Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-18-2021, 8:16 PM
Veteran Member

Default Thoughts on Chrome lined vs non-chrome lined AR 308 barrel?

What do you guys think of chrome lined versus non-chrome lined barrels? For the .308 AR? A2
Old 09-18-2021, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Still supposed to clean the **** first chance you get after each use no matter what type it is. You already know that though.
Old 09-18-2021, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Jar,

Just picking peoples brains. A2
Old 09-18-2021, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

The chrome lined ones last three times as long, but aren’t as accurate, but not by a whole lot as I understand. Likely not enough to be noticeable by the average bear. I think chrome takes longer to cool down too?
Old 09-18-2021, 8:48 PM

Im figuring you are gonna at least want a chrome lined barrel for the corrosion resistance and barrel life.

A lot of barrels are now coming pretreated or have the option to get the salt bath nitride treatment. I dont have one or shot one yet, but supposedly they are more accurate and more corrosion resistant.
Old 09-18-2021, 9:43 PM

Short version is chrome holds up better to the high heat from fully automatic fire hence that being in the military standard

Salt bath treatment by many different names provided some more consistent bore no chipping or flaking or thicker areas that can be an issue with chrome

Honestly if you can afford to shoot a barrel out with the price of ammo these days you can more than afford to buy a new barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2021, 9:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Still supposed to clean the **** first chance you get after each use no matter what type it is. You already know that though.
Uh, no.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 09-18-2021, 9:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCM16A2 View Post
What do you guys think of chrome lined versus non-chrome lined barrels? For the .308 AR? A2
As usual, what is the purpose of the rifle? Maximum accuracy? Then non-chrome lined. Utility carbine in 308 for hard use and ultimate durability/reliability? Chrome lined.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

Last edited by ohsmily; 09-18-2021 at 9:56 PM..
Old 09-18-2021, 10:32 PM

I have always loved the A2 stock, great price, fit exactly as it should.
Old 09-19-2021, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post
Short version is chrome holds up better to the high heat from fully automatic fire hence that being in the military standard

Salt bath treatment by many different names provided some more consistent bore no chipping or flaking or thicker areas that can be an issue with chrome

Honestly if you can afford to shoot a barrel out with the price of ammo these days you can more than afford to buy a new barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This nails it. Chrome lining lasts longer, but it's not a uniform process, so accuracy may be slightly less consistent than a stainless steel or nitrided/melonite barrel.

The quality control of the barrel manufacturing process is most important. I generally prefer stainless steel barrels since I shoot for precision, not mag dumps. But I'd rather take a chrome lined barrel from a quality manufacturer like FN, Noveske, or Criterion over some no-name stainless barrel. You typically get what you pay for with barrels.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2021, 6:37 AM
Veteran Member

I have an 18.5 Criterion coming. Light contour, for my hunting AR. A2
Old 09-19-2021, 12:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Since the advent of nitride/melonite barrels, I haven't purchased any chrome lined.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-19-2021, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
All things being equal I find non chrome lined barrels and nitrided perform better.

Not all finishes are equal either nor are the manufacturers. Nitride is great for the advantages of keeping a precise cut barrel precise inside and out. Precision and protection of the complete barrel makes more sense.

Chrome is old tech that works for squirting stuff out the muzzle end and keeps erosion manageable. Many manufacturers have switched to nitrided finish and junked the chrome process.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-19-2021, 10:14 PM

I personally opted to go with a 16” chrome lined barrel for my lmt mws simply for the benefits chrome line offers. Accuracy in the .5 moa is easily achievable with the right ammo/optic. Sacrificing a little accuracy for longevity is okay with me. Ymmv
Old 09-20-2021, 7:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have an 18.5 Criterion coming. Light contour, for my hunting AR. A2
I assume you've read this? Probably marketing hype but they are known for their quality. I have a 16" chrome lined waiting to go into a build once out of state.

https://criterionbarrels.com/media/c...v=7516fd43adaa

"...Criterion chrome lined barrels utilize an entirely different method of chrome lining. Our proprietary approach serves to ensure optimal bore uniformity throughout the chrome lining process.

Each chrome lined Criterion barrel is hand lapped and held to the same finish and uniformity requirements as our match grade stainless steel barrels. This chrome lining process produces a barrel that significantly increases durability through the more consistent and uniform application of the chrome lining while simultaneously offering national record-setting performance. Capable of generating sub-MOA groups with factory match ammunition and groups in the neighborhood of .5 MOA with handloads tailored to the individual barrel, Criterion is the only manufacturer in existence to offer a match-grade chrome lined AR-15 barrel....

...While each barrel is lapped prior to the salt bath nitriding process, they are also re-polished after nitriding to ensure a mirror-like internal surface in both the rifling and chamber. Accuracy of Criterion salt-bath nitrided barrels are on par with untreated match grade stainless-steel barrels. Enhanced durability and corrosion resistance also serve to significantly increase overall effective barrel life...."

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 09-20-2021, 5:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
I assume you've read this? Probably marketing hype but they are known for their quality. I have a 16" chrome lined waiting to go into a build once out of state.

https://criterionbarrels.com/media/c...v=7516fd43adaa

"...Criterion chrome lined barrels utilize an entirely different method of chrome lining. Our proprietary approach serves to ensure optimal bore uniformity throughout the chrome lining process.

Each chrome lined Criterion barrel is hand lapped and held to the same finish and uniformity requirements as our match grade stainless steel barrels. This chrome lining process produces a barrel that significantly increases durability through the more consistent and uniform application of the chrome lining while simultaneously offering national record-setting performance. Capable of generating sub-MOA groups with factory match ammunition and groups in the neighborhood of .5 MOA with handloads tailored to the individual barrel, Criterion is the only manufacturer in existence to offer a match-grade chrome lined AR-15 barrel....

...While each barrel is lapped prior to the salt bath nitriding process, they are also re-polished after nitriding to ensure a mirror-like internal surface in both the rifling and chamber. Accuracy of Criterion salt-bath nitrided barrels are on par with untreated match grade stainless-steel barrels. Enhanced durability and corrosion resistance also serve to significantly increase overall effective barrel life...."
I have a chrome lined Criterion 308 AR barrel that I can't get to do better than 1.5 MOA. Most loads I've tried are between 2.5 to 4 MOA. Not impressed.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-20-2021, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

Chrome lined 308 are hit or miss on accuracy. The stainless match are almost always great shooters.
Old 09-20-2021, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

Default Chron lined vs not chromed.

K1,

New or older barrel, just curious. I have a nitrided Criterion barrel that shoots lights out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B60CF4A1-9422-499A-AE9B-3F5F9E01DEA8.jpg (14.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-20-2021, 6:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
K1,

New or older barrel, just curious. I have a nitrided Criterion barrel that shoots lights out.
Probably about 5 years old.

Old 09-20-2021, 6:54 PM
Veteran Member

Depends on the value and quality of barrel. I got a Windham 308 and SCAR17 with CL barrels. Then I got a M&P10 with nitride barrel. The Windham and SCAR are subMOA at 100yds. Dont know what the M&P10 will do at 100yds. Havent taken it out that many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Civilization is four missed meals unwiped po0ps away from anarchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
And the lord appeared unto him and spoketh "tere henges". And he did knoweth in two weeks shall be the terrible boating accident whereas upon the mighty waves will the shoulder thing that goes up be lost beneath the sea. All rise. Sit down. Rise again. Sit down. Behold the non homo dancing. Amen
Old 09-20-2021, 7:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

K1Dude ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude
I have a chrome lined Criterion 308 AR barrel that
I can't get to do better than 1.5 MOA. Most loads I've tried are
between 2.5 to 4 MOA. Not impressed.
How's Fed Gold Medal 168gr?
Are you free floated?
Have a fitted bolt?

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-20-2021, 7:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Depending on the chroming & selection (rejection) process, chrome lined bbls can be accurate.

The 308 FN SPR bolt gun - their equivalent of the Remington 700 PSS - has a chrome lined barrel and is a same-hole-at-100yds gun.

308 barrel wear is not as severe, though, as 5.56 barrel wear: 308 is running at lower velocity (2500 fps vs 3300 fps for 5.56) and at a slower twist (1 in 10" twist, vs 1 in 7"...9" for 5.56). [Barrel wear on 5.56 is worse w rapid fire and (non-match) soft steel jacket ammo.]

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-20-2021, 7:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
K1Dude ...

How's Fed Gold Medal 168gr?
Are you free floated?
Have a fitted bolt?
Yes to all.

168 gr FGMM did poorly. Without looking up my notes, IIRC, it was about 2.5 MOA.

The barrel is free floated using an Apex GatorGrip handguard.

The bolt and barrel were purchased together from Fulton Armory and were verified to be correctly head spaced.

Old 09-20-2021, 7:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I have a chrome lined Criterion 308 AR barrel that I can't get to do better than 1.5 MOA. Most loads I've tried are between 2.5 to 4 MOA. Not impressed.
Bummer to hear that. I've been sitting on my Criterion chrome lined for a year. Another couple of months and I'll put it together.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 09-22-2021, 5:35 PM

If you think chrome barrels are not accurate pick up an LMT MWS and shoot it some time. My 16" CL MWS will hang right with and out shoot some bullets better than my ballistic advantage stainless barrels. This may be limited to few and not the rule but it does prove to me that chrome lined is not as accurate as an absolutel statement.
Old 09-22-2021, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
As usual, what is the purpose of the rifle? Maximum accuracy? Then non-chrome lined. Utility carbine in 308 for hard use and ultimate durability/reliability? Chrome lined.
What he said. You also may consider stainless if accuracy is of importance.