amounts to an illegal takings.

It's the same as if someone selling a car was required by law to sell it to a car dealer.
You forgot to mention the sale part of the transaction. As in: It's the same as if someone buying a car was required by law to buy the car from a dealer. The FFL is effectively a dealer license.
Old 04-03-2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Should be, I agree. However, the 9th disagreed with us both. It's up for SCOTUS review in the coming months.
It has been up for review 3 months now and no decision to accept or decline. The glass half full interpretation is that be thankful the petition hasn't been declined. The glass half empty interpretation is that they can't round up four votes to even consider the question.

Net-net, I have my fingers crossed for the case being accepted, but I am also not ruling out a denial. Three months is a bit long for a decision.
Old 04-04-2019, 5:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
It has been up for review 3 months now and no decision to accept or decline. The glass half full interpretation is that be thankful the petition hasn't been declined. The glass half empty interpretation is that they can't round up four votes to even consider the question.

Net-net, I have my fingers crossed for the case being accepted, but I am also not ruling out a denial. Three months is a bit long for a decision.
It hasn't even been to conference yet...
Old 04-04-2019, 8:29 AM

Quote:

The deadline to file a petition for certorari was extended, as was the time for the state to file a response. As a result, all of the briefing for the petition was only finished on March 18. The justices will consider the petition at their April 12 conference, at which time they can grant, deny, or "relist" the petition, which means they will consider it again at the next conference.
Old 06-28-2019, 7:19 PM

Bump.

With the pending July 1st date for $1/$19 additional taxes on ammunition purchases, I was wondering why no motion for preliminary injunction?