Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 08-05-2022, 3:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Pistol silencer question

Some of the threaded muzzle pistol barrels I got have an o-ring, I guess to help keep the thread protector on. Some of them do not. I've shot my pistol with the one that didn't come with an o-ring, and the silencer tends to unscrew itself pretty quickly. Like in one magazine.

Those of you who have shot your silenced pistols much, do you use the o-ring with the silencer, or do you take it off? I wouldn't think it's any kind of issue with concentricity because the threads are still there. The o-ring sure seems like it would keep the can tighter, longer, assuming it doesn't melt.
Old 08-05-2022, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Sig,
My pistons for my pistol caliber suppressor has an oring inside the piston/neilson device threads so that it helps keep it screwed on. If I had any pistols with an oring as part of the barrel threads, I would have to remove it because my pistons have one already. If my suppressor didnít, Iíd leave it on the gun. All that said, I always have a mechanics gloves suppressor hot pad with me and check that itís tight after every magazine. My .22 suppressor is threads only with no oring, so that one I really need to check after every magazine so I donít get a baffle strike if it walks loose.
Old 08-05-2022, 7:20 PM

I used to run an o-ring on my pistol barrels and it did help but my suppressor still loosened up. Now I run Griffin Armament’s CAM-LOK system and even when I have run my handguns hard my suppressors have not walked loose.

Suppressor twist on and off easily on 1/4 turn so no need to screw on/off and the 3-lug with taper adapter keeps it from walking loose. Another benefit with the CAM-LOK system is you no longer need to carry around different pitch pistons to change out for different pitched hosts. Before when I was shooting my 1911 in 45 (.578x28) if I wanted to use the same can on a 9mm (1/2x28) I had to change the piston. Then if I wanted to then use the same can on one of my Sigs I had to change the piston again because of the Sigs M13.5x1L thread. With the CAM-LOK you put a special piston in your suppressors (each unique to the can) and then a universal 3-lug style adapter onto the barrel.

With that setup I can run the same suppressor on different hosts without needing to change the piston. It’s revolutionary and I highly recommend it! Sure you have to buy adapters for each barrel and new pistons for your suppressors but the fact that they don’t walk off brings me peace of mind knowing my NFA item will not be damaged. Check it out on YT and see.

Last edited by Mac Attack; 08-05-2022 at 7:34 PM..
Old 08-05-2022, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Good info mac thanks!
Old 08-05-2022, 11:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I considered it when it first came out, but I have so many different pistols that I probably wouldn't put very many rounds through, it seemed like it wasn't a good fit for me.

I was surprised how dirty the piston and spring got. With factory jacketed ammo, the piston and spring got gunked up after only about 50-60 rounds.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
Sig,
My pistons for my pistol caliber suppressor has an oring inside the piston/neilson device threads so that it helps keep it screwed on. If I had any pistols with an oring as part of the barrel threads, I would have to remove it because my pistons have one already. If my suppressor didn’t, I’d leave it on the gun. All that said, I always have a mechanics gloves suppressor hot pad with me and check that it’s tight after every magazine. My .22 suppressor is threads only with no oring, so that one I really need to check after every magazine so I don’t get a baffle strike if it walks loose.
My SilencerCo/Blackhawk! pistons didn't come with o-rings, so I guess I'll try the one on the barrel.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2022, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Pistol silencer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post

I was surprised how dirty the piston and spring got. With factory jacketed ammo, the piston and spring got gunked up after only about 50-60 rounds.
.22lr is even worse. This is the lead build up after just 200 rounds of cci minimag on the 1st blast chamber baffle. Iím going to be picking up an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight here real soon.

Last edited by nitroxdiver; 08-07-2022 at 8:11 AM..
Old 08-07-2022, 1:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I expect that from a .22 can, did not expect so much fowling from .45. It was Federal Premium ammo too, not the cheap stuff. I'm not even sure where my tumbler is.
Old 08-09-2022, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I expect that from a .22 can, did not expect so much fowling from .45. It was Federal Premium ammo too, not the cheap stuff. I'm not even sure where my tumbler is.

Yea my spring on my pistol caliber cans gets pretty crappy also. Iíve also started putting a very light coat of white lithium grease on the piston where the spring rides.
Old 08-09-2022, 7:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Did I really say "fowling"? Oh well.

Would a regular vibratory tumbler work? It would be okay if it just took longer.

BTW you don't want to use it on aluminum baffles. That's why I chose the .22 can that I did - stainless baffles.
Old 08-09-2022, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
.22lr is even worse. This is the lead build up after just 200 rounds of cci minimag on the 1st blast chamber baffle. Iím going to be picking up an ultrasonic cleaner from harbor freight here real soon.
Not sure what suppressors are made from, but if it is aluminum, ultrasonic cleaner might be a bad idea.

Took a Kaw Valley Muzzle brake that was aluminum to the ultrasonic, and almost ate the aluminum. The finish was there, but the metal gotten brittle.
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by CheapBloke; 08-09-2022 at 8:10 PM..
Old 08-10-2022, 5:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapBloke View Post
Not sure what suppressors are made from, but if it is aluminum, ultrasonic cleaner might be a bad idea.

Took a Kaw Valley Muzzle brake that was aluminum to the ultrasonic, and almost ate the aluminum. The finish was there, but the metal gotten brittle.

This one in the photo is 100% stainless steel. Tube, baffles, and end cap. MFR recommends ultrasonic cleaning for this particular can. Great point about ultrasonics and aluminum though.
Old 08-10-2022, 7:12 AM

For cleaning my suppressors I have tried ultrasonic cleaning, ďThe DipĒ and manually scrubbing with solvent. My new method for cleaning my aluminum and stainless suppressor is to use a soda blaster. It does a great job getting off the carbon deposits but makes a mess.
Old 08-10-2022, 8:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Silencer Shop did an article on that a few years ago. You should be able to just do it in your back yard, right? I guess a tiny bit of lead would come off, but the soda should be harmless(?)
Old 08-10-2022, 8:16 AM

I do my cleaning in the yard. Some say that the soda will kill grass but I have not experienced that ..yet. I bought a $30 soda blaster and a $10 50 lb bag of soda from Harbor Freight that connects to my compressor. Since I donít clean my serviceable cans too often the cheap unit works for me. But if I was cleaning more frequently I would invest in a blast cabinet.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I wish I could find something that reliably kills grass. I've tried weed killer, I've tried salt, and the damm stuff keeps growing.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I wish I could find something that reliably kills grass. I've tried weed killer, I've tried salt, and the damm stuff keeps growing.
Cat Piss.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1811040

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 08-10-2022, 6:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
For those not familiar with what Sig is talking about, hereís my piston and spring after only 10 rounds of 9mm fmj through an FN509 tactical and a dry rugged obsidian suppressor.
Old 08-10-2022, 6:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
That only works temporarily, assuming I don't burn my house down. My dad used to periodically burn our lawn, and then it would grow back bigger, like whiskers.
Old 08-11-2022, 6:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That only works temporarily, assuming I don't burn my house down. My dad used to periodically burn our lawn, and then it would grow back bigger, like whiskers.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/H...0355/309396387

Back on topic. Iíve never used an o-ring with my direct threads, but I mostly run some sort of QD attachment. KeyMo on rifles, tri-lug on large frame pistols and PCCs. The adapters are Rocksett-ed in place. I donít shoot long strings with a can that I always have the opportunity to check the can with a suppressor mitt. If I were to keep a suppressor attached for long term like I plan on my bolt rifle, Iíd probably use Rocksett.

Old 08-11-2022, 6:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The o-ring actually worked well. In fact, the coupler unscrewed from the can when I went to remove it. I don't envision much use of cans on a pistol, I've only function tested so far. Other people have shot my .45 can more than me.

Do they make silicone o-rings? I should probably use those instead of rubber ones that could melt.
Old 08-11-2022, 6:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Of course. https://www.grainger.com/category/ha...1&gclsrc=3p.ds

But if suppressor heat can discolor Cerakoting, can silicone survive?

Old 08-11-2022, 6:54 AM

I shoot my pistol cans more than my rifle cans. I used standard O-rings; the black type youíd buy for your sink faucet at THD. The O-rings did an ok job of keeping the cans locked in but they still loosened up. I have had people with more experience than me tell me that they use white plumbers/compression tape with better results but I never tried it.

I never worried whether they were silicone or rubber and Iíve fired thousands of rounds through my pistol suppressors. Just make sure that the O-rings do not cause the suppressor to mis-align which could cause a baffle strike.

Honestly, I recommend the Griffin CAM-LOK or their new EZ-LOK system if you are concerned about changing pistons and cans walking off.