Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > New to Calguns? Check here first!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New to Calguns? Check here first! Introductions, How to's, FAQ's and posts of interest to new members.

Old 04-08-2013, 8:06 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Moving to CA? Read these FAQ articles from the Calguns Foundation Wiki

Link to the main page of the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

What to know when moving here -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in..._with_firearms

How to legally transport your guns -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...e=Transporting

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 12-06-2017 at 4:34 PM..
Old 06-02-2014, 9:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15intheDESERT View Post
I recently moved from NV I have glock mags and PMAGS is it true if I take the mags apart and leave the disassembled they are legal?
Just to catch this one - it WAS legal in 2013, it is highly likely ILLEGAL in 2014 and going forward.

For the 2013 and earlier situation, "leave them disassembled" is critical.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 08-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D34DP007 View Post
Moving back to Cali. I am in possession of Glock 26 Gen4 and Ruger LCRx. Both SSE and DROS are unclear to me. Does it apply to my pistols, or am I misreading the text?
Moving to CA, neither DROS nor SSE has any application to guns you bring with you. Assuming no 'assault weapons' or things like the Taurus Judge (a CA short-barreled shotgun), all you need do is register the guns with the New Resident form.

I thought the wiki link was clear on that ...

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 10-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmst View Post
How does the handgun safety certificate play into this?
Moving here? It doesn't.

The HSC (next year the FSC) applies when purchasing a gun in CA.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camedic View Post
Here is a link to the official D.O.J. link to firearms which are legal in California:

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
Since this is a thread about moving to CA, and the Roster does not apply to guns moved here, that is uninteresting.

Further, 'legal in California' is a mistake. It should be 'legal for FFLs in California to sell to non exempt buyers in non-exempt transactions' - it has nothing to do with owning or using.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-21-2015, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

Did the Wiki not survive the mess last month?
Old 01-13-2016, 1:56 PM

Default Where is the wiki?

I think this post needs updating - links are not valid.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2016, 2:06 PM
Administrator

They were OK, up until a couple days ago

Try this main link to the wiki info -- https://web.archive.org/web/20131021....php/Main_Page -- and use the upper-right arrows to force the WAYBACK machine to load the most recent versions, OCT 27, 2015 for most.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 03-13-2016, 10:34 AM

Hi CalGuns - I'm moving to California from Virginia next month, and needed to look at my options.

It seems a lot of these links are broken, and I am unable to load a reference on the web.archive.org from OCT 27 2015, best I see is from 2013.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2016, 1:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaksel View Post
Hi CalGuns - I'm moving to California from Virginia next month, and needed to look at my options.

It seems a lot of these links are broken, and I am unable to load a reference on the web.archive.org from OCT 27 2015, best I see is from 2013.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
The save-date depends on the last time a page was changed. The main page, being mostly a collection of links deeper, has not changed much. Follow the links off the page, and you will ordinarily get the latest saved version. If not, look at the top of the WAYBACK display, and see the arrow-indicators; click on the rightward pointing arrow until it 'grays out' and you will have reached the latest.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-17-2016, 4:11 PM

Figured I'd finally register and ask the remaining questions I have for my upcoming move from Seattle. Almost all my questions have been answered by this forum, thank you guys for all the great info!

The only remaining questions I have are.
1: I see a lot of people posting pictures of their AR's with 30round pmag's why is that? Aren't 30rounders banned? I'm starting to get rid of most of my 30rnd mags but if I can save any of them I would be so friggin happy.

2: I have a .458 socom upper. As we all know they utilize regular AR mag's.
I have several mag's that i've put a .458 follower into and a new spring, these are still illegal right? Even though they can't accept 5.56 anymore their originally sold as 5.56 so they can't be brought with me? FYI each of the mags I have only hold 10rnds at capacity, but this shouldn't matter right?
I'm prepared to buy some dedicated .458 mags but they look exactly like AR mags, am I going to be screwed by this?

3: WTF is with G43 prices? Do I need to buy like 10 of these things and sell them when I get to CA?

4: Lastly, my CWP from WA means absolute dick in CA right? I take it CWP's are harder to get in CA but exactly how hard are they to get would you say?

Last edited by petosat; 04-17-2016 at 4:14 PM.. Reason: added one more question
Old 04-18-2016, 5:24 PM

Hi,

I, too will be moving from texas.

From what I know 30 round pmags only allowed in the state of california with block in the mag to allow only 10 rounds.

Is it still true that all colt ar15s are banned due to being on the list? Has there been a change in law somewhere to allow colts in California. Reason why im asking is because ive stumbled upon some posts saying it can be done once modified then some people saying thats not true. I also see colt is selling california versions with bullet button on their site.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/C...liant-Carbines

I am still searching everywhere for the most updated law about banned guns and if they can be made legal. What are my options? Can i still just get a stripped lower and swap things over as well as make it meet california standards then register it within 60 days?

Thanks in advance. I will update this post as i find more answers but i need to catch up with the latest laws.
Old 04-18-2016, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levelone View Post
Is it still true that all colt ar15s are banned due to being on the list?
It depends on what model number/name is engraved on it. If it says Colt AR15, it is banned, if it says Colt 6920 (or something else other than AR15) it is OK.

Don't worry that it doesn't make sense, it is the California way. If it is not listed by name and model number then it would be OK as long as it had a bullet button and 10 round mags. Here is a link to the flow chart: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
Old 04-18-2016, 6:13 PM

Yes on the buy 10 off roster guns and unload once you get to CA
Old 04-18-2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob View Post
It depends on what model number/name is engraved on it. If it says Colt AR15, it is banned, if it says Colt 6920 (or something else other than AR15) it is OK.

Don't worry that it doesn't make sense, it is the California way. If it is not listed by name and model number then it would be OK as long as it had a bullet button and 10 round mags. Here is a link to the flow chart: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Thanks for the clarification. The one i have has m4 carbine on it as well as the colt logo. No ar15 wording on my lower.Also no wording for sporter, match target, nor law enforcement 6920. I now have hope and might not have to sell it after all. I do have to get rid of my taccon 3mr and slidefire though as I know those are illegal.

So once i get the bullet button the flash hider muzzle and telescoping stock can stay?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2016, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

My thoughts on your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosat View Post
Figured I'd finally register and ask the remaining questions I have for my upcoming move from Seattle. Almost all my questions have been answered by this forum, thank you guys for all the great info!

The only remaining questions I have are.
1: I see a lot of people posting pictures of their AR's with 30round pmag's why is that? Aren't 30rounders banned? I'm starting to get rid of most of my 30rnd mags but if I can save any of them I would be so friggin happy.

There was a window period to register “assault weapons” so they could be registered assault weapons (RAWs) or they could have bullet buttons and are using 30 round mags blocked to only hold 10 rounds.

Magazines blocked to hold only 10 rounds, or less, are OK

2: I have a .458 socom upper. As we all know they utilize regular AR mag's.
I have several mag's that i've put a .458 follower into and a new spring, these are still illegal right? Even though they can't accept 5.56 anymore their originally sold as 5.56 so they can't be brought with me? FYI each of the mags I have only hold 10rnds at capacity, but this shouldn't matter right?
I'm prepared to buy some dedicated .458 mags but they look exactly like AR mags, am I going to be screwed by this?

In theory, as long as they only hold 10 rounds you should be OK. That’s not to say that a misunderstanding won’t occur should you come to an LEO’s attention. Having 10 - .458 snap caps to verify capacity might go a long way.

3: WTF is with G43 prices? Do I need to buy like 10 of these things and sell them when I get to CA?

They cannot be sold to the general public because they are not on the state’s roster of “not unsafe handguns”, and yes that is just as lame as it sounds. They can be sold to LEO’s who are roster exempt, they can be sold to regular folks through face to face, private party transactions (PPTs), they can be brought in to the state by folks moving here and they can be gifted from out of state children, parents or grandparents to CA residents in an up or down fashion (parent to child, grandparent to grandchild, etc.) but not between brothers, sisters, uncles, etc.

Be careful of the new ATF&E rules on who is a private seller and who needs an FFL.

4: Lastly, my CWP from WA means absolute dick in CA right? I take it CWP's are harder to get in CA but exactly how hard are they to get would you say?

Correct. While they are valid statewide, licenses to carry are generally issued by the county sheriff. Each sheriff has different rules about who can have a license. Some sheriff’s consider “self defense” as a valid reason, some basically won’t issue and some appear to issue only to friends, celebrities and campaign contributors.

Here is a link to the CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY section: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=377

Last edited by SoCal Bob; 04-18-2016 at 8:33 PM.. Reason: words and things
Old 04-18-2016, 7:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levelone View Post
So once i get the bullet button the flash hider muzzle and telescoping stock can stay?
As long as the lower receiver is not banned by name then those features are fine, as long as you have a bullet button and use magazines holding only 10 rounds or less.
Old 04-18-2016, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob View Post
As long as the lower receiver is not banned by name then those features are fine, as long as you have a bullet button and use magazines holding only 10 rounds or less.
Thank you so much!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:11 PM

Hello, I am moving to california next month from colorado, gonna be a sad day for me. I have some home built rifles with no serial numbers. by california law do I have to register them on the New Resident Report Firearm Ownership Form? I couldnt find any information on this? thanks
Old 04-25-2016, 1:41 PM
Administrator

You bring them, you need to register them.

In the serial number box(es), honestly enter 'no serial number' without further comment.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-25-2016, 3:46 PM

Thanks for the info Librarian
Old 04-25-2016, 8:21 PM

For the past few days wiki.calgunsfoundation.org is redirecting to the top level site. Is there a mirror anywhere?
Old 04-25-2016, 9:26 PM
Administrator

https://web.archive.org/web/20151122....org/Main_Page works.

Can't update that copy, but until we get some new laws next year, we can limp along.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 05-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Thanks for all this wealth of info (on the site, wiki, etc). Moving from VA to CA over the summer and getting all my ducks in a row. which means selling what I can't bring, and buying in VA what I can't get in CA.

Also need to install some mag blocks on my magazines. sad, sad, sad
Old 07-18-2016, 6:53 AM

So with the new laws just passed in the beginning of the month....what does that mean for those of us moving to CA now?
Old 07-18-2016, 9:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessmachine View Post
So with the new laws just passed in the beginning of the month....what does that mean for those of us moving to CA now?
Since it all goes into effect in 2017 (or perhaps later, depending on the proposition), there are no direct effects for 2016.

Except, if one wishes to register an 'assault weapon' as newly defined, must have it here in state before 1 Jan 2017.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 09-14-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Since it all goes into effect in 2017 (or perhaps later, depending on the proposition), there are no direct effects for 2016.

Except, if one wishes to register an 'assault weapon' as newly defined, must have it here in state before 1 Jan 2017.
So, if I move to CA in February of 2017, will I be able to bring my "assault weapon" with me or will I need to leave it behind? Also, it needs to be registered by December 31st 2017 as an "assault weapon" correct? Does the "by end of 2016" only apply to "assault weapon" purchases in CA?

Last edited by ThefoolMontey; 09-14-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Old 09-15-2016, 5:42 PM

I am from ILLINOIS and moving to Sacramento California on Feb 2017. I have concealed carry permit and FOID card, plus I shoot USPSA right now I have STI Open gun with 30rds mag. and STI LIMITED with 20rds mag. can I bring all my competition guns to California with them magazines? or I need to leave the magazines in ILLINOIS. or maybe disassembled them? I Need any advice.
Old 12-15-2016, 7:05 PM

I may be moving to CA and found the outdated info on this thread pretty useless. Here is the CA DOJ website section for people moving to CA or "INFORMATION FOR NEW CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS" ( https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991 ) I found this very helpful, particularly the bottom of the page in the section called "Assault Weapons" and this PDF linked there:

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...ms/awguide.pdf
Old 12-15-2016, 7:29 PM

Moving to California? Consider other options first.
Old 12-15-2016, 8:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega21 View Post
I may be moving to CA and found the outdated info on this thread pretty useless. Here is the CA DOJ website section for people moving to CA or "INFORMATION FOR NEW CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS" ( https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991 ) I found this very helpful, particularly the bottom of the page in the section called "Assault Weapons" and this PDF linked there:

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...ms/awguide.pdf
It's cute when the DOJ folks get into the Christmas eggnog ...

Outdated you say. Like, perhaps November of 2001 outdated, as that 'awguide' is? That doc was crap then, and remains crap now.

No, except for the still unknown-in-detail implementation of the 'assault weapon laws' of the 2016 session and election, not much has changed for moving here.

It has long been illegal to move here with what CA calls an 'assault weapon' - the definition of what is included in that group has changed for 2017, and nobody knows exactly what is happening with that.

It has long been illegal to bring 'large capacity magazines' when one moves here - the change is that previously legal mags become illegal next year.

It's still true that, absent 'assault weapons' and things like machine guns, it's legal to bring all of your guns, and one is required to report the whole set to the state.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-17-2017, 10:42 PM

hey guys, newbie from NY here, and see that this thread is old, but im wondering if the laws changed?

do u have to register or "roster" a shotgun?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9ALLDAY View Post
hey guys, newbie from NY here, and see that this thread is old, but im wondering if the laws changed?

do u have to register or "roster" a shotgun?
Beginning 2014, people moving to CA must register both handguns and long guns they bring to the state.

There is no 'roster' for any long gun.

Big change for 2017 was the re-definition of 'fixed magazine' and 'assault weapons'; if you did not have such a piece in CA in 2016, cannot bring it today, unless the gun would be 'featureless'.

Lots of info in the Laws forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=349

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 12-17-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Beginning 2014, people moving to CA must register both handguns and long guns they bring to the state.

There is no 'roster' for any long gun.

Big change for 2017 was the re-definition of 'fixed magazine' and 'assault weapons'; if you did not have such a piece in CA in 2016, cannot bring it today, unless the gun would be 'featureless'.

Lots of info in the Laws forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=349

Good to know! thank you so much!