Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2021, 3:02 PM

Default Montana LLC Firearm Ownership

3 part question

I own a Montana LLC and wondering if there would be any advantages to transferring ownership of my firearm collection into the LLC?

If my firearms were owned by my LLC would there be an advantage of placing my ownership of the LLC in an irrevocable trust?

Lastly, as a California resident would there be any advantage to having the LLC make my future purchases? (Sub question: if the LLC legally purchased firearms that were are off-list in California, would possession of those firearms in California be illegal?)
Old 02-13-2021, 10:33 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZSAW View Post
I own a Montana LLC and wondering if there would be any advantages to transferring ownership of my firearm collection into the LLC?
Could help with transfer of ownership after you are deceased.

Quote:
If my firearms were owned by my LLC would there be an advantage of placing my ownership of the LLC in an irrevocable trust?
Exemptions for trustee in acquiring/importing firearms that are listed on a trust due to inheritance.

Trusts/Corporations are prohibited from owning certain types of firearms in CA.

Quote:
Lastly, as a California resident would there be any advantage to having the LLC make my future purchases? (Sub question: if the LLC legally purchased firearms that were are off-list in California, would possession of those firearms in California be illegal?)
CA residents are prohibited from importing firearms they acquire in another State, unless a CA FFL dealer is utilized or they qualify for an exemption.

CA resident that is trustee can not legally bring firearms that are on an out-of-state trust into CA without utilizing a CA FFL dealer.

The CA DROS system will not allow off-Roster non-exempt handguns from being imported into CA by a CA resident.

Exemption to this is if the CA resident trustee is doing this because the other responsible persons on the trust are deceased and the firearms are in the trust are also listed in the deceased's will.

Failure to utilize a CA FFL dealer to bring the firearms into CA results in a misdemeanor per long gun and a felony per handgun.

Bascially...
The out-of-state LLC can legally acquire firearms in another State, as long as the acquisition complies with all Federal and State laws.
But, those firearms can not be brought to CA, unless they are shipped to a CA FFL dealer and transferred (4473/DROS/10 day wait) to the CA resident that is a responsible person of the LLC.
Firearms need to be CA legal and can not include any large capacity magazines.
^If the firearms are handguns, then they need to be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt from it (C&R, OTP, SAE, SSE2).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-13-2021 at 10:40 PM..
Old 02-22-2021, 2:57 PM

Super helpful info!!! Thank you!!
Old 02-22-2021, 8:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Out of curiosity, how would such an LLC buy firearms in another state, given that its owner is a CA resident? How would 4473 be filled out?
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Galil .308 bolt & extractor, Saiga .223 bolt.