Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2022, 4:31 PM

Default Confused on Residency Proof: W-2 & Deed Ok?

Like many, I moved and my Real ID doesn’t match my current address.

I can get a new copy of my cars registration but that’s only 1 piece, also $21 even though I just freaking renewed.

What else would work?

A replacement drivers license, $30, will take 2-4 weeks. I just DROS’d today.

I own a rental property, would a mortgage statement work? I read a w-2 would work as well.

Gun store said a fishing license also works. That’s $18 and essentially throwing it away though.

Would a lease agreement or PG&E bill and car registration be enough?
Old 08-03-2022, 5:01 PM

You need to provide documents with an address that matches what the DMV has for you.

Federal law will require you have a combination of government-issued documents that have your name, address, date of birth, and photograph. You can usually supplement with a DMV printout with your current address. A utility bill from a government entity, such as SMUD or LADWP counts as government-issued. A W-2 is not government issued.

Californian law requires California driver license or California ID card. If the driver license or ID card says "Federal limits apply," then additional documents are required under California Code of Regulations Title 11, section 4045.1, such as a birth certificate.

For handgun purchases, Californian law requires proof of residency separate from the license/ID card, such as a utility bill. The list for that is at https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#14G A W-2 is not sufficient for proof of residency in California.
Old 08-03-2022, 5:17 PM

I just use a power bill. Has the address and my name right at the top.
Old 08-03-2022, 5:18 PM

My FFL's seems to appreciate simple
Old 08-03-2022, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ View Post
You need to provide documents with an address that matches what the DMV has for you.

Federal law will require you have a combination of government-issued documents that have your name, address, date of birth, and photograph. You can usually supplement with a DMV printout with your current address. A utility bill from a government entity, such as SMUD or LADWP counts as government-issued. A W-2 is not government issued.

Californian law requires California driver license or California ID card. If the driver license or ID card says "Federal limits apply," then additional documents are required under California Code of Regulations Title 11, section 4045.1, such as a birth certificate.

For handgun purchases, Californian law requires proof of residency separate from the license/ID card, such as a utility bill. The list for that is at https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#14G A W-2 is not sufficient for proof of residency in California.
I called the DMV and they have my current updated address on file linked to my drivers license number. However I do not have the actual new drivers license card.

I can go to AAA and print a new car registration in about three days.

I am hoping that my car reg and a utility bill will be enough but I’ll bring as many documents I have.

I’ll pay for the new drivers license but I don’t like the idea of waiting possibly 4 weeks for it.
Old 08-03-2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
I am hoping that my car reg and a utility bill will be enough but I’ll bring as many documents I have.
Unexpired car registration is a government-issued document that satisfies federal requirements as well as California's proof of residency requirements for handgun purchases.
Old 08-03-2022, 6:26 PM

Car registration or a fishing license will satisfy both the federal and California requirements.
Old 08-03-2022, 6:43 PM
retired Goon

Applicable CA laws/regulations...

Penal Code 27540
A dealer, whether or not acting pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 28050), shall not deliver a firearm to a person, as follows:
(c) Unless the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm presents clear evidence of the person’s identity and age to the dealer.

Penal Code 16400
As used in this part, “clear evidence of the person’s identity and age” means either of the following:
(a) A valid California driver’s license.
(b) A valid California identification card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Penal Code 26845
(a) No handgun may be delivered unless the purchaser, transferee, or person being loaned the firearm presents documentation indicating that the person is a California resident.
(b) Satisfactory documentation shall include a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, a property deed, or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within this state, or other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice.
(c) The firearms dealer shall retain a photocopy of the documentation as proof of compliance with this requirement.

California Code of Regulations Title 11 Division 5 Chapter 4 Article 1 Section 4045
Definitions and Requirements.
The following definitions and requirements apply to documents intended to serve as evidence of residency for the acquisition of a handgun pursuant to Penal Code section 26845:
(a)(1) “Utility bill” means a statement of charges for providing direct service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection), or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.
(2) The utility bill statement date must be within three months of the current date.
(A) The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
(B) The individual's residential address as it appears on the individual's California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
(b)(1) “Residential lease” means either of the following:
(A) A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time.
(B) A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.
(2) The residential lease must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
(A) The individual's current residential address as declared on the DROS form.
(B) The individual's address as it appears on the individual's California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
(c)(1) “Property deed” means either of the following:
(A) A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust.
(B) A valid Certificate of Title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to the individual's property of current residence.
(2) The property deed must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
(B) The individual's address as it appears on the individual's California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
(d) “Other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice” means either of the following:
(1) A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
(2) A valid peace officer credential issued by a California law enforcement agency to an active, reserve, or retired peace officer.

California Code of Regulations Title 11 Division 5 Chapter 4 Article 2 Section 4045.1
Additional Documentation Requirements for Eligibility Checks with Federal Non-Compliant California Driver License or Identification Card.
This section applies to all firearms, ammunition, and firearm precursor part eligibility checks, including any eligibility check described in Division 5. For the purposes of this section, “eligibility checks” refers to background checks based on any application or report for which an applicant is required to submit a driver license or identification card, or the number from a driver license or identification card, so that the Department of Justice may determine the applicant's eligibility to possess a firearm, ammunition, or firearm precursor part under state or federal law.
(a) For all eligibility checks, a copy of the applicant's California driver license or identification card, or out-of-state driver license, if applicable, shall be submitted, as specified in subdivisions (d) through (g).
(b) For all eligibility checks, if the applicant presents a federal non-compliant California driver license or identification card with the notation “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, the applicant shall also submit proof of lawful presence in the United States, as specified in subdivisions (d) through (g), in the form of one of the following documents:
(1) Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
(2) Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate (issued by a city, county, or state vital statistics office). “Abbreviated” or “Abstract” certificates are NOT accepted.
(3) Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545), Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (FS-240), issued by the U.S. Department of State.
(4) Valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. immigrant visa and approved Record of Arrival/Departure (I-94) form.
(5) Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory.
(6) Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Citizenship.
(7) Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card.
(c) For all eligibility checks, if the applicant's name as it appears on the federal non-compliant California driver license or identification card differs from the name on the proof of lawful presence document submitted in accordance with subdivision (b), the applicant shall also submit, as specified in subdivisions (d) through (g), one of the following certified documents:
(1) An adoption document that contains the legal name of the applicant as a result of the adoption.
(2) A name change document that contains the applicant's legal name both before and, as a result of, the name change.
(3) A marriage certificate.
(4) A dissolution of marriage document that contains the legal name of the applicant as a result of the court action.
(5) A certificate, declaration or registration document verifying the formation of a domestic partnership.
(6) A dissolution of domestic partnership document that contains the legal name of the applicant as a result of the court action.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-03-2022, 11:14 PM

My REAL ID address from 10 years ago does not match up to my DROS address; Vehicle Registration always sufficed.

I've even used a Jury Duty service letter (since they pull info directly from DMV records) to DROS before; never had an issue.

Just renewed my Real DL today and can't wait to not have to bring a 2nd form of residency!
Old 08-04-2022, 4:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Cell phone bill that matches your new address works.

If you did a change of address with DMV online, did you print a copy? That and your ID plus cell or utility bill will be enough.
CGN and NVS
Old 08-05-2022, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911 View Post
Cell phone bill that matches your new address works.
A cell phone bill is not a utility bill, because a cell phone is mobile and not fixed in location.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ View Post
A cell phone bill is not a utility bill, because a cell phone is mobile and not fixed in location.
Interesting as a cell phone bill was good for proof of residency when applying for a CCW.

I stand corrected.
CGN and NVS

Last edited by RP1911; 08-06-2022 at 12:21 PM..